1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Ideas for a good looking standmount.

Discussion in 'd.i.y.' started by Chris, Jul 19, 2019.

1. JensenHealey

JensenHealey pfm Member

2. crimsondonkey

crimsondonkey pfm Member

Boenicke W5s

3. h.g.

h.g. pfm Member

I lusted after these when young but my tastes have evolved with time and I would now rather have a pair of wooden 401Bs or 401Cs. Good driver configurations don't evolve with time and a 1" tweeter, 4" mid and 2 x 8" woofers in a sealed cabinet of moderate 1' x 1' x 2' dimensions has got to be close to the ideal compromise for proper hi-fi in the home. A future DIY project perhaps with big chamfers of course?

4. JensenHealey

JensenHealey pfm Member

I am not aware of any current commercial speaker that is built on the same principles. Are there any?

5. James

James Lord of the Erg\o/s

6. h.g.

h.g. pfm Member

There are one or two small sealed floorstanders like the Nordic Tone which are slightly larger. The horizontal driver configuration on a stand isn't space efficient for the home with a conventional vertical configuration very likely being preferable. It can work for bookshelves and for tops of mixing desks or on stands behind them. The most common type of speakers using the 401's configuration would seem to be good quality centre speakers which need to be horizontal, small, placed close to walls and have subs to cover the lowest frequencies making a sealed cabinet preferable to ported.

As a potential DIY project with big chamfers and a stand I think a vertical arrangement is to be significantly preferred. Horizontal on a bookshelf the point of a narrow baffle with big chamfers is largely lost and a flatish baffle is likely preferable. A design choice to made there between stand or bookshelf usage.

HIgh quality low frequencies in a typical living room can only be practically achieved with distributed subs which makes a case for a sealed speaker with adequate cone area to handle transients down to 50 Hz. I suspect there may also be a reasonable case without distributed subs for those that find quieter room boom preferable to loud room boom.

7. peterm

peterm pfm Member

I had a pair of 401Cs on the end of a Naim 12s /160 and they sounded dead and over damped.
    They also look a bit large if you use them horizontally as intended.

I thought I'd made a big step up when I replaced the lot with a pair of early Meridian M2s and 101 pre.

Wish I'd kept the Naim kit now of course (but not the Gales).

8. h.g.

h.g. pfm Member

The Gales were famous in their day for being a challenging load to drive for amplifiers of the time. I know little about Naim but their amplifiers were somewhat idiosyncratic and may have well have struggled pushing high currents into the low impedance load of the Gales. A high power conventionally designed amplifier may have been a better match for the speakers or, given you seem to like the amplifier more than the speakers, speakers with a more benign load a better match for the amplifier.

9. peterm

peterm pfm Member

The (early) Naims that I had coped fine with Linn Saras and they were a difficult load!

10. JensenHealey

JensenHealey pfm Member

I tried to run Gales with an A & R 60 when i first had them Oops.

now i have a Roksan K2 amp which is very happy with them. not the largest room in the world...about 10ft x 20ft with a low domed ceiling.

They certainly wake up as the volume increases! when i bought them they were demonstrated on the end of a Linn Klout. Quite loud enough for me !

11. geoturbo

geoturbo Active Member

Wilson Benesch Discovery

TheDecameron likes this.
  12. Cereal Killer

Cereal Killer fourhundredandthirtytwo

A nice classic build

13. Cereal Killer

My DIY (designed by me, pair) built by Wilmslow Audio

[​IMG]

jimmytwos, geoturbo and sam_cat like this.
  14. geoturbo

geoturbo Active Member

Cereal are the latter a sealed bookshelf maybe?

15. Cereal Killer