1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Isopropyl?

Discussion in 'off topic' started by moffer, Mar 22, 2020.

1. PaulMB

PaulMB pfm Member

One thing I've noticed is that "alchool" means different things in different countries. In Italy you can buy, very cheap, quanties of "Alcool denaturato," which is ethyl alcohol treated so it cannot be drunk, and is pink. Used for cleaning and as a disinfectant on wounds and also when you have an injection. But if you ask for alcohol in an ironmonger's in Israel, you get some kind of paint thinners. In both Italy and Israel you can get isopropyl alcohol, but in tiny quantities, and expensive, in a good chemist's. Methylated spirits, goes under different names in different countries. It was used, under the name "methanol", with tragic results, to boost wine in Italy many years ago in the disastrous scandal that some will remember. I wonder if "methanol" is the same stuff as "methylated spirits." I once asked an Italian furniture polisher what solvent he used, and he just said "spirits." No further information.

2. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Amp design and repairs.

Serendipity had it that I got in a litre of IPA about a fortnight before we had heard of coronavirus...

Wilson likes this.
  3. moffer

moffer pfm Member

Thanks for your responses everyone. I've just knocked up 2 litres of 2% bleach for disinfecting door handles etc, and ordered 1 litre of 96% bio ethanol for a tenner.

I'm taking all the precautions I can. My only real threat of catching the virus comes from my wife occasionally venturing outdoors. She takes precautions of course and steers clear of people, but I'm still uneasy about it.

4. tqineil

tqineil pfm Member

If its the aersol then the answer is here, seems to be neat with carbondiaxide as propellant

http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/2312034.pdf

5. pete the bus

pete the bus pfm Member

Thanks for the link.
    I meant for the liquid in 1 litre tins, but I assume they're both virtually pure alcohol.

6. tqineil

tqineil pfm Member

yes, they will be

7. Darth Vader

Darth Vader From the Dark Side

Since you asked the question. Methanol or wood alcohol is the stuff that in small amounts causes blindness and eventually death. Its also a by product of fermentation and is present in 'moonshine' (elicit whiskey). Its one of the reasons that UK whisky barrels are carbonised inside before putting in the distillate. The so called 'activated charcoal' is good at absorbing unwanted fermentation stuff known as fusel oils.

In the UK meths is ethanol that is coloured with a blue dye (methylene blue) and a few unpleasant tasting and smelling things to prevent people drinking it. However some severe alcoholics do drink it and usually straight from the bottle and once on that road their lives soon end. I used to see this some years ago when I lived in Kennington London. Alcoholics sleeping rough under the arches, drinking meths from the bottle and a few weeks later gone.

I remember the Austrians virtually destroyed their wine industry some years ago by adding antifreeze (ethylene glycol) to sweeten their wines. Its a dihydric alcohol thats is converted in the liver to oxalic acid that causes kidney failure.

Cheers,

DV

8. sean99

sean99 pfm Member

So long as you're fastidious about not touching your face when out and thoroughly wash your hands first thing when you get home I don't think hand sanitiser is a necessity.

Bob McC likes this.
  9. Arkless Electronics

Thats just jogged my memory that I have the thick end of a gallon of meths under the sink! I hadn't used it for anything as I believe it to be mildly contaminated with French polish by my late father whose it was...
    not enough to discolour it or anything like that but there are splashes of it around the lid area... I'll guess there could be half a teaspoon of French polish dissolved in the gallon of meths...

10. sean99

sean99 pfm Member

11. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Alcohol is the name for a group of chemicals. In order of the number of carbon atoms they are methanol, ethanol, propanol, butanol, pentanol, hexanol, you get the picture if you speak a Latin language. Methanol, as DV says, will kill you. Ethanol is good old recreational booze. That will kill you too, but it takes longer and you need more. Meths is mostly ethanol, some methanol, denatured with something to make it taste vile. In France you can buy "alcool a bruler" for spirit stoves etc, it's about 1 Eu2 of 1.50 a litre. It's distilled from foul wine, not sure if they denature it. Methylated spirits is meths as above. It makes a decent sanitizer but it stinks.

Alex S likes this.
  12. billo

billo pfm Member

A few years back you could go into Pharmacies in Eastern Europe (Poland in particular) and buy bottles of 'Rectified Spirit' which was very potent stuff.
    This is the first time I wish I was back in work as we used to get in Ethanol and Methanol 15 litres at a time

13. Alex S

Alex S carbon based lifeform

French polish as you clean. Perfect.

14. PaulMB

PaulMB pfm Member

Thanks, very interesting. So the Brits colour it blue and the Italians pink, but it is the same stuff. I'm surprised some committee in the EU has not decided to "harmonise" the colours.

15. sean99

sean99 pfm Member

Sovrenty innit. Blue passports and blue meths.

Alex S likes this.
  16. Arkless Electronics

I'd always assumed methalated spirit was an old fashioned term for methanol... you learn something every day.

17. Alex S

The methylated is usually methanol, the spirit is ethanol. People like me can buy IMS, Industrial Methylated Spirit, clear liquid, basically the same thing without the blue/pink/purple and nasty smell.

18. Alex S

Good luck with definitely not touching your face whilst out.

19. guydarryl

guydarryl pfm Member

I wouldn't use Methanol or Methylated spirits on my skin, it is toxic through absorption through the skin. Others may feel differently about this though, as I am willing to use Ethanol recreationally;)

20. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Spiritus rektifyowany, in Poland. Food grade alcohol, used to preserve things, or to get hog-whimpering drunk. At least we thought it was food grade. Tasted ok, and nobody went blind.