1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Julian Assange arrested

Discussion in 'off topic' started by thebiglebowski, Apr 11, 2019.

1. Swamp Thing

Swamp Thing Remainiac Traitor

2. Jonathan

Jonathan pfm Member

3. flatpopely

flatpopely Prog Rock/Moderator

He's going to the good old US of A I suspect.

4. stephen bennett

stephen bennett Mr Enigma

So how do those who said that Assange wouldn’t be extradited to the US, respond now that is precisely what will probably happen.

Stephen

maxflinn likes this.
  5. thebiglebowski

thebiglebowski pfm Member

"Send us a postcard from Gitmo."

6. maxflinn

maxflinn Bernie Sanders 2020.

I see the husband of the judge presiding over the Assange case is an ex Tory defence minister who used to be the chairman of Conservative Friends of Israel.

I bet he's urging her to apply the law fairly, eh...

ff1d1l and Jonathan like this.
  7. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I’m disappointed we are even getting involved with this, we should ship the rapey asshat to Sweden and let them deal with any US extradition process. It really is none of our business.

8. Jonathan

Jonathan pfm Member

seriously Tony? and who gave you access to Assange's file? Din't even know you was swedish ...

9. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Those were the charges he was cowering in the Ecuadorian embassy from, they predate the US charges, so in my mind should be the ones he faces first. I just want to get him out of the UK, so far he has wasted £millions of tax-payer’s money and I would far prefer to pay for schools, hospitals, art galleries etc than harbouring or prosecuting this narcissistic time-wasting arsehole when we aren’t really even involved. I’m perfectly happy for him to go face the US administration he so actively helped elect, but that is between him, them, and Sweden. The rape charges must be addressed first IMO. Just get him out of here!

crimsondonkey likes this.
  10. Jonathan

Jonathan pfm Member

well we all know your feelings on him but please allow the man 'due process' which he almost CERTAINLY will not get ... it would be better to keep the kangaroo courts off the public record to my mind. Now i'll get back to my William Golding book ...

11. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Are you implying the Swedish democracy or legal system is in some way inferior to ours? My impression is of a far nicer, balanced and more decent country than Little England in 2019. I would certainly never describe Sweden as a ‘kangaroo court’.

12. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

That’s quite a serious accusation, Max.

13. maxflinn

maxflinn Bernie Sanders 2020.

There were no rape charges.

He entered the embassy to avoid illegal extradition to the U.S., be it via Sweden or the UK.

Clearly he was right to be worried about such a thing, as it's now happening.

stephen bennett and Jonathan like this.
  14. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

No, what is happening now is legal extradition, just like what would have happened in Sweden, years ago.

The irony is that if he’d opted to face the music in Sweden, he’d have been in Sweden now, but he’s on his way to the US, which is probably going to work out rather worse for him.

15. Joe

Joe pfm Member

He was right to be worried and it's deservedly happening.

Jonathan likes this.
  16. Jonathan

Jonathan pfm Member

actually i was implying YOUR opinion was that of a kangaroo court - the way that people on social media for example, seem to love coming to a verdict based on prejudices (aka: 'burn the witch!') ... and that to the best of my knowledge you are not presiding over a swedish court ... so you might refrain from making representations you know nothing about other than idle gossip etc

stephen bennett and vuk like this.
  17. sq225917

sq225917 situation engineer

I dont like Assange as a person, but I value what Wikileaks was set up to do. However they've allowed themselves to become politicised rather than remain objective.

If he's broken the law let him stand trial in the country the crime was committed In, whatever that alleged crime is.

Sue Pertwee-Tyr likes this.
  18. graystoke4

graystoke4 pfm Member

who cares

19. richgilb

richgilb Admonishtrator

i think it has a higher proportion of ukipper types in government than farage could ever dream of.

20. Jonathan

Jonathan pfm Member

skito, Sue Pertwee-Tyr and jackbarron like this.