1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Isopropyl?

Discussion in 'off topic' started by moffer, Mar 22, 2020.

1. moffer

moffer pfm Member

Does anyone know a reliable source as I've just been scammed on ebay and need to get hold of more for my home brew sanitiser pretty soon? Apparently sellers are diluting the stuff as well...surprise surprise! I'm in the very high risk group and have been self isolating for almost a fortnight.

Much thanks in advance.

2. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

I’d just buy supermarket vodka, then you know what you’re getting.

3. chartz

chartz pfm Member

I get it from my chemist.

4. anuenlil

anuenlil pfm Member

Ethanol 80 percent as an alternative? At least in Belgium, chemists will still make disinfectant handlotion and sell it by the 20cl per cliënt at market ingrediënt prices. They too are victims of public hoarding, Remember! Rely on soap as your default, only using lotion when outdoors and soap unavailable. Try to avoid leaving your home as much as you can, only solid and sensible solution

Covkxw likes this.
  5. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

not strong enough

6. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart Avoiding Stress, at Every Opportunity

If you’re self-isolating, won’t soap and hot water suffice?

sean99 and narabdela like this.
  7. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Quite.
    Mop down surfaces with 1% household bleach to be double sure. There's nothing wrong with 1% bleach for hands either, if you are stuck.

8. moffer

moffer pfm Member

My village chemist never has stocked it. Difficult to find in my nearest town too, at least it was when I needed some for cleaning record.

9. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

10. Tony Lockhart

I went to a branch of Boots yesterday, and I had to buy the Paracetamol over the counter, one box of 30 only, one box per person per day, 75p per box. The shelves were empty, as expected.

I’ve heard the may have hand sanitiser under the counter too.

11. anuenlil

anuenlil pfm Member

People, stop the hoarding and under the counter stuff. It'll only make it worse, both for everyone and for yourself.

12. Tony Lockhart

What on Earth are you on about?

The guy has asked for help buying some. NOBODY, except you, has mentioned hoarding.

13. moffer

moffer pfm Member

My wife and I use soap indoors but even though my grown up kids do our shopping, she still neds to go out now and again so needs a hand sanitiser. I also use my home brew for disinfecting door handles etc, as it seems to be the only stuff I can 100% trust. I have an autoimmune condition in the form of rheumatoid arthritis and a serious secondary lung condition caused by inflammation from my RA getting into my lungs. So I'm way ahead of the government and been in self isolation for nearly a fornight.

edit...I'll look into ethanol if I'm stuck. thanks

Tony Lockhart likes this.
  14. Tony Lockhart

“People, stop the hoarding and under the counter stuff. It'll only make it worse, both for everyone and for yourself.”

And the under the counter stuff is the way that Boots are trying to prevent people buying more than they need.

jeepers.

15. moffer

moffer pfm Member

My wife has to go out on occasions, plus I use my home brew to disinfect door handles etc.

Tony Lockhart likes this.
  16. anuenlil

anuenlil pfm Member

Clearly, my knowledge of the English language has deteriorated

17. Alex S

Alex S carbon based lifeform

Bio ethanol, as I’ve mentioned a few times, is better than isopropyl and still available. It is 95% ethanol and you need at least 60%. Otherwise, as Steve says, a 1% bleach solution with a splash of mouthwash to take when you go out.

Rob998 and moffer like this.
  18. moffer

moffer pfm Member

I have thought about bleach but it's risky stuff to use. That said, a 1% is obviously different. Excuse my thickness, but can you tell me the best way to do a 1% mix as I will try it if necessary?

19. Marchbanks

Marchbanks Hat and Beard member

Ethanol is fine, cheap and available. Here’s a link to the WHO formulation and instructions.

Of course, Alex and I take a cut from every bottle sold. I suppose I ought to mention that.

moffer and Alex S like this.
  20. moffer

moffer pfm Member

As if I'm not under enough pressure as it is without having all these scumbag sellers up to no good!!!!