1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

iPadOS 13.1 - experiences

Discussion in 'off topic' started by whatsnext, Sep 26, 2019.

1. whatsnext

whatsnext Naimless

I put one iPad to 13.1. Most of the newness is of no interest. Not a lot is wreaked but I haven’t done a disciplined evaluation.

For now I am keeping well away from Catalina.

Anything to share?

2. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I installed it last night and there is still a lot to explore, but my first impression is that it is a huge step up. Since its inception the iPad has been an amazing piece of hardware nobbled with a smartphone OS, incapable of even basic computer functionality such as file handling, accessing external storage medium etc. This gulf has become more and more extreme as the hardware has got better and better (the iPad Pro is pure Star Trek technology!) yet still nobbled by a hopeless phone OS. iPadOS appears to close that gap somewhat, but even so I’d far prefer to be able to run an OS X grade OS on the iPad Pro as the hardware is more than up to it. iPadOS certainly represents a good step in the right direction and is likely enough to get me to splash out on a Pro when the next generation of models are announced (I’m currently running an Air 2).

3. AndyU

AndyU pfm Member

Happy so far, the multi-tasking stuff will take a bit of getting used to. You have to be careful with your gestures - if you scroll up from the bottom to try and pull up the task bar and you over do it the open app disappears and you end up on the home screen. This is very annoying and won’t suit older folk. Only bug I’ve encountered is that it can get upset when changing orientation. The task bar moves but the icons don’t.

4. Rack Kit

Rack Kit pfm Member

Better not let @Joe P hear that!

Anyway, what's so special about the tech in the current iPad Pro?

I do know that IOS 13 has shrunk the app icons size down by at least half.

5. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Amazing screen, amazing processor technology (4 core, 10 billion transistors on a 7nm chip die), great efficiency and battery life and wonderful ergonomics and usability. It is an astonishing piece of technology IMO. It makes Intel PCs etc look rather tired and dated. All that is needed now is a real high-end OS to match its capabilities, though iPadOS really does seem to raise the game a fair bit. Have a search on YouTube for the new features etc, it is a lot more powerful.

6. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

Installed

iPad 6th gen

no longer dropping out occasionally

much faster

7. Joe P

Joe P certified Buffologist / mod

However

turns sentences

into fragments

8. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

Delete unnecessary information.

think of it as a Beckett play.

9. Joe P

10. Darth Vader

Darth Vader From the Dark Side

If you take time to read through the Apple technical papers it becomes clear that although the iPad/iPhone uses a CPU and RAM etc it is not designed as a computer, The architecture is quite different.

However what plans Apple have for the future I haven't a clue as it will be demand i.e. profit led.

Cheers,

DV

11. Joe P

Darth,

I'm not sure what you're getting at but an iPad or iPhone is most definitely a computer. It may be overpriced, purposely hampered in ability, available in too many colours, etc., but it's a computer.

Joe

12. Darth Vader

Darth Vader From the Dark Side

Its no more a computer than the latest fridges or for that matter a cisco device. Just because it has a CPU, RAM, graphics, keyboard, screen etc doesn't make something a computer. These iThingies are tools that will do stuff for us its just that they look more attractive than a fridge that tells us via email that certain foods are about to go off or the coffee machine that has notified us over WiFi that it needs refilling. All these devices have the hardware elements of a computer and they have to have software in order to do functions but not the architecture.

I have read several Apple papers and this stuff works differently and on purpose. So the 'shortcommings' that Tony describes are deliberate by design.

The key thing about a computer is that the user can program it and run the code that interacts with the hardware. Even at its very basic you should be able to enter the op codes and press run. You don't even need an O/S installed to do this either. Remember the term 'front panel' and later a 'glass front panel'. You should also be able to pass and share information between applications.

The user of this stuff cannot do any of these things even if you are a commercial user and pay the license fee for the Apple tools that let you write an 'app'. Your code is locked into a box so that it cannot get out nor interact with anything else. This is good as it means that the user has a stable tool and apps can't go wild and screw your device.

All this is described in technical jargon in the Apple documents.

Cheers,

DV

13. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

What do you view as the key differences? I’ve never researched the architecture but would have assumed it is just an uber-clever ARM-based SBC with some very fancy bespoke GUI design. iOS is FreeBSD based just like OS X.

PS To put it another way it’s just a tiny flat Acorn Archimedes from the future!

Wolfmancatsup and mikechadwick like this.
  14. Joe P

Darth,

Both iPads and iPhones are computers.

Joe

15. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

That isn’t an architecture thing, that’s a design and marketing thing. By the fact one can install updates and even ‘jail-break’ it suggests there is an open functional computer architecture beneath, we just have issues with the OS.

In fairness iPad OS does add a fair bit more functionality in this area, really quite a lot actually (moving data between apps, file-handling, interfacing with external devices etc).

PS I view ‘computer architecture’ as a hardware thing, which may be why we are at cross purposes somewhat.

16. Joe P

Darth,

I'm not defending that they're hampered purposely by design by Apple. I'm trying to understand in what way an iPhone or an iPad fails to meet the definition of a computer.

Asked another way, in what sense is an iPad or iPhone not a device for computation? It carries out sequences of logical operations via a program (aka, app), just like the thing on my desk I'm typing on right now.

Joe

17. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

it is computer, it can be programmed, you can create apps etc. But it is a closed environment, heavily controlled by Apple - which is why users like it so much. And why real computer scientists hate them so much.

As to whether architecture is pure hardware, that is moot.

18. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

The development tool - XCODE - is free to anyone who wants to download it.

I expect to see laptops using ARM chips in the next few years, this doesn’t mean they’ll be running the same OS as an iPad.

19. wylton

wylton pfm Member

13.1 downloading as we speak...

20. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Me too, in fact I was baffled when they released a new high-end Mac Pro recently with the old Intel architecture. I’ve been expecting them to converge for a long while now, it just makes no sense running entirely different processor architecture, especially when the ones they are sticking in the laptops and desktops arguably aren’t as good as the ones in the phones! I can picture a range of MBPs, iMacs etc with multiple A13x chips that would be way more powerful than any Intel offerings and way more energy efficiency with amazing battery life in the laptops. More secure too. I’m surprised it is taking them so long!