1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Joshua Fight -Spoiler

Discussion in 'off topic' started by mand, Jun 2, 2019.

1. Pedro83

Pedro83 pfm Member

I think the pressure got to him. Ruiz fought a fantastic fight though and all credit to him, he was patient and fought really well. It made my weekend knowing how it has changed his life. AJ didn't want to be there. Jabs to the hip, something I've never seen AJ do. No prayer pre fight, looked somewhat relieved after being finished. He handled the loss extremely well but something wasn't right. AJ doesn't transition well between boxing and fighting IMO. He is too robotic, maybe too stiff. Fury would probably jab his face off as he wishes.

AJ allowed Ruiz to plant his feet and AJ didn't use his size advantages to negate this and maintain distances. I'm pretty sure we will see a different fight in the rematch. For which Ruiz is "contracted" to earn 10m, he is asking for 50m should it be in the UK lol.

It couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. AJ and many generations of his family are setup beyond what most can imagine. Ruiz was completely overlooked. The casuals inc myself wrote him off merely based on his looks, a loss was always going to come at some stage for AJ. Ruiz's hands are quicker than AJ and can throw superb combos, he fought the perfect fight, patient etc and it paid off. Perhaps the extra flesh helps absorb body shots; I wouldn't know - through lack of boxing!

The rematch will be huge.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  2. Pedro83

Pedro83 pfm Member

Indeed, he can whack too. Went the distance with Parker. A fight I believe Ruiz edged.

Fury has a lot to say on a regular basis, contradicting himself each time. I've lost count how many times he has stated the AJ fight won't ever happen.

Does anyone know which charity Fury donated his Wilder purse to btw?... I'mma little sceptical of this.

3. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

No perhaps about it, it does. It's why rugby players carry some fat. Mo Farah could outrun all of them, but the first time there was a collision he'd be carried off in bits.

4. Rack Kit

Rack Kit pfm Member

Speaking to a guy who trains most days for the last 20 years and he explained how muscle been an active organ that requires energy & oxygen just to do it's thing so the more heavy muscle that AJ puts on the quicker he'll tire over the distance of a fight.

Not seen the whole fight so can't properly judge how he looked but the common theme is he looked slower than previous fights almost in a daze? Maybe it was just a one-off bad night & he'll be back to normal in the rematch but who knows what will happen there? Loses the rematch and it suddenly looks bleak for him.

Personally, I want to see all 4 of them (Ruiz, AJ, Wilder & Fury) taking each other on but can't see it happening. That's boxing for you.

5. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

All other things being equal, yes of course. You never see a 16 stone marathon winner, after all. Nobody wants to lug all that extra flesh around. But they aren't equal. Big and strong usually beats fit and lean in a fight. Usually.

Aye well, so would we all.

6. cutting42

cutting42 Heading to Fish Hacker Erg \o/

It is simple, the fix was in!

Look at the amount of money won by those betting on Ruiz. AJ winning was boring and expected therefore no interest generated. Ruiz winning has galvanised the division further, you now have 4 contenders, another big payday for AJ and Ruiz followed by potential big money fights between any or all of the 4 fighters.

7. Rack Kit

Rack Kit pfm Member

I don't buy that. Why would a fighter who's already earned (and earning) a fortune throw away a no loss record? Makes no sense.

8. christray

christray pfm Member

Yes very true about muscle and tiring quickly look at a sprinter in comparison to a distance runner says it all. Did Ali, Foreman, Tyson and Lewis look like bodybuilders? Nutrition has come on leaps and bounds but I bet all the above would still look pretty similar to their heyday. I like AJ but Klitschko in his prime wouldn't have let him of the hook in their fight. Good luck to him though.

9. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

Any of you boxing fans going to see Josh Warrington in Leeds tommorrow?

10. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

One of our family going so hope to hear all about it

11. blossomchris

blossomchris I feel better than James Brown

Looking forward to this one, should be a real tear up, a couple of other scraps on the same card look interesting.

I doubt if I will have the stamina, or footwork to watch Fury live so the replay will do as long as I keep away from the morning news

Bloss

hifinutt likes this.
  12. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

a lot of class on display by that crowd at the weigh-in.

13. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

14. blossomchris

blossomchris I feel better than James Brown

Best of British, makes for a good atmosphere during the fight, at the weigh in, Nah

Bloss