1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Johnny Cash RIP

Discussion in 'music' started by sideshowbob, Sep 12, 2003.

1. sideshowbob

sideshowbob 47 Lab Rat

Just heard the news on the radio. The Man in Black is dead.

Along with Hank Williams, the greatest white blues singer I can think of. I am bereft. :(

Time to play "Live At Folsom Prison" I think.

-- Ian

2. Alco

Alco pfm Member

I also just read the sad new when I wanted to read my mail on Yahoo.com

It's indeed a big loss :(

regards,
    Alco

3. RichardH

RichardH Bodging pleb

This news has affected me more than most "xxx has died" news. Great man indeed.

4. Ron The Mon

Ron The Mon Location: Detroit

Forget about the "Folsom" record. It's too upbeat for today. I just played "Delia's Gone" over and over about a dozen times and welled-up every time. You can't name a single singer who could sing that song with more emotion. A bottle of whisky is a requirement also.

Also dead today is John Ritter. Though he wasn't a musician (his dad was Tex Ritter though!!), he entertained me many a night. Even though I mostly tuned in to Three's Company to watch Suzanne Somers jiggle, it was John who carried that show.

Well anyways, so long John and Johnny. :(

Ron The Mon

5. sideshowbob

sideshowbob 47 Lab Rat

I've been listening to "At Folsom Prison" since I was about 10. It's probably the only record that has stayed with me throughout all the twists and turns of my life. It seems very appropriate for that reason.

-- Ian

6. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Sad news indeed. My most played Johnny Cash album is Star Portrait, a double comp of loads of cool 60s twangy and dark stuff – the man had a great sense of humour and a fabulous guitar sound.

[JC]Well I stole the Hope diamond hopin' I could shut your mouth...

[June]But how am I gonna wear it if I got to hide it out...

[JC]Well you big mouth woman...

(from Long legged guitar pickin man)

Quality stuff.

Tony.

Its four feet high and rising...

7. Stuart Mason

Stuart Mason .....

I was lucky to catch a 2 hour radio program taday celebrating the life of JC. In the most part, the presenter let his music speak for itself, only adding the occasional bit of background. It was a great tribute to the man and his music.

8. JTC

JTC PFM Villager...

Both my wife and I have become Johnny Cash fans in the last two or three years, as a result of the 'American' series of albums. These are well worth checking out for anyone who wishes to hear Johnny's take on songs by U2, Tom Waits, Nick Cave and so on. Excellent albums (well, American III and IV are, especially III).

We were really saddened to hear of his demise, though not entirely surprised given that June Carter Cash, his late wife, sadly passed away a couple of months back. I think Johnny just couldn't bear to be without her. They'll both be missed...

jtc

9. Konteebos

Konteebos Ignorant Uninformed Hard Remainer

Sad to see a true great leave us..
    I Bought "The Man Comes Around" this year, you really have to respect a C & W singer, who is in his 70's and does a cover of a Nine Inch Nails song (Hurt), not only that, but his cover is better than the original.