1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Is the Naim Uniti range designed and built in China?

Discussion in 'audio' started by pjdowns, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Whatsisnaim

Whatsisnaim pfm Member

It’s not just about moving everything to China. The Chinese are actively encouraged to set up businesses in other countries as well as acquiring and investing in Western businesses. A Chinese buyout of Naim might even be a good thing if it frees them from the gross incompetence shown by Vervent in recent years.

Cereal Killer likes this.
  2. PerF

PerF Trade box swapper

Its all about cost-down, buttomline & profit since Vervent took over

A possible Chinese buyout will not change this
    On the contrary, further outsourcing might result in a Salisbury museum left.

3. Whatsisnaim

Whatsisnaim pfm Member

There may be an element of cost-down in Vervent’s agenda, but then there is in many businesses. What I find more disturbing is the managerial incompetence they have shown. A Chinese buyout, or any other buyout, may make things better or worse, you can’t possibly make judgements on that until you know exactly who has done it.

4. robs

robs pfm Member

Naim is not mass market. I have no idea, but I guess they sell a few thousand units per year?
    They made £1m profit on turnover of £28m last year. Cost of Sales £15.5m, admin & distribution £11m.
    There is (IMHO) really no significant advantage in moving production for that sort of volume?

UK - £11m
    Europe - £8.3m
    RoW - £8.5m

5. Cereal Killer

Cereal Killer fourhundredandthirtytwo

If they only made £1m profit they’d be shutting up shop IMHO

6. booja30

booja30 pfm Member

Either that or their workforce is 95% unpaid interns.

7. Olsen

Olsen pfm Member

According to their website they manufactured around 17300 serials in 2017

Whether this is included the far east Muso range or not, I have no idea

Their annual number of serials looking back, seem quite consistent

I'm sure they work hard to provide mega-seller items with lowest possible manufacture cost
    The most recent 555 streamer may be such one, indeed there's a thousand page thread praise on the soon to be defunct Naim forum

In generel I have been extremely happy with most of my Naim stuff through years (with few exceptions)
    It matters to me they still support 25-35 years old amplifiers etc

8. simon g

simon g Grumpy Old Man

I think it's just moving on to another platform, not becoming defunct. PFM did the same a while back.

Rack Kit likes this.
  9. hifi-dog

hifi-dog pfm Member

Yes new platform on the 15th

10. Colonel_Mad

Colonel_Mad pfm Member

Naim moved some amp manufacturing out to New Zealand in the dim distant past. Soon brought it all back to the UK though when quality wasn't up to scratch.

Bet Focal wouldn't do that if a move to France/China had the same result.

11. pjdowns

pjdowns Living the Hifi dream

Why do you bet that exactly? what do you actually know about Focal?

12. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

Many countries can manufacture to high quality standards, including China, who after all make Apple stuff. It all comes down to the management priorities

Cereal Killer and pjdowns like this.
  13. PigletsDad

PigletsDad pfm Member

They briefly had local manufacture in NZ (only for the NZ market) during a period of import controls under the National (roughly like Conservative) government. Labour came in about 1985(ish), freed up the import regime, and local manufacture made no sense at all. I think some third party did the manufacturing under license - it was a long time ago.

14. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

Import tariffs can lead to complete units being imported, dismantled in a free trade zone and reassembled in country. This happens to some cars in Malaysia.
    It causes incredible reliability problems and nothing quite fits right.