1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Kawasaki bicycle

Discussion in 'off topic' started by stevec67, Sep 16, 2019.

1. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Here's a bit of fun that will be a suitable antidote for all the Brexit gloom. I want to paint a bike (bicycle, peal powered) in Kawasaki colours.

First off an anecdote. Back when I was a kid there was a family at the end of the road, I think they had 3 sons, all older than me. They lived in a big traditional farmhouse, double fronted, and the place was of a size that they could allow the lads one of the downstairs lounges (!) as their own. They and their mates installed a TV, record player, and the like. I used to pass by on summers evenings and chat to them as they hung out of the front window, playing records and the usual teenage stuff. They were all bike mad, the bikes of the time were RD350s, ARs and the like. They asked permission to paint it Kawasaki colours, their parents wisely said "you can do what you like if you buy the paint, do the work and don't make a mess" so off they went. Lime green walls, black ceiling, white coving, skirting boards, windows and doors. It looked absolutely great. They were the envy of their mates and the place was always full of the Hall lads and their various mates and girlfriends. Mostly mates, really, I don't think the girls were too keen on the rather male flavour of the place.

Fast forward 30-odd years. I've spent the summer booting around on a ratty old bike that I picked up second hand, but with a bit of servicing it's actually turned into a really nice bike to kick about on. I could carry on just hacking about but I think it deserves better. So Kawasaki colours it is. I know a local powder coater who will do a frame for about £30, sparkly lacquer for £not much extra. I know he has a green that's as close to Kawa Lime as it needs to be, and the bike has black rims, hubs, bars, seat etc. Yellow pedals but I can paint or change them. I'm thinking green frame & forks, black moving parts, and a few bits of white trim. Maybe a set of Kawasaki transfers in white down the downtubes, I'm sure you can get them. But where else to place the white accents? All the Kawa bicycles I've seen on the net look a bit pants and I am very sure that if I did a decent job on this it would look great. Any suggestions?

2. Rob998

Rob998 Scimmia Nordoccidentale

Maybe you could do it in 90’s Kawasaki France colours, Kwaka Green (actually a 60’s AMC colour, in its original form at least) with a white stripe and red bits. Might go down well with the bike cognoscenti in Stras...

[​IMG]

3. richgilb

richgilb Admonishtrator

Green frame, matt black forks, gold rims, easy on the decals for me. Possibly white tyre pen if you get michelin or dunlops etc. Could be an easy win on decals with some blue and white hoops on the frame like bikes had in the 70s. Eddie Lawson Kawacycle!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
  4. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Amp design and repairs.

I had a GPZ550 instantly turn into a push bike once... had to push the bloody thing a mile or so! Head gasket let go in a big way... very waterproofed jeans!
    I only had it for about 4 days when it happened but as I'd bought it dirt cheap with 110,000 miles on the clock it was par for the course.... It's the only Kwaka I ever owned... I was gutted as an 18 year old to have the finance turned down literally at the last moment on a new KH250 after everything had seemingly gone through alright and I'd turned up at bike shop with helmet etc to collect it!

5. Jamie

Jamie pfm Member

If you are going to base it on a 2 stroke triple, you will need to get the welder out to fit a hinge in the middle of the frame!

stevec67 and Rockmeister like this.
  6. -alan-

-alan- pfm Member

Super idea.

Initially thought something in Rich's Eddie Lawson colours would be cool, but not sure how that'd translate to the thinner tubes/less surface area on a bicycle. There is a nice metallic lime green / blue and white striped ZRX1200R a few pics down in this link which might be a decent modern take on it:

https://hooshmand.net/kawasaki-green-machines-z900rs-zrx1200r-zrx1100-z1-kz1000r/

For decals - maybe a subtle chromed / suitably curved metal Kawasaki 'K' on the head-tube, 'Lawson' on the downtube and 'Kerker' on the lower rear fork tube :)

Alternatively ...what about a Bol d'Or replica Kwack:

https://motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/Racers/kawasaki_1000_bol_d.htm

Get the green right, stick on a pair of twin lights of some description on the front, and some discrete white/yellow flashes and imitation sponsor logos and you'd be there :)

7. -alan-

-alan- pfm Member

Must be time for a couple of gratuitous Eddie Lawson shots surely..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(Black crank, chainwheel and pedals it's gonna have to be btw Steve ..)

8. Pete MB&D

Pete MB&D Pete Maddex, the one and only!

Rob998 likes this.
  9. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Thanks gents, with your help and a bit of Google images I reckon I have it. The Eddie Lawson bit put me on to the blue, I'd forgotten that. With that in mind I had a look at some KX/KMX models etc and lo and behold, blue and white on the green, black elsewhere. Looking good. I must admit I've never seen the Kawa France red, that's got the same triangle that Pete's bike has in blue, so I have a theme running there.

I thought about gold wheels, they look good but my wheels are already black. Fortuitously they have red anodised spoke nipples so that's a nice nod to the Kawa France thing. I'm not respraying wheels. Likewise with black bars, levers, stem, seat pin, seat, I don't want to go black forks. I think with a bike having less area than a motorbike the forks are a major part of the look so I'll keep them frame colour. Again on the race bkes I liked the white rear, wasn't sure how to do it on a bike. However if you look at Pete's bike again there's that triangle on the fairing, same shape as the Kawa France race bike, and the tailpiece has the blue on white theme again. So I'm after a blue and white triangle or similar shapes towards the back of a bike. All bikes ahve a rear triangle. Making the whole thing blue and white wouldn't work, but I'm thinking of a blue triangle where the tubes come together and the axle goes through, maybe extending for an inch or two up the seat stays and chain stays, then a white band on both chain stays and both seat stays, again say 2" wide. So from the back it goes blue-white-green and it's green all the way to the black moving parts.

I'm with Rich, less is more on logos. I really don't want a dobbing great "KAWASAKI" logo down my down tube. However as you suggest a stainless steel "K" in the right font would be good. I can make that. I hadn't though of putting it on the top tube, why not? Another on the seat tube wouldn't go amiss.

Then I go looking on the net and it's all but sodding well been done for me:https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Giant-ATX-...lGtubxBQHj5NuCPcOlNwLAqnfQ8fbwwaAi6kEALw_wcB#
    Edit - this url is blocked but look up "Giant ATX 2 green" and you'll find a pic that looks very similar to what I plan to produce. Substitute blue stripes for the black on the seat stays, you're pretty close.
    Just like bloody buses. Still, mine will be better 'cos I made it.

Brilliant ideas, thanks gents, I'm off to ring my powder coater.

Oh, and I'm not fitting a hinge in the frame to make it handle like a KH. It handles nicely at the moment, I'm keeping it that way. I don't plan on fitting a head gasket either, that's one problem I won't have.

10. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Pleasant surprise, powder in any colour you like is £20 plus blasting, for frame and forks. The place I use sends out for blasting so I am sniffing round closer to home for that part of the operation. Last time I did this it was £30 frame only including a metallic lacquer, staggeringly cheap when you start pricing up paint and thinking of the labour and effort involved in making a frame look half decent.

11. cjarchez

cjarchez pfm Member

12. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

No, that doesn't do it for me. Kawasakis are green, with black and white accents. With a splash of other stuff, maybe. But that's just a stripey bike.

13. -alan-

-alan- pfm Member

£20 is pure buttons. One and only time I ever did anything similar cost me about £40 - and that was at least 25 years ago: grit-blast and finish in metallic BRG:

[​IMG]

(If it hadn't been left lying outside here 500 yds from the coast, it would probably be in better shape)

14. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Local shot blaster wants £25-30 for frame and forks. Bizarre that it costs more than the coating! Hopefully my man has a deal, certainly he did last time subject to me not being pushy on timings so he could put it with some other stuff.

15. -alan-

-alan- pfm Member

More labour involved in the blasting - powder coating with the electrostatically charged stuff is probably a 10 min and then throw it into a bit of spare space in the oven job.

Even at that - £50 quid for the lot is a pittance :)

16. richgilb

richgilb Admonishtrator

The last time I went for powder coating, 3 years ago, colour choices were quite limited.

17. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

place I used about 5 years ago local to me offered powder coating in the full range of RAL colours

18. richgilb

richgilb Admonishtrator

we could not get a match on kerbed abarth 595 wheels

19. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

full range of RAL colours were offered to us by http://www.amwblastcoat.co.uk/ we were matching the colour of a Designo Merc AMG for something

20. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

The one I have used before has a great range. I don't know if he has the full RAL range but I selected a lairy ASBO orange, think Ford Focus ST, with a met lacquer, looks great. I think he has a Kawasaki green, near enough, because I nearly went for it instead of ASBO orange.