1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Idiot/dangerous drivers

Discussion in 'off topic' started by fatmarley, May 6, 2019.

1. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

The trouble with trying to leave a decent gap to the car in front is that some twunt always fills it.

In rural Brittany they have a great system for controlling speed through small villages.
    As you approach there is a speed monitor.
    On the edge of the village is a set of traffic lights.
    If you exceed the speed limit at the speed monitor the lights turn red, stopping you before you get to the village centre.

2. Mr Cat

Mr Cat Owner

my lady's sisters partner is worth a few bob, and I asked him if he knew any white van men who would pick up an item of furniture for us... he said he's do it (was next to where he lives, and he lives 1/2 hour car journey from us..)… they brought it up and all good... I was going to slip him a tenner except I had nothing in my wallet at the time...they left...

she came later messaged my lady - if you could give us bottle of whisky he likes (20 quid) and a tenner for the petrol...wait, what?!?

Tony Lockhart likes this.
  3. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart pfm Member

And the problem is? It’s not as if you’re going backwards, is it? Just back off if it’s safe to do so to create the same gap.

fatmarley likes this.
  4. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

That’s my father you’re talking about. Are we related?

5. Mullardman

Mullardman Moderately extreme...

That's why he's worth a few bob. It's a different mindset. I bet he votes Tory too.

Arkless Electronics and Mr Cat like this.
  6. Mr Cat

Mr Cat Owner

we don't talk politics... he's long retired (just sold a small portfolio of houses) and spends his days playing bridge / snooker, and odd jobs for people...they even come to ours for a family meal, bring a homemade (and garden grown) pudding, then take home what's left.. :D

blossomchris likes this.
  7. JensenHealey

JensenHealey pfm Member

I saw this system in action on Lanzarote. Nearly every village had a stop light or two in the middle that was used solely to slow the traffic down. It is a brilliantly simple idea and should be implemented here in some villages. I have wondered why it isn't.

8. Mr Cat

Mr Cat Owner

funnily enough in Stanley, there are a set of traffic lights that will randomly change red for a few seconds then back to green (and of course stay red to let cars out of the junction), but I think it does this to let traffic come out of the right junction just further down, but it's a pita...

https://www.google.com/maps/@54.878...4!1sw33SGRWNaSMIu47b6dgmlw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

9. Mullardman

I'm not entirely sure of how widely your 'observational awareness' is defined, but if it roughly equates to 'driving acording to the conditions' plus 'spotting specific hazards'', then I'm with you all the way.

Many of the finer points of disagreement in this thread are most likely rooted in a failure to either describe, or grasp, the actual conditions (weather, visibility, traffic density, etc..) pertaining on the day of the alleged incident.

Just for a start, consider this. In heavy congestion, where all ( usually 3 ) lanes are effectively full and slow moviing....moving left may be rather more difficult to achieve, and may require a prolonged use of indicator, before anyone gives ground. I've even seen people just stop, in lane and wait for the penny to drop. It seems that a sort of mass 'what I have I hold' mentality kicks in. And of course all that indicating and mirror watching inevitably impairs your ability to watch the vehicle in front.

Conversely, if the motorway is pretty much empty, and whatever the rules .. in practical terms it doesn't matter a damn what lane you are in.

Two of my fave 'peeves'.

1. The bloke who goes through all sorts of angst to get past you without dropping below 85, only then, having done so, to swerve dangerously across three lanes and take the next exit. Why?

2. Those who, often despite warning signs ('Slow Lorries') wait until they are trapped between crawling HGVs before trying to pull out into the faster flow. ( See M62 where traffic 'runs away' downhill into the Irwell Valley, before all the heavy stuff virtually stops on the ensuing uphill bit towards Jn. 17.. and the consequent undignified scramble is a real hazard.

fatmarley and Andrew C! like this.
  10. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart pfm Member

I’ve seen the accounts for our parish. The money available for this per year is around £300. So it’ll have to come from the government, and they really don’t care. It doesn’t affect them, so why would they?

Mr Cat likes this.
  11. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

yes in my short period of 911 ownership, I dont think I have ever had the wide range of reactions to a car I have owned previously.

12. dweezil

dweezil pfm Member

First time driving home I nearly wrote ours off; entered Dartford tunnel at speed having done my usual nip away from the lights. Car didn't stop very quickly when I approached the next car as i'd
    caught my foot on the accelerator accidentally. I wished the car in front had seen me and panicked for a second.

13. linnfomaniac83

linnfomaniac83 I bet you can’t wheelie a unicycle!

Ah you see, people don’t generally become very wealthy by doing favours for people. There are exceptions, my best mate is a millionaire but he’s cleared snow off 15 meters of driveway to allow me to get out and about (I’m disabled), cleared a blocked drain for me, helped my parents build an extension, helped me move house, turned my garden from a jungle so something presentable, pulled new cabling to my kitchen and a whole load more. He will not have a penny off me. Instead I’ve helped him out where I can. Absolute top guy.

I probably could’ve been much wealthier by now but I give a lot of time and a fair amount of money away both helping friends and running charity events.

Mr Cat, Mullardman and blossomchris like this.
  14. cooky1257

cooky1257 pfm Member

My peeve is when overtaking slow moving traffic in the inside lane and someone from that lane pulls out to also overtake but fails to bloody accelerate-not just lorry drivers either...its as if they don't realise in order to pass the vehicle in front you need to exceed its sodding speed ;-)

farfromthesun likes this.
  15. Bart

Bart pfm Member

Oh dear! Hope this doesn't mean Phil the Greek will be asking for his licence back soon...

16. Mullardman

I was a member and chair of our Parish Council. I can confirm that Parish Councils don't have the funds.. but neither is traffic their responsibility. They can however raise issues with those who do have responsibility. It's a major part of their function. We had issues with the Jn. shown here:

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.5002202,-2.7067605,106a,35y,45.73h,45.01t/data=!3m1!1e3

There are two pubs, two T junctions, a few shops, a cafe,a takeaway, a small park/kids play area and residential stuff, all clustered around a high point in Main Street approx where the 'tag' 'Zsa Zsa Florists is, which obcures the view from all of the approaches. In addition, these are major pedestrian crossing points and drop offs for school buses. To top that the main road is a major artery between St Helens and Wigan. Beacon Road ( to the left) is steeper than it appears and has lousy views for those trying to exit from it. And the church holds frequent funerals. The photo doesn't really show the 'hilliness' of the area.

We (The Parish Council) had to approach the District Council on numerous occasions before they took notice. When they did, they sent out two officers who met us in the PC Chamber and lectured us on the number of fatalities etc., required to justify action. We then took them up to the Jn. for a 'Site Visit', whereupon the 'top' District Council Officer stood in front of the Eagle and Child with his back to the road, lecturing us on traffic flow, whilst we tried in vain to get him to turn around and actually look at the chaos and carnage occurring behind his back. It was Pythonesque. Meanwhile, the local 'Plod' weren't keen on any change as it might 'impede traffic flow' between Wigan and St Helens... 'Derrrr'!!!! Old Dennis.. the sometime Vicar, favoured traffic lights, I favoured a double mini roundabout.. though in retrospect maybe the lights are better. Many people seem to get very confused by mini roundabouts.. if they actually spot them at all. Lights are annoying and wasteful, but pretty unambiguous.

Anyway.. things have been much safer since the introduction of the lights, and they've had the knock on effect of creating gaps in the traffic which allow for the brave to cross at various other places in the village.

17. Mr Cat

Mr Cat Owner

indeed...he's a top guy too, and old fashioned and probably doesn't see anything wrong with it (it's how he makes a living afterall - despite him not needing the cash), but I wouldn't even think about charging family / in-laws to do a little favour like that... fair enough offering petrol money, but making a profit for 90 minutes of his time..? :(

linnfomaniac83 likes this.
  18. linnfomaniac83

Yes, similar here. Either that or people wanting to try and race me. I used to just let them go, they can have the satisfaction of telling their mates that they beat a Porsche in their fiesta Zetec S. I do like to take a fast car for a blast around some twisty roads sometimes but I utterly object to racing on public roads.

19. linnfomaniac83

Yep. To be clear, I wasn’t passing judgment on his personality, it’s just a fact of life that to become wealthy, you need to put a price on your time and your assets. My mate is an odd one out, he’s made a lot of good investments and done very well from them but he’s very much from a working class background where everyone mucks in and helps each other out.

Mr Cat likes this.
  20. Mr Cat

Mr Cat Owner

no worries, that thought never crossed me mind, I just wanted people to know that I think he is a sound guy, just different priorities to us...

linnfomaniac83 likes this.