1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Is the Naim Uniti range designed and built in China?

Discussion in 'audio' started by pjdowns, Jan 9, 2019.

1. whatsnext

whatsnext Naimless

Brexit will sort that out. The sudden realisation of what the result of racist biggotry and delusion brings us.

Darren likes this.
  2. Cereal Killer

Cereal Killer fourhundredandthirtytwo

I can see Focal moving Naims production to France/China as per there speaker procurement chain, post brexit.

3. Whatsisnaim

Whatsisnaim pfm Member

Since Vervent funded an entirely new production area in the Naim factory to produce the new Uniti models (and eventually, I suspect, probably the Classic boxes too) I think you are probably wrong.

4. mikemusic

mikemusic pfm Member

As referenced above and before.
    There comes a point when you take apart the kit and find components, possibly modules or sub modules bought in.
    Go inside and the source is not GB even if only individual components.

My print company was 100% British. The employees and building anyway.
    The kit was US, English, Swedish, Belgian, Japanese
    Paper from Scandinavia
    Ring binders came from China as did quite a lot of other stuff.

5. Cereal Killer

That was well before Brexit. In global economic terms, closing down /moving a production plant to an EU state will be relatively small change.

6. Whatsisnaim

Whatsisnaim pfm Member

Perhaps you know something the rest of us don’t, but I can see no reason why Naim are more likely to relocate to the EU than any other UK company, and several strong reasons why they wouldn’t, not least of which is that they would be putting a geographical and trade barrier between them and their biggest market.

Cereal Killer likes this.
  7. pjdowns

pjdowns pfm Member

Is the UK actually their biggest market now?

8. pjdowns

pjdowns pfm Member

Don't you mean you see the investment company that now owns Focal and Naim, neither are now the lead company.

9. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Amp design and repairs.

YEP MF used to have boards made and stuffed in Taiwan but the finished amps had "Made in England" on the back and that was in 1990-91

10. manicatel

manicatel pfm Member

Is being made in China necessarily a bad thing? Equally, does a “made in the U.K.” or Salisbury badge guarantee a higher quality?
    Whilst it is very lamentable that more & more of the U.K. manufacturing skills are being lost &/or exported overseas, we are no longer a manufacturing superpower.
    Taking off the rose-tinted glasses, is it time to accept that something made overseas can be the quality equal of a U.K. made item?
    Just thinking out loud really, I’m still in two minds about it all.

booja30 likes this.
  11. Arkless Electronics

There's no reason it can't be of equal quality no but as the entire reason for moving production to China is cost reduction, hence increased profits, too many companies take the opportunity gleefully offered to them by local component manufacturers to fit very cheap locally made parts which can be of lower performance and life expectancy than the European or USA parts formally fitted when made in U.K.

12. manicatel

manicatel pfm Member

I’m guessing the factories overseas would still be heavily supervised/monitored by a U.K. rep of the company to oversee component consistency & standards in general?
    Again, I’m just shooting the breeze really, I can see why people have partisan values, but...........................

13. Arkless Electronics

They can be and sometimes are and I've seen Chinese made gear with top quality parts (or what appears to be top quality parts.... they are renowned for counterfeit components and it's a big issue!) but when a manufacturer may get only £140 profit for a mass produced amp which you pay £1000 for at the dealers, and say 8 off 10,000uF 63V caps may be £5 each (at 10,000 off quantities etc) for a top make and they can get them for 70p each from "Lucky Sunshine" capacitors then the temptation is obvious.... and unless they are really unlucky with their supplier then it's likely that the amp will sail past the guarantee period no problem.... but will it maintain its reliability and sound quality beyond say 5 years?

14. Cereal Killer

Exactly, lets see what happens when UK economics really experience what a tiny little island this really is.

15. manicatel

manicatel pfm Member

Fair comment.....
    I’ve been to China quite a few times with my previous job. The markets are full of anything & everything fake, whether it’s watches, trainers, north face, Uggs, Canada goose, memory cards, etc etc. Not that I ever bought any of it, obviously.

16. Cereal Killer

Thats a very insular business model. The investors in Naim and Focal won't be wanting to limit there global market based on a BS manufacturing label claiming to say 'made in england'

17. RingeRaja

RingeRaja pfm Member

You may like it or not, but that's the fact...China will be biggest economy in the World in about few years.
    Sooner or later, one by one, Western companies will move, piece by piece, to the East, because we live in time of liberal capitalism, where the money is supreme value.

18. mikemusic

mikemusic pfm Member

With Trump giving up (Make America self centred again) that will be sooner not later

19. Cereal Killer

Thought this was already the case?

20. simon g

simon g Grumpy Old Man

US GDP is around 19 trillion dollars, whilst China is 12 trillion.