1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

It's all in your head...

Discussion in 'audio' started by Emlin, Mar 27, 2020.

1. Emlin

Emlin MQA Hater!

Music only exists in ones head. In your brain. It is created by your brain.

Don't expect any component to change that. Wire, DAC, amp, speakers, room, room treatment, etc.

The wires can't change the music in any way, nor can the rest of the ensemble. Hifi should be about transmitting the signal as faithfully as possible.

But therein lies the problem.

People are emotionally involved by music. And they think that music is magical (it can be!). And they therefore think that some cheap bit of wire or electronics can't possibly be up to the job of transporting it to them. What bit of wire could be capable of moving them so exquisitely?

And they are right to wonder, but all that exists is sound waves. The musicians, engineers, whatever may have music in their heads, of course, but between them and us there is but simple physics. Fairly good approximations of sound waves are measured by microphones, etc, sent down possible miles of wire, digitised, undigitised, digitised again, whatever, but in all that process and throughout its whole travel, it is not music. It's signals, reproduced at the end more or less well.

When we fire up our systems, we think they are producing music. But they aren't. Our brains do that in their desperate need to make sense of all the weird vibrations hitting the eardrum and then transmitted by physical means until they are converted to chemico/electrical stuff that our brains go on to construe as music.

So, the wires don't need to be special in order to convey the music, because that's not what they are doing. They couldn't if they wanted to, because that's not where the music lies. All that is needed is the accurate transmission of the waveform. There is nothing separating a spreadsheet and an album by your favourite band, transmission wise.

Brains are the only place where music exists. Not in any cables, amps, DACs, nowhere else but in human brains. Enjoy it while you can.

PBB and Shadders like this.
  2. garyi

garyi leave blank

OK thanks.

3. david ellwood

david ellwood Kirabosi Kognoscente

You realise of course that "Music only exists in ones head. In your brain. It is created by your brain." is an idea created by your brain.

mr sneff and Woodface like this.
  4. Emlin

Emlin MQA Hater!

Only mine? I must be a genius.

But seriously, where else do you think it could exist? Not in wires, surely.

5. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

I assume the OP doesn’t bother with hi-fi frippery?

6. david ellwood

I was thinking quite the opposite.

julifriend and Suffolk Tony like this.
  7. Emlin

Emlin MQA Hater!

I once saw Robert Fripp play live. Is that what you're getting at?

8. Emlin

Emlin MQA Hater!

In your head.

9. lagavullin10y

lagavullin10y pfm Member

Read more Plato.

10. Fatmarley

Fatmarley pfm Member

I haven't smoked weed for years.

Roger Adams and linnfomaniac83 like this.
  11. DavidS

DavidS pfm Member

Blimey , I think you need different medication.

12. marshanp

marshanp ellipsis addict

Whether hi-fi equipment is there to transmit music, or merely to prompt its recreation inside people's heads, is not terribly important.

Good hi-fi has a minimum of annoyances to distract from the music. That's the most we can hope for in a domestic setting - but it's quite enough, once achieved. Otherwise, the wires do change the music.

13. nobeone

nobeone pfm Member

If it is all in my head, how come other people hear music too? Think I might be a tad confused ...

14. PerF

PerF Member

Brainwash

15. david ellwood

I believe that the job of a HIFI is to give your brain the minimum of work in 'filling in the gaps'

Sue Pertwee-Tyr and darrenyeats like this.
  16. tuga

tuga European

I think we can agree that music happens in the brain, both the listeners' and the creators'.

"Music is the art of combining sounds in a harmonious and expressive way so that they are perceived as pleasant. However, its appeal depends upon our habits and education. For some, the wind’s ‘song’ is perceived as music, for others it will be nothing but noise. Music perception therefore depends upon both the sound itself and the person that hears it."
    http://www.cochlea.org/en/hear/music-perception

The bit about reproduction of recorded music needs rethinking though.

17. Emlin

Emlin MQA Hater!

My point is that music can't be recorded, only soundwaves can. And that people often get this wrong and think that a bit of finely crafted wire (for example) can be better at reproducing MUSIC (the whole experience with the emotions that it can engender) which is not what is going on. I've seen posts claiming that certain cables, etc, enable you to FEEL the MUSIC better. It's just waveforms until the brain turns it into music for you, as it were.

18. Werner

Werner pfm Member

19. david ellwood

Are you trying to start a cable thread?

20. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

It's erudite saucery.

YNWOAN likes this.