1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Just been to the shops!?

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Rockmeister, Mar 17, 2020.

1. windhoek

windhoek The Phoolosopher

Same at the Morrisons where my mum lives in the east end of Glasgow; I presume it'll be the same at mine as well.

2. Roger Adams

Roger Adams pfm Member

Tescos here are only letting in those who are prepared to help with their stock of Spam.

3. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

Tony
    This company just delivered a veg box to me.
    Order placed yesterday.
    They deliver within 60 miles of Manchester.

http://www.rnooneandson.co.uk/home-delivery.html

Weekender and Tony L like this.
  4. Roger Adams

Roger Adams pfm Member

No partners - shop alone. One in, one out. Queues six feet apart and hundreds of meters long. Nothing on the shelves anyway. We aren't controlling this thing in any way. It is controlling us.

Shadders likes this.
  5. George J

George J Herefordshire member

From the patrons point of view this afternoon.

I went into work and snaffled a box of disposable glove, which we ask our customers to us. No way of accounting that so gratis.

I went into our larger Coop. Actually not so bad. No loo rolls, and only the most expensive baked beans left [I like the Coop beans best so left them] and worst was only 2 litre milk available. I feel naughty buying milk in the big bottle though it will keep.

People so nice and keeping the proper distance. I wore my disposable gloves and was complimented for it by an NHS nurse, also food shopping.

Next shift at the petrol station on Saturday, so keeping at home till then.

Also had a phone call from my oldest Polish friend. Still working, which is good. Only three staff at a time in high tech work, so social distancing is easily achieved. Those who are on zero hour contracts, like MacDonalds, who cannot work, must really be feeling this, so let's hope for social responsibility from most, so that things can recover a bit and before long. But as my dear Polish friend said, "This is going to take months, or even a year to fix." I had already realised that. The fix will be when a vaccine is available.

Polish people are so sane!

Best wishes from George

6. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart Avoiding Stress, at Every Opportunity

7. JensenHealey

JensenHealey pfm Member

my kids (19) went out shopping this afternoon....they were bored and I am working, mum out at work.

They went to Aldi - normal activity and no problems. No toilet roll. Finished off at Morrisons nearby. Apart from limits on wine (ony 2 bottles of each type allowed) again no problems -but no bog roll. Quite easy really. Perhaps mid-late afternoon is a better bet - there were pictures of long queues of oldies at Sainsbury's this morning.

8. Jamie

Jamie pfm Member

Just done a big shop at Morrisons. Theme Park style barrier queue to get in, 25 mins wait to get in at 4:30. First time I've been out since Sunday.
    Reasonably successful, got most of what we needed. The few bits I could not get are not urgent, except washing up liquid. Managed to get a bottle from the Londis nearby. Plenty of fruit and vegetables. Not that much meat, but we have a few bits in the freezer for now. No tinned tomatoes again, down to one tin now. There was a bit of pasta, but already have enough for now, so left it for someone more needy.

9. timH

timH Senior Moment Member

10. Roger Adams

Roger Adams pfm Member

Received 20kg of Rice along with 30 eggs and a large box of both salt and dried chillies in the post.

I'm not going to die of starvation :)

11. Alex S

Alex S carbon based lifeform

You won’t need loo roll either.

12. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

20kg! Bloody hell. I thought I was doing well with about 4kg stockpiled...

Its pasta and tinned tomatoes I want to stockpile as it is genuinely my staple diet, the limits mean I can eat it less often than usual! The way my supermarket orders have come in I’ve been living on fresh stuff and stockpiling any canned goods they’d let me have. I’m actually pretty well stocked now, plus have two further deliveries booked. Hopefully there’ll be some nice wholemeal pasta by then...I’ve got a little (less than a kg) but I’m stashing that for later.

13. collected 10Kg from our local Chinese super market - they had loads of stock and 1kg bags of glutinous rice

14. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

Fortnightly fruit and veg box arrived this morning. Small local farm co-operative effort, lovely stuff. Apparently they’ve just trebled their customer base in a week - the previous base took 7 years to build! They’re closing to new customers now as approaching the limit of what they can supply. So glad we signed up over a year ago!

eternumviti and Alex S like this.
  15. timH

20 kg - wow. At 75g per serving that’s 267 servings. 4 person household, 3 meals a day. That’s around 3 weeks supply. But as has been said no need for loo roll and you’ll be put off rice for life :(

16. Alex S

Alex S carbon based lifeform

Sue, I don’t do this anymore, can get pricey for five, but I used to. It’s nice to see some basically good people doing well out of this shitshow.

Weekender and Sue Pertwee-Tyr like this.
  17. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

Wow ! That's almost a whole paddy field !

Roger Adams likes this.
  18. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

Change the flour for chickpea flour.
    You’ll thank me for the tip.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020 at 5:48 AM
  19. timH

I might have a go at that. I’ve got some chick pea flour that I was going to make panelle with but fresh parsley might be difficult to get and enough oil for deep frying might be a stretch too.

20. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

My Mrs works for the NHS and there were long queues of oldies at Sainsbury's during the essential workers half hour yesterday morning. They were standing right next to the entrance with no distance between them. She had a strong word about not getting near frontline staff for their own safety but just got blank looks.