1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Integrated amp for P3 ESR

Discussion in 'audio' started by TonyScarlett, Dec 29, 2018.

1. Tigerjones

Tigerjones Bagpuss

One of the best combinations I had with the P3s was with an Eastern Electric Mini Max pre and power amp. 8 watts. Crystal clear.

2. Tarzan

Tarzan pfm Member

How do the standard P3 sound compared to the Anni version sound Mr Badger?:)

3. badger748

badger748 pfm Member

Obviously they are very similar. Initially I used them on the same stands. The Anniversay ones just were a bit more refined - not huge changes - very subtle improvments in imaging and depth. Marginal gains I believe the term is. If you liked the std P3's, the Anni ones just give you a bit more.
    The biggest improvment I got was putting them on Tontrager stands. Hideously expensive - but OMG what a result.

4. Tarzan

Tarzan pfm Member

Will take a gander at Tontrager stands.:)

5. S-Man

S-Man Kinkless Tetrode Admirer

Blame Stan Curtis!

hifinutt likes this.
  6. Old Shatterhand

Old Shatterhand Odeon Audio user

For the same reason you tell people that they don't need that much power. Their experience is different and you and they listen different music at a different distance with different volume.;)

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  7. Martyn Miles

Martyn Miles pfm Member

Or even thank him...

8. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

ah thanks for that , what an amazing guy and i never knew he was the chap behind stans safari i read in hi fi critic

9. BLACKMASS

BLACKMASS pfm Member

If you don’t mind me asking…How did you get on?

10. TonyScarlett

TonyScarlett pfm Member

Sorry haven't got round to posting my thoughts yet, had a busy week. Short answer to what I thought of it is; I've ordered one. Slightly longer answer is; Sound wise it is everything I have been looking for, muscular & superbly well defined bass, highly musical, slightly on the warmer side of neutral & lot's of detail but not over analytical presentation. While I was there Clive suggested I also try the Roksan Caspian which sonically is quite similar to the Exposure but just didn't seem to string the music along as effortlessly or enjoyably. I know I'm going to face some criticism for not trying out some other alternatives but as I've pointed out in previous posts, life is short & sometimes you hear something that just sounds "right". I had that experience on Saturday.

barryb, BLACKMASS, Seanm and 2 others like this.
  11. BLACKMASS

BLACKMASS pfm Member

Thanks for your response, much appreciated.

As the saying goes ‘’when you know you know’’. I had three separate demos of Naim amps (I really wanted to like them) but they left me cold. As soon as I heard the Exposure amp it just sounded ‘right’ to me too.

Enjoy!

narabdela likes this.
  12. Tarzan

Tarzan pfm Member

Good show- enjoy!:)

13. TonyScarlett

TonyScarlett pfm Member

I've demoed Naim amps myself in the past, like yourself I really wanted to like them but they have always left me cold. Really looking forward to getting the Exposure, going to take a couple of weeks to arrive. Should give me time to get the Planar 6 & Trilogy 906 burned in, they should be arriving today or tomorrow.

narabdela, Tarzan and BLACKMASS like this.
  14. pjdowns

pjdowns pfm Member

Not a well known brand in the UK, but I use a Belles integrated amplifier, which succeeded a good quality Exposure pre/power combo, which was good but the Belles is in a completely different league IMHO.

Like the above couple of comments, I much preferred Exposure over Naim, as I have always found Naim amps too forward and for me at least, devoyed of music. Much more mechanical sounding and harsh. Exposure have a similar but much warmer presentation.

The Belles I have has a much more open, smoother and detailed sound than either the Naim or Exposure with a massive front to back sound stage and excellent positioning of the musicians.

narabdela likes this.
  15. Tarzan

Tarzan pfm Member

It is all go at your house.:)

16. PeteVid

PeteVid pfm Member

I'm using my Harbeths with a Nad D3020 which is very pleasing to me.