1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Induction hobs, pacemakers and lead sheet

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Whaleblue, Mar 18, 2020.

1. Whaleblue

Whaleblue Southbound

Another request for advice.

We’re installing an induction hob against a partition wall. It’s having a down-draught extractor behind it, so from the back of the hob to the other side of the wall will be about 25cm.

I understand that it’s best for those with pacemakers to keep at least a couple of feet (60cm) away from an induction hob when it’s on, so I’m wondering if it’s worth putting lead sheet in the wall (to be built, so not hard to achieve) to ensure no future issues (surprises!) if anyone with a pacemaker ever stands/sits directly on the other side of the wall from the hob.

Would roofing flashing at 1.32mm thick work? Such as this:

https://www.roofingsuperstore.co.uk/product/code-3-1m-x-6m.html

2. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

Induction hobs switch in the 25~50 KHz range, so more of a magnetic field effect. An earthed metal mesh in wall is a convenient way to reduce a field on the other side of the wall.
    Lead is a bad choice , poor electrical conductor, soft, heavy and expensive

3. Joe

Joe pfm Member

Induction hobs don't produce radioactive emissions .

Lead is pointless in that application.

Dozey and Whaleblue like this.
  4. hc25036

hc25036 pfm Member

This - and make sure it won't rust....

5. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

If this is a problem, just buy a non induction hob. Remove the risk by eliminating the hazard. Health and Safety Management 1:01.

Whaleblue, hifinutt, Linds and 2 others like this.
  6. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

My first thoughts.

7. Konteebos

Konteebos Traitor Re-joiner

What you really need is a mumetal cage around the cooker and a large helmholtz coil around the kitchen, or a gas hob...

Dozey likes this.
  8. foxwelljsly

foxwelljsly Keep Music Vile

Doesn't Health and Safety management 1:01 mention risk assessment?

Induction hobs are, by far, the best electrical hobs to cook on and also use less energy than any alternative.

If this is a serious risk, I'd like to know why it isn't flagged in building regs. A quick google doesn't throw up reports of any serious incidents caused by this issue, only some guidance for pacemaker users on the BHF website which also says that catastrophic interference is very unlikely. It's worth noting that the BHF offer no suggestion that additional mitigations shoud be incumbent on those installing induction hobs. Given that 20% of all new cookers are induction hobs and it's hardly a new technology, I would expect any significant risks associated with their use and installation to have been flagged in big red letters by now.

Of course, the recent case of smart motorways demonstrate that you can be pretty far down the line before risks are properly accepted and I'm happy to stand corrected.

9. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

If we're looking at the textbooks, then we are way in advance of a risk assessment. This is "Identify the hazards" and as I imply in "if this is a problem" and you say above, you don't consider, it may not be. Either way, eliminating the hazard is top of the pile of the hierarchy of control. How do you protect someone from falling down a hole in the ground? Fill the hole in.

10. foxwelljsly

foxwelljsly Keep Music Vile

Fair dos, I don't think it's a hazard of any significance.

stevec67 likes this.
  11. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Yeah, they made an arse of that bit of the changes. Dynamic speed limits, yes that works, camera monitoring of traffic likewise, cars immobilised in live lanes, hmm didn't think of that. Time to have another think, this time before spending millions.

12. Whaleblue

Whaleblue Southbound

D’uh! My schoolboy physics deserted me!

Thanks!

13. Whaleblue

Whaleblue Southbound

This was my thought too - just wondering whether any mitigation worth taking while it’s still easy to achieve.

14. Whaleblue

Whaleblue Southbound

Don’t get started on that!

Not just immobilised vehicles, but temporarily “immobilised”, but perfectly functioning, ones at the M25 / M3 junction, which was designed by an utter idiot.

15. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Or the Huddersfield turnoff of the M62 every morning. Or basically any exit of the M1 southbound south of Sheffield, or the A1/A46 exit, or...

Whaleblue and Barrymagrec like this.
  16. Whaleblue

Whaleblue Southbound

BTW - Presumably something like galvanised chicken wire??

17. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

I was thinking about something more substantial like rebar mesh.
    Making the long term earth connection is not trivial, we spot weld on railway projects

Whaleblue likes this.