1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

In The Year 2016

Discussion in 'off topic' started by I.D.C., Mar 29, 2020.

1. I.D.C.

I.D.C. pfm Member

The government did a practice emergency on a world wide flu epidemic. The stand out result was the UK did not have enough ventilators and PPE for front line health workers. A Tory minister at the time was quoted - we are not going to throw money at the health service during austerity. This is in a Sunday paper read out on the Andrew Marr show.

2. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Hardly surprising. Austerity has killed more people than CV19 in the UK to date. As I keep being reminded by the Brexiteers and Tories here, this has been voted for. You lost, gerroverit. Itsa willofa people innit? Yes it is. Several times over. Now there are going to be some oldies die. If one of them is your granny, then this is what you voted for. Gerroverit.

Roger Adams, matt j and I.D.C. like this.
  3. Joe

Joe pfm Member

And ,curiously , Italy did......

I.D.C. likes this.
  4. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr Staying alert

Presumably, what was modelled was 'flu', not the current acute respiratory distress condition we see with Covid-19. So, extrapolate from the 'better' preparation in Italy (seeing what a disaster this has been, even there) and consider how the (not so well-equipped) NHS will fare.

Not a nice prospect, is it?

I.D.C. likes this.
  5. PaulMB

PaulMB pfm Member

No, it did not. But, apparently, still more than the UK NHS.

6. Roger Adams

Roger Adams pfm Member

Italy also had by far the highest number of elderly people, at risk of respiratory diseases, on planet Earth IIRC.

Italy also has a health service that is ranked 2nd in the World overall - none but the wilfully blind would imagine that the NHS was a leading health service.

Let us just be honest whilst we are here. How many of PFM have had their vote influenced by the issue of taxation? Either Direct or Indirect?

How many here, on the higher rate band, are happy or never give a thought to receiving a 10% discount on National Insurance on their better wages?

How many of those rely on the NHS throughout their lives?

One thing so many need to learn in the UK (after so many years I cannot see it happening) is that World Class Public Services require ongoing investment which requires a fairer tax system that avoids a high percentage of loopholes.