1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Incident on London Bridge - Police shots fired

Discussion in 'off topic' started by lordsummit, Nov 29, 2019.

1. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Just as well I'm not trying to score cheap points like you. I thought you were better than that, you've managed to demonstrate that you're not.

2. Joe

Joe pfm Member

........and yet................................

" I thought you were better than that, you've managed to demonstrate that you're not."

3. flatpopely

flatpopely Prog Rock/Moderator

Both sets of parents of the victims are showing remarkable courage and humility in NOT wanting their childrens deaths used for poltical point scoring.

4. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Yes indeed. This is a factual statement, EV's arguments are usually good and this cheap shot is piss poor, as has been pointed out by others here. I really did think he was better than that, and to call this out is not a cheap shot.

5. eternumviti

eternumviti pfm Member

Hang on just a minute, you're really accusing me of taking the cheap shots? This logic isn't merely contorted, it's twisted.

My remark was aimed (as well you know) at the small handful on this thread who are using it to give vent to their spiteful prejudices over the matter of people who were educated at Eton College, of whom it seems that you are a something of a leading light.

For all of the perceptions of Eton as a standard bearer of wealth, influence and privelege, it is worth bearing in mind that as well as all the rapacious and grimly unapologetic greasy pole capitalists of your imagination, the college has given us some of our greatest statesmen, intellectuals, scientists, doctors, artists, writers, playwrights, musicians and benefactors, not to mention soldiers, of whom a staggering 1157 gave their lives in the Great War alone and a further 748 in the last war, a pretty impressive contribution to your ability to be able to live a life of freedom and opportunity.

It might be worth also mentioning that benefactors to the school, undoubtedly the vast majority themselves old Etonians and therefore seething 'millionaire racists', give around £7 million a year to provide bursaries for pupils whose parents can't afford the fees. There are around 80 pupils who pay no fees at all. One such scheme is the Orwell (another OE) Bursary, which provides £100,000 a year for a dozen kids from absolutely any background who cares to apply for it, and which has given undreamt of opportunities to children from often very poor backgrounds. Some of them, you will be shocked to learn, even come from racial and religious minorities.

Zip it, Steve, you're out of order on this one, and you know it.

6. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

I agree, yet regrettably their voices went unheeded by someone in a position of the highest responsibility.

7. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

There is a clear difference to be observed between the privilege of Eton and the truly vile class-warrior elitism of the Bullingdon Club. I suspect some may not be making that distinction.

Chops54 likes this.
  8. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Mate of the bloke

Well, quite. George Orwell went to Eton!

9. eternumviti

eternumviti pfm Member

The Bullingdon Club relates to Oxford University. I don't imagine it exists any more.

10. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

That’ll be the Orwell Bursary that has been in existence since July 2019 ( that’s 6 months!) will it?

A critic might say its creation is a cynical reaction to the threat of charitable status removal.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
    ff1d1l likes this.
  11. Joe Hutch

It does.

12. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

It still exists (Wikipedia) and will almost certainly be providing us with vile entitled class-warriors to lead the Conservative Party for quite some time.

13. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

Eton fees are over 14,000 a half (although there appear to be 3 halves! Contorted logic or what) plus registration fees, plus acceptance fees, plus fees to do music, plus £500 to £1000 per term for ‘extras’. That comes to somewhere around £50k a year

I make that enough for no more than two kids a year, not a dozen.

How many of those are from poor backgrounds? How poor were these backgrounds? How many were from racial and religious minorities?

14. Joe Hutch

Depends whether it's £100,000 or 12 times £100,000.

15. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

Not everyone one who went to Eton is a racist or a millionaire, the description was more specific. Are you working yourself up? for you don’t seem bothered about using labels like EUSSR. I view that as cack-handed but there are plenty in continental Europe who will be repelled by it because they have relatives slaughtered or falsely imprisoned and transported by Stalin. Millions of them.

16. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Proper Tory maths that; ‘two halves for me, one for you...’.

ff1d1l, richgilb and ks.234 like this.
  17. Marky-Mark

Marky-Mark pfm Member

All this digital ink over such a weak game. We have people with armories in their trunk who stop by public schools for target practice, or hang out hotel windows with bumpstocks banging at death metal tempo mowing down concertgoers for Lulz. Meanwhile, youze guyz are full-on estrogen overload when a cathedral catches fire.

Joe Hutch and mandryka like this.
  18. mandryka

mandryka pfm Member

I’d be quite surprised if many people who went to Eton aren’t millionnaires, unless they’ve lost it or drugged it away.

I’m not an Etonian, but I have known and do know many. In my experience the college moulds them into quite a distinctive type of person, one who is often tolerant and one who tries to be good and kind, and one who is not at all arrogant. And yet the Etonians I have known have all been quietly confident of their superiority. An Etonian is aware that he has a huge amount of cultural capital, but he doesn’t hold your relative inferiority against you. When I was at university I met people from many different schools, and the Etonian character was, I’d say, unique, distinctive.

The cost far exceeds 14K a term by the way - that’s just the school fees. With all the rest, you can double it, or that’s what a friend of mine who sent his son there says.

19. eternumviti

eternumviti pfm Member

As I recall, I withdrew the comment, which was hyperbolic.

I don't recall many people here withdrawing comparison of the tories with the nazis, repeatedly posting up childish pictures to that effect from 'meme factory' or somesuch, indeed even saying things like J R-M is 'worse' than a Nazi. Which is to say worse than a regime which directly killed some 6 million people.

mandryka likes this.
  20. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

There is clear evidence the Conservative Party and their right-wing press-barons are using many Goebbels propaganda techniques, they are certainly not above demonising minorities, and they are clearly seeking to erode human rights, parliamentary scrutiny and judicial accountability (its in their manifesto!) just as the pre-war German Nazi party did. Clearly no one is comparing them to the Nazis at the height of their mass genocide, just observing similarities with the early 1930s, which should be evident to all who have even casually researched that period. Warnings from history are there to be heeded after all.

Covkxw, jackbarron and mandryka like this.
  21. eternumviti

eternumviti pfm Member

I suspect that you could make similarly facile comparisons of pretty much any political party or movement with which you happen not to agree. I'm no lover of Johnson or the current crop of tories, but I think you might be losing your grip if you really believe that they are heading in the direction that the nazi party and Germany were in the 1930s.

And yes, I've read the manifesto, including page 48.