1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

It shouldn't sound good

Discussion in 'classic' started by retrospective, Mar 2, 2019.

1. pickwickpapers

pickwickpapers pfm Member

going by the very few reviews you can find online, I shouldn't be finding a rather decrepit Acoustic Research A-04 amp any good at all. But rather the opposite is how I'm finding it.

2. joe9407

joe9407 actress/activist

the Topping D10 -- at $80, it's probably all the DAC anyone could ever need.

3. darrenyeats

darrenyeats pfm Member

Most people could ever need, yeah, not me though.

E.g. I need balanced outs. That's just the start of what I'm after.

4. joe9407

joe9407 actress/activist

OK, me neither: i'm running an RME ADI-2 DAC, which may be worth a look.

(the Topping is quite good, tho.)

5. Dougunn

Dougunn pfm Member

A lifetime ago I worked in a high-end audio shop and we had some metal cabinet loudspeakers by a company called Alexander. They were really cheap but I absolutely loved them - they sounded fantastic. Much to the irritation of the store manager I used to run them on the shop floor (instead of much more expensive models around them in a display) and they constantly stopped people in their tracks - believing they were hearing the larger ££££ ones nearby.

Holding them in your hand they did everything 'wrong' - they felt cheap (although in fairness they were!), were badly finished, had a grille like a space heater, rang like a bell if you hit them and were tiny (size of a housebrick).

The company has vanished seemingly without trace

Doug

retrospective likes this.
  6. Radfordman

Radfordman pfm Member

For a cheap upgrade, try the JPW Gold Monitors, much the same as the Mini, but sweeter tweeter.

7. Snufkin

Snufkin pfm Member

I love it; a 'sweeter tweeter' often makes for a speaker I really like.