1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Johnson/Arcuri: if 1/10th of this is true

Discussion in 'off topic' started by FireMoon, Sep 27, 2019.

1. SteveS1

SteveS1 I heard that, pardon?

Not a civilised benchmark. Besides, it won't be the knobbing that does for Johnson it will be the public money issue.

MikeMA and TheDecameron like this.
  2. Barrymagrec

Barrymagrec pfm Member

John Major and the egg lady?

3. zarniwoop

zarniwoop hoopy frood

Johnson has some way to go to reach Trumpian levels of misdeeds but he is accumulating scandals at an impressive rate in parallel with his orange hero.

Recent events show that the legal system in the UK is less politicised than in the US and is capable of being applied with full force to the PM, so there is some hope one of these issues will bring him down.

MikeMA likes this.
  4. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

There was more than just the eggs getting laid ( said in a thick West Country accent)

Darren likes this.
  5. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

The dark money behind ‘no deal’ is far more interesting IMO. Billions invested by Tory Party backers on shorting a bad Brexit outcome. Rees Mogg is clearly up to his neck in it and it looks like Johnson is too (as is Farage’s Brexit “Party”).

Darren and zarniwoop like this.
  6. thebigfredc

thebigfredc pfm Member

Agreed, Major and his double standards: telling us to get back to basics whilst he was getting down to basics with Edwina.

7. thebigfredc

thebigfredc pfm Member

Not in my book.

It could be argued thought that Abbott is only in her present position as a reward for being in her previous positions. Of course Corbyn has the advantage that he knows the kind of clout she can bring to the Labour front bench but to many outsiders she seems to have already been promoted beyond her talent.

Rat

8. billo

billo pfm Member

Jesus! Forty years is a bit of a wait to get a leg up after a leg over

vuk, Bob McC and ks.234 like this.
  9. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

Sorry, I’m struggling to understand your point then. Originally you said......

.... drawing some sort of equivalence between Johnson’s corruption, lies, and violent rhetoric and Corbyn because he had sex with Diana Abbott? Not sure I get the link.

You also suggest that Diana Abbott is only where she is now because of that sexual relationship. This is of course demonstrable nonsense.

Then there is all the stuff about Blair and his alleged financial shenanigans which seems equally irrelevant.

10. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

...and a bloody Arsenal fan!!!

jackbarron and droodzilla like this.
  11. droodzilla

droodzilla pfm Member

Yes, it could be argued.

As a matter of fact it often is argued: by racists and misogynists on the far-right, who seem to have it in for Diane Abbott, for some reason.

But, as a thoughtful, articulate Conservative, I'm sure that you would never suggest that. Am I right?

The simplest explanation for Diane Abbott's position is: a. seniority, experience and a lifetime of political activism, fighting for the rights of minorities; b. political loyalty - a valuable asset in a PLP that was (and. to a degree, still is) hostile to Corbyn's project.

FireMoon, ks.234 and kendo like this.
  12. Barrymagrec

Barrymagrec pfm Member

It`s not all about instant gratification you know.....

13. thebigfredc

thebigfredc pfm Member

Sorry for the late reply on this one.

Pleased to report no racism or misogyny here.

My views on Abbott are purely based on watching her performances on Question Time for the last thirty years or so. I found her opinions drab and uninspiring. There was also the instance where she didn't seem to be able to do basic addition and subtraction when she was shadow home secretary at the last election.

Ray

14. wow&flutter

wow&flutter pfm Member

I caught the end of a phone in last week where it was suggested the EU will be introducing laws where politicians will be required to show much more intimate financials in 2020 and this was a factor in Johnson and his backers to get out ASAP!

15. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Depends who with, rather. With someone else's wife? Not great. Fairly high on the reprehensible stakes. With a 14 year old child? That'll do it for sure.

16. MikeMA

MikeMA pfm Member

It's no secret that Dianne Abbott once had a relationship with Jeremy Corbyn, but what has this got to with the payment of public funds to an American "consultant" who allegedly provided "personal services" on the side to Johnson?

jackbarron and Bob McC like this.
  17. ff1d1l

ff1d1l pfm Member

But emulation is the sincerest form of flattery...

TheDecameron likes this.
  18. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

Well, her language comprehension is superior to your own. Perhaps it’s something to do with her educational attainment.

19. MikeMA

MikeMA pfm Member

Just incase anyone has missed this:

"Downing Street has denied a claim that Boris Johnson squeezed a female journalist's thigh under the table at a private lunch.

Writing in the Sunday Times, Charlotte Edwardes said the incident happened to her at the offices of the Spectator magazine in 1999.

A Number 10 spokesman said: "This allegation is untrue."

But Ms Edwardes said if the PM "doesn't recollect the incident then clearly I have a better memory than he does".

In her first column for the Sunday Times, published on the eve of the Conservative conference in Manchester, Ms Edwardes said she was seated on Mr Johnson's right.

"More wine is poured; more wine is drunk. Under the table I feel Johnson's hand on my thigh. He gives it a squeeze.

"His hand is high up my leg and he has enough inner flesh beneath his fingers to make me sit suddenly upright."

Ms Edwardes said another woman at the lunch later told her he had done the same to her.

Mr Johnson was editor of the Spectator at the time."

Full story here:https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49873301

20. Rana

Rana pfm Member

I thought it was not just politicians - I understand it requires disclosure everyone who uses cross border schemes (e.g. for tax avoidance). In addition to this, don't forget the hedging positions of disaster capitalists from the results of a no-deal Brexit - even Rachel Johnson made reference to this.

wow&flutter likes this.