1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Just been to the shops!?

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Rockmeister, Mar 17, 2020.

1. MikeMA

MikeMA pfm Member

I remember those! One of my first jobs as a civil servant in the Mistry of Works in the early 1970s was to seek out suitable new premises for the stockpiles.

We also looked after strategic stockpiles for the NHS held in old RAF aircraft hangars dotted around the country. We had complete military field hospitals, with some of the kit dating back to WWI! I sometimes wonder what happened to all those old canvas tents, stretchers and blankets. I'm pretty sure they would have been useless had WWIII broken out!

Snufkin, Seeker_UK and gavreid like this.
  2. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

You're missing the point, I'm talking warehouse capacity to hold such stock. I was under the impression that they were preparing, renting more space, holding onto extra capacity etc. Is this not what they were saying? That space hasn't been absorbed into the economy on the timescale we're talking about. My contention is they never had it, or not very much

3. SteveG

SteveG pfm Member

They moved up here from London a couple of weeks back as we were expecting restrictions were going to be put in place - so yes, at least for the next few months (and she's planning to move to Edinburgh for her next uni course so quite possibly a bit longer term than that).

4. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Waiting for the streetcar..

They did. Ready for January. The crisis didn't happen and so their contingency measures could be (and as I understand it) were stopped. Stock can be reacquired in 2-3 months so there is no need to hold on to anything that doesn't generate revenue or costs money. That will include warehouse space; no-one is going to rent extra capacity until the absolute latest they need to. The assumption will be that if they have to get extra warehousing and stock to go in it ahead of a no-deal crash in Dec 20, it'll be a repeat of last year and the necessary purchases and rentals will be made in the Summer.

5. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Amp design and repairs.

FFS! One extreme to the other here... You would now think Ebola was on the loose round here.. Make up a sentence including the following words: Horse. Stable. Bolted. Gates.

Uniformed guards at supermarkets allowing one in as one comes out. People shouted at to move apart if closer than 2m. Bread rationed to one loaf per customer.

I'm disinfecting all shopping that is water proof and putting anything else aside for a day till the germs die off.

It's like an August day here today. Went out on push bike with usual thick fleece on and was dripping with sweat by the time I got to shops... was thinking OMG people will think I've got a fever... arghh!

gavreid and Snufkin like this.
  6. Eyebroughty

Eyebroughty JohnC

Just been to the local Tesco's to pick up my prescription at the pharmacy there.

Only two in front of me in the queue, well spaced apart, Tesco's have done a great job there give them credit for that.

The guy at the front of the queue, well I think it was a guy, was in a full bio X-Files/SAS siege busting outfit, looked very impressive, I thought the SAS had been called out.

The thing that pissed me off the most was I never took my phone out to record it and put it on YouTube, aghhhhhh.... :D

7. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

Yes I understood your point the first time - I don't buy it that's all.

Seeker_UK likes this.
  8. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

Stables have doors; fields have gates. Linguistic 'orses for courses.:D

9. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Amp design and repairs.

Poncy southern stables may have doors... :D

10. ff1d1l

ff1d1l pfm Member

Soon to be unremarkable.

11. Seeker_UK

I don't get what you're "not buying". Don't you agree that supermarkets try and keep their costs down and profit up? They're the drivers behind what I stated.

12. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

How’s the dog taking it? More targets to work on for food?

13. SteveG

SteveG pfm Member

He's enjoying it - more people to beg off, and more people to spend their one walk a day with him. He's had 3 walks today - my wife this morning, my son and his girlfriend at lunchtime and then with me this evening - over two hours in all.

Alex S likes this.
  14. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

I get the impression that dogs generally must be having a good Coronavirus outbreak, particularly the ones normally home alone during the day.

Alex S likes this.
  15. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

I do - I don't buy that they had large areas of warehouse space, which they freed up, and is now unavailable to them.

16. Seeker_UK

Fair enough.

gavreid likes this.
  17. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Just back in from a quick bike ride which again took me past the local Asda and Aldi. Both looked really empty, so from what I can tell are likely far safer than the early designated ‘elderly/at-risk’ hours where people seem to have to queue. The car parks were empty and whilst I didn’t go in for a closer look I couldn’t see more than a couple of people. Still not something I’m prepared to navigate myself, but if you really must go, late may well be the time to do it.

18. Marchbanks

Marchbanks Hat and Beard member

A friend of mine went to our local Asda this afternoon. Very few punters, everything she wanted in stock bar pasta and bog rolls. Overall, much better than Asda usually is, was her verdict.

Alex S likes this.
  19. Alex S

Alex S carbon based lifeform

My Aldi was out of poorly fitting briefs.

20. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

...but you got a new arc welder instead?