1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Jethro Tull

Discussion in 'music' started by graystoke4, Apr 6, 2019.

1. graystoke4

graystoke4 pfm Member

Playing Too Old To Rock'N'Roll Too Young Too Die! , what a blast from the past haven't played this for years but i quoted the title to a work mate the other day, who wants to buy some earplugs for concerts, as his hearing ain't what it used to be , still a great album, only got this and the live double, after looking at the age count on this forum there has to be quite a few Tull fans,

2. Nigel

Nigel pfm Member

I like them. Ian Anderson is a musical genius. Followed them since the seventies. Enjoy the period between Stand Up and Stormwatch best.

3. Yank

Yank Bulbous Also Tapered

I'm fond of the first three albums, shame they couldn't have kept Glenn Cornick around longer.

4. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Amp design and repairs.

They did loads of good albums and over many years IMHO. Love "Aqualung", "Songs from the wood" "Thick as a brick" etc but also like "Broadsword and the beast" from about 10 years later... haven't really kept up with more recent output!

5. Salamander

Salamander pfm Member

Another huge fan here. Aqualung was the album that got me interested and I have purchased all the new releases since. Two that I would recommend, Aqualung and Minstrel in the Gallery.

6. cjarchez

cjarchez pfm Member

I don't have all their albums by any means but my faves/most played are Stormwatch and Crest Of A Knave. Probably Aqualung heading up the rest of what I have.

7. foxwelljsly

foxwelljsly Keep Music Vile

IMHO, but one of those many bands that went a bit stale after their first few albums. The first 4 and the compilation 'Living in the Past' are fantastic. If you see either Martin Barre or In Anderson play live now, it will come as no surprise that it's material from this era that elicits the best response. Crest of a Knave, Thick as a Brick and Songs from the Wood aren't bad, though. Martin Barre, incidentally, is one of the nicest rock musicians you'll ever meet.

8. rabidlistener

rabidlistener pfm Member

Benefit - an under rated gem

Seeker_UK likes this.
  9. darrenyeats

darrenyeats pfm Member

Was aware of them but never investigated. Last year I heard one of their more recent efforts, the song The Foot Of Our Stairs, and I loved it. Any suggestions of earlier stuff in that vein?

10. Nigel

Nigel pfm Member

Is that from A Passion Play?

11. darrenyeats

darrenyeats pfm Member

Ok so actually from their earlier period! So I'm ill-informed ... but at least in taste I'm not basic!

12. ovlov854

ovlov854 pfm Member

I too am a massive fan and saw them a few timesm Very talented musicians And Anderson is a witty raconteur in between songs.
    Just acquired Homo Erraticus..........different!! and Live in Iceland much better

13. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

I started to lose interest with Songs From The Wood, and within two or three albums I’d lost interest altogether. The albums up to that are very good. Favourites are probably Stand Up and Passion Play.

14. Nigel

Nigel pfm Member

Well, I suspect you might enjoy the Thick As A Brick / Songs From The Wood / Heavy Horses albums.

Taff63, cctaylor and darrenyeats like this.
  15. webster

webster Listen & enjoy.

I saw them at Hammersmith Odeon on the 'Songs From The Wood' tour and they were excellent.
    Best two albums for me - Aqualung & Minstrel In The Gallery.

16. stephen bennett

stephen bennett Mr Enigma

Living in the past, Aqualung, Thick as a brick and A Passion Play are my favourites.

Ian played flute on one of my songs on the last Tim Bowness album. His voice isn't what it was, but his playing is still phenomenal.

Stephen

foxwelljsly and Nigel like this.
  17. wacko

wacko pfm Member

Aqualung was first album I bought. Then went backwards. Then forwards until TAAB and abruptly stopped.

18. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

Never really explored their output but have found Ian Anderson to be an excellent interviewee whenever I've heard him.

19. Nero

Nero BLACK BLACK BLACK BLACK BLACK

Easily their best. IMHO of course. Actually, I'll stick it on now.
    But I have all the rest up to Stormwatch, which has a couple of jewels on it. I seem to remember seeing them live at Glastonbury a long time ago. Is that even possible? If not, it really was a long time ago :)

20. steve6080

steve6080 pfm Member

If you're new to Tull and not bothered about the Steven Wilson re-mixes etc a lot of the albums mentioned above are available in the original album series boxed sets -- there are 3 or 4 sets so if you buy them all there may be some duplication. They range from £11 to £13 a set so pretty good value.
    Steve