1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Is this the end of owning music? Stats update.

Discussion in 'music' started by Graham H, Jan 3, 2019.

1. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

Cassettes and their mechanical duplication has to be a far more expensive process than small USB thumbdrives

2. Martyn Miles

Martyn Miles pfm Member

I keep a cassette in my Yamaha deck to catch any radio programme that looks interesting.

I’ve a Minidisc deck for similar purposes.
    It’s a prof. Tascam model and the quality is excellent.

3. DavidS

DavidS pfm Member

My niece is horrified at the thought of actually paying for music , that said she can't listen to a whole song let alone an album.She just sings the part of a chorus that she likes.

4. boneman

boneman pfm Member

So disheartening that the industry has commoditised music to the point where young people view it as something they are entitled to for free.

5. Durmbo

Durmbo Not French

Generally I’m happy to stream from YouTube. I’ll buy downloads if I like the music.

I won’t buy cassettes without downloads attached. Fragile things that tend to sound awful and that I can’t play in the car.

6. RustyB

RustyB Registered Ginga

I've been using Tidal for a couple of weeks, can't see why you'd bother with CD's quite frankly.

The combination of fine SQ and access to music is compelling, the hassle of travelling to the few central city music outlets is definitely not.

My only gripe is that some artists aren't represented, but I guess you can always use Spotify as a back-up for those.

7. lordsummit

lordsummit Moderator

I’d find it heard to stop streaming now. I love the fact I can read about something here, then listen to it. I can skim the top 100 lists, learning about something new isn’t a risk/big expense. If I want to hear something I usually can. I’ve gone from a £50 a week vinyl habit to enjoying my music mostly via Apple Music. It bothers me that artists make little money, but I suspect most are now making more touring. Bought two tickets to see Muse, and was given two downloads/hard copies as a consequence. I don’t think the media is the money-maker any more. Was it ever though for anyone aside from the biggest names?

Whaleblue likes this.
  8. Martyn Miles

Martyn Miles pfm Member

We’re listening to Leonard Cohen ‘Live in London’ and my wife says she didn’t know I had the CDs.
    She was really surprised how good it sounds streamed.
    In fact, I think the bass end is slightly ‘cleaner’ on much of the music we listen to.

9. formbypc

formbypc pfm Member

To me, that's what BBC iPlayer Radio is for.

I used to sit over a reel-to-reel at the appointed hour, waiting for the program that I'd ringed in Radio Times the previous week; a particular session on Peel/Freeman/Harris/Kershaw, etc., or a favoured artist on In Concert, or staying up until 3am to catch that Grateful Dead marathon on Rockpalast ...... but these days most of the stuff that interests me is the archive dredging on 6music; the Live Hour or Classic Concert. These go out at 2am or 3am, so every so often I just look back over the schedules to see what has been broadcast that interests me, play it back with a Google Chromecast, and record at my leisure. I'm thankful that I'm no longer tied to their schedule.

Martyn Miles likes this.
  10. farfromthesun

farfromthesun pfm Member

I found this comment interesting as I had already formed the answer in my head before I had read it.

I mainly listen to - buy - electronic music. Aside from shops like Bleep or Boomkat I find that I spend an increasingly large amount of time (and money) sourcing music on Bandcamp.

From what I can make out, there are vast amounts of artist funded music, be it tapes, records, cd's, and of course there are downloads. I am seriously convinced that the majority are not doing this for a living; they may have day jobs and support their musical output this way, but there appears to be this drive to get the music out there, and if it is not bought, then it's not likely to lead them to the job centre. But produce and release it they will - it appears to be the most important thing. The added bonus is whatever they do sell, they'll get most of the income for (I don't know what Bandcamps cut is).

I also know several artists that work this way. They're never going to stop doing it and will get their music out there by hook or by crook. In my view, these are the musicians that will keep the scene alive, not those who, if they don't get paid, do something else instead.

11. Romulus

Romulus pfm Member

Wow I could not afford to listen to music if I had to pay £19.99 per month! As the article pointed out I am one of those old music listeners who still buys and listen to Cd's. Cd's may be on the decrease but atleast they are cheaper than years ago, have a decent sound quality and are mine to keep. Anything with direct debit is sort of adverse reaction for me and even if I could afford streaming the music is not my possession. That sort of system goes against everything I was brought up to believe in and in a strange way I feel we had it better in the past despite the improvements in technology etc.. There is still good music to be discovered but alas the quality of creating that music had degenerated against the art of creating music in the popular music field.

12. Nagraboy

Nagraboy pfm Member

Well I was spending more than that on CDs per month anyway, so seemed a good move from that angle. Also, streaming has many benefits for music discovery too. And then there’s the elimination of clutter filling the house to consider. In the end we rent everything, you can’t take it with you.

Dozey likes this.
  13. manicatel

manicatel pfm Member

£20 a month to join a library containing thousands and thousands of albums. And I can access it all from the comfort of my sofa.
    I may not own the book, but I can read it as many times as I want.
    I doubt I’m alone in admitting to spending a similar amount per month on CD’s only to realise that I only like one or two tracks & so consigned to never be played again.
    I can dip my toe into different genres, different music to try. If I really like something I will buy it on vinyl.

14. Romulus

Romulus pfm Member

I understand the reason why many would prefer the streaming way espescially if it brings unlimited access to further and discovery of music, and in some cases with higher SQ than cds. Also you don't need to purchase the whole album to hear favourite songs or song. With me I have my Cds and I rip them all on a hardrive. When I listen to my music collection I can flick on my remote to any stored song,from Classical to Jazz to Classic Rock etc...The music I have is what I wanted so I do not really feel any frustration or need to have access to unlimited music. In a way I have Youtube (Excellent)to fill that scratch, which to date has never dissapointed or frustrated me; a fantastic virtual scource of reference. Also I have internet Radio which really helps me to discover new music eg Greek and Arabic music (very interesting). Having all this with no constant direct debit draining my financial resources and owning all my music is for an old timer like me a real bonus.

15. willieaames

willieaames Member

Drake, Drake, Drake is every where.

16. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

I think this is a big selling point. It's pretty common for people in London to be living in house shares well into middle age now. If you have one room and find yourself having to move on a fairly regular basis a huge pile of LPs is the last thing you need.

17. formbypc

formbypc pfm Member

I'm sorry, but this baffles me.

Even if you went to somewhere like Fopp, and raided the bargain bins at £5 each, you would get four CDs for £20 per month.

How many do you typically buy, and how much do you spend in excess of £20 each month?

18. boneman

boneman pfm Member

For me my music collection is a reflection of me. Half the fun is having it on display and when people come over it often leads to interesting conversation and of course listening. This is the same with books though I'm not a big collector. I do find it fun to see what's on the bookshelf when I'm in someone else's place. With respect to renting though it's becoming more common out of necessity the overriding feeling I get here in the UK is that one MUST own their own home as renting is just pissing your money away. Of course unless you have paid off the mortgage you are in effect renting anyway!

Engels and Sich like this.
  19. Sich

Sich pfm Member

And if your a snob/purist like me, I'm likely to be far more impressed with a hand-curated collection than a 'recently listened' to list no doubt curated by some algorithm or other :O

20. Martyn Miles

Martyn Miles pfm Member

Would that be Nick Drake ?