1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

If you were introducing someone to jazz...

Discussion in 'music' started by MUTTY1, Jul 26, 2003.

1. Mullardman

Mullardman Moderately extreme...

That's interesting Tony as I've not really properly watched the later episodes yet. I still have them recorded from the recent re-run. Must get around to watching them.

2. Vinniemac

Vinniemac pfm Member

Can’t really argue with that. I only watched the version available in the UK, which was, I think, a few hours shorter than what was shown in the US. I did wonder if he covered the later years more fully there.

3. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I think the difference is the episodes are just shorter, no real difference in content or timeline, i.e. it still takes an absolute eternity even to get up to the age of stereo (1958) and then bangs everything from there onwards off in a couple of episodes in a most dismissive way. I love the idea of a huge in-depth jazz documentary, but the way it dealt with the period I like the most was just awful, even insulting to some of the greatest music ever written IMHO. I felt cheated as I remember watching all the Armstrong, Dorseys, Henderson, Waller etc period episodes thinking, wow this is great, I can’t wait until it gets to ‘my’ era, only to find anything electric, dissonant or stretched-out dismissed as a commercial flop, the dying days of jazz, or worse not even mentioned at all. Who knew the gentle retro-stylings of Wynton Marsalis were the only future for jazz?!

herb likes this.
  4. Take5

Take5 pfm Member

Introducing someone to jazz with only one album is a tall ask. In fact probably impossible

Frankly, jazz is not for all and some of the above suggestions will have the newcomer running from the scene,
    Having decided that jazz isn’t for them.

Such a shame.

What’s that LP called by Dave Brubeck, funny stuff going with time signatures. Especially that catchy little thing in 5/4 time. What’s it called.
    That would be a good introduction.

blossomchris likes this.
  5. herb

herb music live

I saw Wynton Marsalis last year in the Usher Hall. It was OK but the star was a section from a Scottish very famous female classical violin player. I enjoyed it, and he did too, so did she, but it was not good jazz.

6. Take5

Take5 pfm Member

Lovely, but with respect that wasn’t jazz. It was a piece composed by marsalis for Nicola Benedetti. A classical violinist.

herb likes this.
  7. blossomchris

blossomchris I am not searching, I know what I am looking for.

From my experiences of getting into jazz on here, I feel sure if I sat and listened to IASW at the time of release, I would have got this album.

This Mull, sums it up for me, sort of.

Bloss

8. Marchbanks

Marchbanks Golly, do I ever have a lot of soul!

It would depend where they are coming from. A rock fan would get ‘Jack Johnson’ rather than Jacques Loussier, a classical buff might prefer ‘Sketches of Spain’ to Sons of Kemet.

9. kjb

kjb pfm Member

I think I'd start by taking them to see something live rather than with a record. A lot of towns have a decent mainstream jazz club - it doesn't need to be a big name. There's something about seeing the interplay between musicians and instruments, the virtuosity and the way solos work that makes the records easier to understand. I still get a huge kick out of watching jazz drummers live although on record they interest me a little less ( unless it Tony Williams), Their reaction to the live show would then guide some suggested listening.

A friend's daughter took him to see Nubya Garcia for a birthday present. Prior to that he'd been living on a diet of soft rock and new wave. Now he can't get enough jazz.

10. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

Agree - it's impossible. Anyone care to suggest the one rock LP I should listen to? Or the one classical recording?

FWIW my interest in jazz was sparked by John Zorn playing Ornette Coleman tunes.

Engels likes this.
  11. foxwelljsly

foxwelljsly Keep Music Vile

I think the first jazz albums I bought were titles by Monk and Sonny Rollins. Seems as good a place as any to start.

12. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

I am that person who was turned on to (modern) jazz about two years ago when a friend brought 'Jazz Samba ENCORE (not just Jazz Samba)' by Stan Getz etc. round to my bake-off. I used to stomp to the trad bands in the mid/late fifties and early sixties, but never cottoned on to modern. This '63 record combines melody, female vocal, variety of tracks and complex instrumental syncopation. It started me listening to the Saturday afternoon jazz line-ups of 2 + hours on R3, which is now de rigeur.

That's the record, therefore, that I'd choose as an introduction. I played it earlier this year to another friend, who immediately sought it out from online markets.

13. Mullardman

Mullardman Moderately extreme...

The first jazz record I bought was 'The Duke in Harlem', by Ellington, featuring a dozen rare and previously unreleased songs from 1926-1930.
    The next was 'Time Further Out' by Brubeck. ( 'Time Out' was old hat by then ;) )
    Next was an album whose title I forget, by the MJQ, which featured 'Softly, As In A Morning Sunrise'

Similar history to Mike.. possibly different direction.. but that's music

14. Darkagesound

Darkagesound pfm Member

I’ve only got into jazz in the past 18 years or so (I’m 60). I was vaguely aware of jazz, mainly through hearing some swing and trad jazz – I’d even gone to a Kenny Ball and his jazzmen concert as a teenager – and then through my interest in classical music I’d had a period of enthusiasm for Claude Bolling’s crossover work with classical musicians (for example his Suite for Flute and Jazz Piano Trio with Jean-Pierre Rampal). I’d heard of people like Duke Ellington, Louis Armstrong and Glenn Miller but I knew next to nothing about the wider world of jazz. It must have been around 2000 when Ashley Kahn published his book Kind of Blue: the making of the Miles Davis masterpiece that my interest was piqued and I went out and bought this wonderful album. I probably found the jazz100.sffjazz.com website the most helpful in directing me to new listening along with the good folks at Broad Street Jazz in Bath, now sadly no more.

A long preamble to say that I would nominate Man Made Object by Go Go Penguin. I was playing this to some mates at a recent book group meeting and many of them, self-confessed jazz neophytes, loved it.

Engels likes this.
  15. jan tomczak

jan tomczak pfm Member

volker goetze quintet - bridges

16. timola

timola pfm Member

Maybe a movie might help.

Jazz doesn't do it for me, but these movies are great.

17. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Waiting for the streetcar..

The first 'jazz' track I enjoyed was hearing the full length version of 'Street Life' on Dave Gelly's Night Owls show on Radio 2 n the early 80s but it wasn't until the next decade that I I serious;y started buying jazz. Working in a record shop with a bunch of jazz heads helped and the album I heard that forced me into paying good money for it was 'The Cat' by Jimmy Smith, I heard the theme from 'The Carpetbaggers' thought, "Oh! The theme from the 'Money Programme." Picked a copy up on cassette for £3.99 in Our Price and then, deciding I needed to get some more jazz bought two samplers - the 'Compact Jazz' sampler (a collection of the early Verve CD best ofs) and 'ECM Spectrum' which got me into Wes Montgomery, Chuck Mangione, Gerry Mulligan, Pat Metheny, John Surman, Terje Rypdal, Keith Jarrett etc... The next albums I think I bought were 'Heavy Weather' followed by 'In a Silent Way'

18. shrink

shrink pfm Member

"kind of blue" was what did it for me. My first listen through headphones and I was lost to my love for Jazz for years to come.

Peter McDermott likes this.
  19. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

20. manicatel

manicatel pfm Member

If it were me, I’d try the get a handle on what the person already likes. If it was funk, I’d suggest jazz funk, later Miles Davis, chick corea, weather report etc. Someone into Prog may dig some of the Scandinavian stuff eg esbjorn svennson trio.
    Try to make a bridge between the familiar & the new.