1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

India vs USA -- coronavirus mismatch -- wealth and travel?

Discussion in 'off topic' started by vuk, Mar 23, 2020.

1. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

2. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

3. lagavullin10y

lagavullin10y pfm Member

Age and obesitas are huge factors. India is young.

seyles likes this.
  4. Bananahead

Bananahead pfm Member

If you really want to compare numbers then:-

Switzerland 7474 cases 98 deaths 131 recovered

UK 5745 cases 282 deaths 137 recovered

5. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

It is pretty safe to conclude India isn’t testing. I hate to think what will happen when this virus rips through the densely populated slum areas of India, Pakistan, Brazil, Africa etc. It is coming to them as it is coming everywhere. They may not be testing the active cases but the body-count will be unmissable. The only hope is that hotter climates impede transmission to some degree, but that is not proven yet.

6. garyi

garyi leave blank

Vuk you have always struck me as intelligent, do you believe either of these figures is an actual representation of anything?

Bananahead and Big Tabs like this.
  7. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

I'm hanging my hat on that one, as spring seems to be drier and summer is nigh. Feel sad for all those people who won't be able to get out and about when the first really warm spells arrive. Inside a small area with no air-con and no tennis (or anything?) to watch. Also glad this 2019 plague didn't arrive here until the end of a wet winter.

8. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

Can't see the relevance of the unfolding situation and Cuomo's presumed politics, Vuk. Are the two linked in some way?

9. mandryka

mandryka pfm Member

I heard on the news this morning that Africa is now being severely hit. This virus doesn’t seem to be slowed down by warm weather. Self isolation is impossible there, with nomadic communities and a very social lifestyle even for those who are not nomads.

10. Big Tabs

Big Tabs hearing problems

That was my first thought when I saw this thread.

11. SteveS1

SteveS1 I heard that, pardon?

UK Pop 66 Million (12M > 65) Switzerland 8.5 Million (1.5M > 65) and the unkown is how many more tests have been done in Switzerland.

12. Bananahead

Bananahead pfm Member

Which is my point. It is wrong to compare India against the USA.

SteveS1 likes this.
  13. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

The virus does not mind hot climates.
    This means that countries may be able to purge the virus out internally after couple of months true and effective lockdown, but reopening international travel is out until a vaccine has been distributed
    India and its immediate neighbours are a major source of manual labour in the ME and SE Asia.
    By the time this is over, the receiving countries will have found a way to not need the cheap labour.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
  14. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

???

15. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

Someone is going to rush out an untested vaccine soon.
    My money would be on the USA.
    There was a warning lesson recently when the new tested dengue vaccine had to be withdrawn, as dengue kills by getting the wrong immune system response to the serotype you catch.
    Nobody knows yet if COVID is stable enough to avoid this.

16. Alex S

Alex S carbon based lifeform

With Trump at the helm it’s guaranteed.