1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Joshua Fight -Spoiler

Discussion in 'off topic' started by mand, Jun 2, 2019.

1. mand

mand pfm Member

can’t see a thread on this already.
    Just woke to hear the news - he lost!
    I didn’t watch it, but the reports make out he didn’t look world class.
    Another short lived heavyweight champ.

2. christray

christray pfm Member

Beaten by a boxer if you know what I mean. Joshua looks impressive though.

3. crimsondonkey

crimsondonkey pfm Member

Joshua is still a top fighter who for reasons unknown looked totally unprepared and fatigued. He will come back and do Ruiz but have to watch Fury and Wilder take the advantage, especially psychologically.

Now we’ll find out if he has the guts for it.

Fair play to Ruiz though, he took his shot. He pounded AJ to the body and weakened him. Not at all what I’d expect, which is why something looks wrong.

If I was AJ I’d be having a long hard look at the team who advised and prepared me...

lordmortlock likes this.
  4. matt j

matt j pfm Member

I struggle to understand why, when your only job is to be as physically prepared as humanly possible for one specific day, that you can turn up out of sorts. It's not like he's doing 50 hours a week in a factory and a bit of boxing on the side, this is all he fecking does!!

I know they have all sorts of experts paid to work out how best to taper exercise and nutrition to build up to a fight, but something is wrong, look at the physical condition of the guy who beat him.

I think he's carrying too much muscle, it can't be easy to maintain that physique whilst simultaneously trying to train it for a stamina and technical challenge such as top level boxing.

5. fatmarley

fatmarley Registered User

I don't know anything about his training but I do know that it could be natural muscle. Some people are just built like that.

6. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

Sad that AJ lost last night, he seems to be a decent bloke & a good role model unlike Fury & Wilder.

7. blossomchris

blossomchris I feel better than James Brown

I have not seen the fight yet, but it sounds like body shots were his downfall.

I would be surprised if he lost the rematch,

Bloss

8. christray

christray pfm Member

I can't think of a real top heavy weight who looks chiselled in the way Joshua is. Punchers granted ie Bruno but when they face technically gifted boxers they fall apart. Currently Fury is a proper boxer people may not like him but he boxed Wilders ears off. Wilder is poor technically but he can certainly punch as can Joshua.

Tarzan likes this.
  9. drummerman

drummerman pfm Member

I was so wrong.

I watched the pre-fight reports and thought ... what has happened to heavy weight boxing? Ruiz ... overweight, not in shape with both a significant height and reach disadvantage.

Well, Joshua was totally out boxed, both technically and athletically.

I believe in H/weight boxing again. Not all fights are fixed and I am hugely pleased for the Mexican.

I like Joshua a lot. He is relatively humble and very articulate. A likeable character and I am certain he will come back from this.

Can't wait for the rematch.

10. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Waiting for the streetcar..

I think I may have been at Harrow with him - is he one of the Hampshire Fight-Spoilers?

11. tqineil

tqineil pfm Member

Can't take a punch clearly tho granted that Ruiz was determined and tough

12. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

He did win an Olympic medal so pretty sure he can actually box. Upsets happen in boxing

13. christray

christray pfm Member

So did Audley Harrison lol.
    No doubt he can box just to get in the ring takes massive spuds, unfortunately he is limited.

tqineil likes this.
  14. christray

christray pfm Member

So did Audley Harrison lol.
    No doubt he can box just to get in the ring takes massive spuds, unfortunately he is limited.

15. hifilover1979

hifilover1979 Bigger than you...

IMO he was outboxed by a fighter, not a boxer... Ruiz did superbly well and it was a deserved win; AJ just looked hammered and TBH I don't think he expected it and maybe gave Ruiz too much leniency

16. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

;-)

Pedro83, fatmarley and blossomchris like this.
  17. lordmortlock

lordmortlock pfm Member

Styles make fights innit.

Fair play to Ruiz, he executed his game plan superbly. Got inside well, he has really quick hands for HW and that helped him close the distance. He’s not afraid to take a few on the way in either, decent chin.

Joshua, in contrast, didn’t seem to have a plan, let alone be able to follow it. He was easily flustered and I just wonder if Ruiz hurt him a couple of times early on and shook his confidence a bit. He’s always been quite one dimensional imo and that really showed last night. His head movement was almost non existent.

I think he probably wins the rematch (especially if Hearn can swing a UK venue) but beyond that I think he gets outpunched by Wilder and outboxed by Fury.

Pedro83, Weekender, mand and 2 others like this.
  18. tqineil

tqineil pfm Member

will he get a rematch?

19. lordmortlock

lordmortlock pfm Member

For certain. It was in the pre fight contract.

20. crimsondonkey

crimsondonkey pfm Member

It wasn’t too much muscle that cost Joshua this fight, it was turning up looking completely disinterested, with no discernible game plan, and with fitness yes but no hardness and capacity to take punishment, which is a shocking lack of preparation imo.