1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Isopropyl?

Discussion in 'off topic' started by moffer, Mar 22, 2020.

1. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart Avoiding Stress, at Every Opportunity

Two teaspoons of bleach in one litre of water?

2. guydarryl

guydarryl pfm Member

Depends if it means:

1% of household bleach as supplied - 10ml of the bleach in 1 litre of water

or

1% sodium hypochlorite - household bleach is about 5 or 6% sodium hypochlorite so for a 1% solution, about 200ml in 1 litre of water

moffer likes this.
  3. moffer

moffer pfm Member

I'll see you and Alex are ok, especially if you knock up a WHO brew for me. :D

Thanks I'll look into getting some.

4. moffer

moffer pfm Member

Ta very much. Think we have some bleach in the house.

Tony Lockhart likes this.
  5. narabdela

narabdela who?

Precisely. If you aren't leaving the house, there's absolutely no need for hand sanitiser.

Wash your hands often and wash down surfaces/doorknobs/etc. with dilute bleach for added peace of mind.

hifinutt likes this.
  6. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

absolutely , hand sanitiser is just for when you can`t get access to a sink to wash your hands

TheDecameron likes this.
  7. Mark Grant

Mark Grant Trade: Mark Grant Cables

CPC have some and more on the way. they will deliver for free with UPS

Servisol are the only 1 litre tins in stock today, £13.33 delivered.

https://cpc.farnell.com/search?st=ipa

8. Alex S

Alex S carbon based lifeform

Moffer if you’re any where near SE10 and not in lockdown I can supply 1 litre homebrew, for a tenner to your favourite charity. Same applies to anyone else.

9. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

Great offer. This and an alembic and you’re in business

10. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

you don’t need home brew, just diluted household bleach for handles and surfaces.

11. Alex S

Alex S carbon based lifeform

12. christray

christray pfm Member

Bleach bath fabulous for the skin:)

13. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

1 part bleach to 99 parts water is 1%. Or, maybe easier, a serial dilution. Take 1 part bleach to 9 parts water, measured in say cups. Mix this. This is 10%. Then take one cup of this new solution and add 9 cups of water. This is your 1%.

deebster likes this.
  14. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

It means 1% of household bleach as supplied. This is to give a solution of 1000ppm available chlorine as recommended by the NhS for decontamination of medical surfaces and as used in food manufacturing for the same purpose. It is based on the bleach supplied to food factories and the NHS being industrial bleach at 10% hypo, meaning 100,000 ppm avCl2, so 1% gives 1000 ppm AvCl2 in the final solution. This will work. If you reckon household bleach is about half as strong as industrial, then just use twice as much and make up 2% in water. It's not critical. 500ppm, 1000, 2000, they all work. Don't get it on your clothes, it may bleach them.
    2% household bleach is a coffee mug to a bucket. How easy is that? Slosh it all over, leave it to dry. This is what they do in operating theatres and meat slicing plants, post cleandown. Keep it off exposed electrical gear.

Edit - just checked my bleach, they say use at 2% for general sanitising. That's the 200 ml coffee mug in a 2 gallon/10L bucket. It's not critical, I never measure the stuff. Close enough is close enough.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
    Rob998, Wilson, Tony Lockhart and 2 others like this.
  15. Marchbanks

Marchbanks Hat and Beard member

And remember to rinse the mug.

stevec67 likes this.
  16. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Yes, make sure you wash up.

17. pete the bus

pete the bus pfm Member

Does anyone know the alcohol percentage of the Servisol in 1ltr tins?
    It doesn't mention it on the label and I can't find the info on their website.

18. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Given it is designed for spraying on circuit boards etc I assume pretty much pure. You’d not want a water content there.

19. pete the bus

pete the bus pfm Member

That makes sense, thanks Tony.

20. moffer

moffer pfm Member

Thanks for the offer Alex, I wish I was near you but I'm about 150 miles to the west in deepest darkest sheep country!....baa!