1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Janet Baker - In Her Own Words

Discussion in 'classical' started by Barrymagrec, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Barrymagrec

Barrymagrec pfm Member

This was a fabulous documentary on BBC 4 last night - catch it on Iplayer if you can.

windhoek likes this.
  2. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Yes, I watched it and it was very good.

3. kimmiles

kimmiles pfm Member

Amazingly, I was just about to post the very same topic!!!

It really WAS a wonderful documentary and quite 'tear-jerky' at times, especially when Dame Janet and her hubby were listening to her performance of Mahler.

Interesting to see how many recordings of her music have been picked up on Amazon since the programme! (Me included!)

4. poco a poco

poco a poco pfm Member

I put it on record last night as I was unable to watch it then. Just finished watching it now.
    Fascinating, Wonderful. Full of love and sadness.

I was lucky enough to have seen her live quite a few times in operas and a couple of recitals in the 70's. My favourite female singer and I have more recordings, pretty much all on LP, by her than any other female singer, but still not enough. I can understand why people who saw the program are rushing to buy some of her recordings.

Can't make my mind up what to play now. Elgar Sea Pictures, Dream of Gerontius or Mahler Ruckert Lieder, all with Barbirolli?

5. gustavm

gustavm pfm Member

Very moving - what a lovely lady...

6. Vinniemac

Vinniemac pfm Member

A great documentary for a great singer, and, on the evidence, a wonderful human being. The best thing I’ve seen in years.

7. SteveT

SteveT pfm Member

Elgar's Sea Pictures have never been equaled or surpassed by anyone IMHO.

8. windhoek

windhoek The Phoolosopher

I just finished watching it myself and what a great documentary it was. Great to see she still has all her faculties and boy was it great to see Janet and Kieth's appreciation of Mahler, obviously helped by Janet's fine singing, who knows, I might even pick up one of her Mahler performances. Anyway, it was a great documentary and thanks for the heads up :)

9. SteveT

SteveT pfm Member

Just finished watching it. Superb documentary on such a lovely talented lady.

10. windhoek

I'm currently listening to this Baker-Kmentt-Kubelik Das Lied von der Erde on Youtube and I'm really enjoying Baker's voice. I can't put my finger on it, perhaps the documentary has superimposed something onto what I'm hearing to make it seem better than it ought to considering I'm on my laptop, almost as if it's the only performance with verisimilitude... I don't know. But what I do know, however, is that I'm beginning to fall under her spell so don't be surprised if another Das Lied appears in my collection in the coming days.

11. gustavm

gustavm pfm Member

No Mahler enthusiast should be without this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mahler-Kin...=mahler+baker&qid=1555527948&s=gateway&sr=8-1

includes two wonderful performances of what must be (IMHO) the finest of all Mahler songs - "Ich bin der welt..." (which is what Janet B & husband were listening to in the film)

Amazon has this listed at £35 for some reason - but I can't believe its not available at mid-budget price somewhere.

12. windhoek

I'd already seen that... and quickly moved on when I saw the price. She also sings a great Ich... gekommen, but £35 is a lot more than I'm prepared to pay for a copy of the CD. I'm pretty sure I'll be buying the Das Lied above with Kmentt and as conducted by Kubelik as it's positively captivating.

13. gustavm

gustavm pfm Member

14. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

15. Barrymagrec

Barrymagrec pfm Member

A casual saunter through Amazon offerings of Janet Baker recordings late on Tuesday gave me the impression the prices were well up on recent levels - this would be the effect of their pricing system when confronted with a sudden increase in sales, I presume?

16. windhoek

Especially with that CD - the three camels website says it was about £10 before selling out the other day, leaving only the £35 third party option.

17. poco a poco

poco a poco pfm Member

I have it on vinyl in a 1968 pressing and you can still get those on discogs in NM for around £3 plus delivery.

https://www.discogs.com/Mahler-Jane...s-Mahler-Kindertotenlieder-L/release/10156552

Edit: Just replayed my vinyl copy that I brought s/h about 25 years ago and it sounds wonderful with only a couple of fairly quiet ticks. Not bad for a 50'year old record.

And her performance - 'In meinem Lieben, in meinem Lied'. Indeed.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019 at 10:12 AM
  18. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

I watched it last night and totally agree with all the above. A wonderful documentary about a great singer. Hats off to BBC4 for broadcasting it.

There was a critic - I think in The Absolute Sound - who hated her voice. I never understood that.

19. Barrymagrec

Barrymagrec pfm Member

I agree - the only recording I have heard that is anywhere near is a fragmentary off-air performance by Mary Jarred from 1937.

20. Nic Robinson

Nic Robinson Moderator

Fantastic programme and very moving.

The greatest voice imo.