1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Is it worth buying new releases on vinyl?

Discussion in 'music' started by Peter McDermott, Feb 9, 2019.

1. MotelBlues

MotelBlues pfm Member

It was the quality (or lack thereof) of modern non-audiophile vinyl that drive me to high-(or even CD)-resolution downloads and a Hugo. It seemed wrong to waste Lyra hours on records that sounded inferior to the MP3 downloads they were bundled with. Then again, if almost half your target audience never played the records they bought why would you bother with QC?

I’ve started buying the occasional non-audiophile new vinyl pressing again, but only when thoroughly vetted on forums such as this one.

To the OP, I have the new Sharon Van Etten on 24/96 and it sounds fine to me on headphones; haven’t had a chance to play it on my main system yet. I have “Pirates” on CD, and it has possibly the most impractically huge dynamic range of any recording I own.

2. Dozey

Dozey Air guitar member

They are worth buying if you like the artwork.

3. Peter McDermott

Peter McDermott pfm Member

That could be a sub-debate: has artwork declined in quality since the advent of CD and other digital media?

4. Engels

Engels pfm Member

As a collector yes...
    If it comes with a digital download copy (24bit lossless pref) yes...
    If it comes with a CD copy yes...

5. Dozey

Dozey Air guitar member

I don't know if the quality of artwork has declined - that sounds like a subjective question. However I would rather look at a 12 x 12 inch representation or a gate-fold sleeve than a cd booklet regardless of when the artwork was originally made.

MusicMiles likes this.
  6. Vince Parkin

Vince Parkin pfm Member

Clare Teal singing Ella Fitzgerald is quite fabulous. It was done live cut, the record was being cut as the performance played. Lovely production.

Peter McDermott likes this.
  7. Vince Parkin

Vince Parkin pfm Member

Also The Travelling Wilburys 3 LP boxset is another gem in my opinion.

8. Big Tabs

Big Tabs hearing problems

yes, for me it is worth buying new releases on record.

I am not sure how to qualify 'worth buying.' It is too subjective a question.

Many folks appear to buy new records, otherwise they wouldn't be any for sale.

I like records, I buy records. I play records. It keeps me happy.

MusicMiles likes this.
  9. Yank

Yank Bulbous Also Tapered

It's hard to make valid generalizations about new releases on vinyl. Each must be judged on its own merits.

leroyd likes this.
  10. Peter McDermott

Thanks Big Tab and Yank. Part of the reason I was asking was because of current recording methods , since we went over to digital (dominance of CD onwards) are we getting a different product from when I was buying records in the 1970s and 80s?

11. Peter McDermott

Sorry Big Tabs, not Big Tab, replying on my phone

12. Big Tabs

Big Tabs hearing problems

If it sounds good then I buy it. Not really bothered about focusing on the method of recording, If my ears like it, that is fine. I am listening to the music, not the process.

13. Peter McDermott

Fair comment.

14. poco a poco

poco a poco pfm Member

Quite often yes even if the master is digital. This is because of the dammed 'loudness wars' many releases, at least in the popular field, have very high levels of compression and little dynamic range to enable them to sound louder. You can't use these same high levels and compression for vinyl as you would with CD because either you would end up with too short a side length or one groove would break through to the other because of the size of the groove and lack of pitch spacing between grooves. Plus you could possibly burn out the (very expensive and now some times very difficult to replace these days) cutter head.

Disc cutting and loudness is explained explained by Jim Lesurf here: http://www.audiomisc.co.uk/HFN/LP1/KeepInContact.html

In these cases a different 'cutting master' even if still of digital origin is often used that has less compression and more dynamic range and therefore on a decent system should sound better..... and vinyl mastering engineers because of the old school skills needed often have better ears! :)

15. poco a poco

poco a poco pfm Member

16. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

I'd prefer Ella singing Ella TBH

17. poco a poco

poco a poco pfm Member

Peter,
    Incase you did not look it up yourself here are the dynamic range figures for the Sharon Van Etten - 'Remind Me Tomorrow' listed in your OP. No CD or Vinyl listed, but the download lossless, which theoretically has the ability be the best, looks like another victim of the loudness wars.

http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list?artist=Sharon+Van+Etten&album=

So the vinyl you say is not good may still be a little better than the alternatives?

18. Peter McDermott

Thanks poco a poco, that's very thoughtful.

19. Vince Parkin

Vince Parkin pfm Member

I have a few Hi Res download's and quite a few Sacd's and a few Dvd Audio discs and Cd's and I still think that vinyl is the king. Don't get me wrong, they all sound splendid but there is just something about the black plastic. I realise that most people on this thread will probably think the same and some will not. I own a Gyrodec SE with a rewired RB300, a Kontrapunkt B, a Primate R32 into a Musical Fidelity AMS 35i to Ruark Equinox. To me it sounds like audio Nirvana, so effortless and non fatiguing, (apart from getting up to change records). Happy Listening

20. Hiesteem

Hiesteem Active Member

Very nice system, I often prefer the sound of the gyro to the orbe, somehow the gyro has more open soundstage to the Orbe being darker even less detailed. I have Equinox in rosewood too, since 1998, great speaker but need space to really present their huge soundstage.