1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

It’s an Ill wind

Discussion in 'audio' started by david ellwood, Mar 26, 2020.

1. david ellwood

david ellwood Kirabosi Kognoscente

Please forgive my terrible insensitivity but has anyone else noticed the improvement in mains quality since the lockdown?

2. Robert

Robert Tapehead

Not here David, but the air quality is wonderful!

3. Del monaco

Del monaco pfm Member

No as more people are using it. It’ll impact on internet soon I guess.

4. david ellwood

david ellwood Kirabosi Kognoscente

It might be interesting to compare the impact on road traffic accidents vs corona during the lockdown.

5. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

Motorists are exploiting quieter than usual roads to drive at "highly excessive speeds", police have warned.

People across the UK have been urged to stay at home unless absolutely necessary to slow the spread of coronavirus.

North Yorkshire Police said it believed less traffic meant some drivers and motorcyclists were flouting the law.

It urged people "not to tie up valuable police or NHS resources by committing dangerous but preventable offences".

Assistant Chief Constable Mike Walker said: "These actions can have fatal consequences which tie up emergency services."

As well as speeding, officers have also reported seeing more drivers committing offences including mobile phone use, drink or drug-driving and not wearing a seatbelt.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-52037482

Weekender likes this.
  6. ralphj

ralphj pfm Member

Who knows, I guess A&E departments will take any lessening of these admissions.
    However there may be an increase in household accidents from DIY activity.
    So be careful on that ladder!

7. Del monaco

Del monaco pfm Member

Yes some middle aged idiot in winged Vauxhall rasped down our quiet road yesterday.Looked like a right t**t.

8. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

It's delightfully quiet here just now. Normally there is a low hum of traffic from a main road 1/2 mile away, almost nothing now. Windows open, birds singing. A train just went by, travelling slowly, seemed like it was tiptoeing.

Lowand likes this.
  9. G T Audio

G T Audio Trade: Manufacturer and Distributor

Definitely noticed an improvement in air quality while running and cycling. Also, I have noticed the ambient noise is lower too.

10. Cereal Killer

Cereal Killer 432 Point5

Yes here in central London it’s bliss.

11. linnfomaniac83

linnfomaniac83 I bet you can’t wheelie a unicycle!

Two crashes on my local high street a couple of days back... lord knows how?! Not as if our emergency services have enough on their plates right now.

12. uncl_nigel

uncl_nigel pfm Member

Not noticed anything on the electricity side but air and noise pollution have definitely decreased.
    Sunbathing on the balcony - for the free immune-system-reinforcing vitamin D of course - has been very pleasant. Given the minuteness of our balcony exposing the back to the sun is not possible so I will end up with a one-sided tan :)

Weekender likes this.
  13. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Amp design and repairs.

Air is very noticeably cleaner yes!
    mains quality is not even a thing.

14. DavidS

DavidS pfm Member

Yes I have seen this on my morning cycle ride (for exercise)

15. wd40addict

wd40addict pfm Member

I'd have to disagree with this, using my Oneac line viewer I can see the noise superimposed on the mains in both common and normal modes. What's more debatable is whether it matters in the context of HiFi with a decently designed power supply.

Back in the day there was lots of 15625Hz and its harmonics on the mains in the evening due to the flyback on everybody's CRT TVs so that's one noise source removed. However that's been replaced by millions of switch mode PSUs and powerline Ethernet transmitters...

16. Arkless Electronics

There is loads of interference and distortion on it yes... it just doesn't matter with decently designed hi fi.

Funny that it was never a problem at all and nobody had heard of it until one day when some wag decided a profit could be made from it:rolleyes:

wow&flutter likes this.
  17. yeti42

yeti42 pfm Member

You may hear no effect from it on music reproduction but a thing it certainly is, otherwise my Naim transformers would buzz all the time or not at all, not just once in a blue moon.

http://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/

18. Arkless Electronics

It doesn't matter though. That's why it's not a thing... as in not a thing that effects sound quality.

19. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

Affects

Martyn Miles, paulski and Spike like this.
  20. wd40addict

wd40addict pfm Member

Amazingly just did an FFT and the largest interference frequency is still 15625Hz! There must be an awful lot of people watching SD TV whilst in lockdown!