1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Keeping in touch with loved ones

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Del monaco, Mar 20, 2020.

1. Del monaco

Del monaco Del Monaco

I realise that many may already be doing this but I recently set up Skype and Facetime for my mum and dad. Both have underlying conditions but were thrilled to be able to see out faces and chat as if we were next to each other. Though my Dad was a little belligerent in setting this up over the phone the pleasure in his face once he realised we had connected was worth the price of admission. Just a nudge that it is worth doing this as the ‘seeing’ the family face is re- assuring for many.

gavreid, Fatmarley, Covkxw and 3 others like this.
  2. Rug Doc

Rug Doc pfm Member

My step-father refuses to install Skype or the like on his computer even though I’ve tried so hard to persuade him that the internet isn’t going to steal his details and take all his money.

I haven’t seen them for a hell of a long time, as he’s basically in isolation and has been for nearly two years, following pneumonia, and then NHL.. his immune system is shot, so I haven’t been able to visit with and therefore neither Grandma or Grandpa have met their latest granddaughter, who’s just turned one! :(

I spoke to mum today for an hour or so, they are worried about food supplies but have enough for a couple of weeks.

Step dad is shitting himself as if he gets even an inkling of Covid19 he’s a gonner, but they are so well isolated (he never leaves the house anyway!) he’ll sit there on his oxygen tank and watch thousands die without even a sniffle no doubt.

I just hope and pray that his carer, my mother, doesn’t pick it up when she’s out buying stuff.. She doesn’t deserve to die for a loaf of bread and I have absolutely no idea how I’d cope if dad survives on his own. Although if mum got it, they’d almost certainly both die.

So yes, I’ll ask if I can send mum a phone in the post so she can see the grandkids.

Covkxw, Stuart Frazer and ff1d1l like this.
  3. Realist

Realist pfm Member

It's proving to be a godsend over here in Belgium. It's enabled people to stand a chance of weathering what could be a long time apart from family& loved ones. My interweb/gsm provider has already bumped customers data limits up so no one has problems with volume limits & such, & I'm sure they wouldn't like to be accused of profiteering during a national crisis when this is "over".

4. martin clark

martin clark pinko bodger

@Del monaco - spot-on; sim conversations between my parents and us siblings: so I'm sorting an iPad for them tomorrow.

My parents (79&80) have & use a PC for email, misc other tasks - but tech savvy really isn't them at all . They've been part of facetime calls between us siblings, but until now thought it some kind of Blue Peter novelty. Haha, now when will we see you...

Now they finally 'got it' for themselves, that the need to distance is for a time undefined; and they do have social lives and outside interests and many friends to keep-up with, for all kinds of reasons: that for the meanwhile seeing the people they're talking to on 'a phone call', once they realised it's a simple everyday doable thing, will be very soothing.

5. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Waiting for the streetcar..

Is there a way you can set up two Android 'phones to 'facetime' (or whatever the equivalent is in Android) via WiFi at each end?

6. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

I could never get along with Skype when my daughters/son-in-law tried to get me involved. He even ordered a camera for me (from Oz) but still disliked it. That was a few years ago, so maybe it's improved but I thought at the times it was a bit surreal and like a hall of mirrors; disembodied, almost.

It would be useful for my Oz daughter and the one in Kent, but email for the first and phone calls for the second are probably my limit. I am just a bit old, though!

7. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

Skype is amazing.
    It enables me to stay in contact with my son in New York on a weekly basis via video.

8. Del monaco

Del monaco Del Monaco

I think you can get a Skype app. You can for IPad.If not What’s App has a system. My wife was using it yesterday to talk to her brother in Basel and Dad in York.They could see each other.They are going to meet for a virtual coffee every day. Technology will be at its best at this time.once my Dad was set up his face changed and it gave him an obvious boost.I could see it in his face, not just his voice.

9. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

Skype or Zoom

Seeker_UK likes this.
  10. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

still like that in some ways, but you do get used to it

11. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Watch out for WhatsApp, see my thread earlier. I now have all contacts seen on all devices and Ann from Birmingham offering me action, because I'm a cutie.

12. Del monaco

Del monaco Del Monaco

Good point but some may see that as advantageous, as Ann from Birmingham clearly does.

13. Del monaco

Del monaco Del Monaco

It’s worth persevering. I managed to get through his crotchety cynical attitude. It’s a change thing.Makes them feel more anxious and insecure than they already are. My dad still calls my hiring a gramophone just to wind me up I think.They seem to enjoy being contrary when they age.I wonder if it will happen to me.Hope so.

14. Del monaco

Del monaco Del Monaco

By the way, I’m sitting here listening to Radio 3, coffee in hand, sun shining through my window.You'd just think life was normal.

15. BTC3

BTC3 pfm Member

We’ve been using this for a while. My grandmother never got to grips with it, but if someone was with her who had video call capability she loved receiving calls from her great grandson. I use it when travelling to talk to kiddo (aged three), either for a quick “good night” or for him to read me a bedtime story. We use a combination of whatever works: FaceTime, Skype, WhatsApp... for work we use Threema. Not free, but good encryption and servers located in Swiss jurisdiction for relatively good privacy.

Dowser likes this.
  16. matt j

matt j pfm Member

Can you do this through two ipads on Wi-Fi easily enough? I may set it up for my Dad and his Mrs so when he is able to she can video call him at hospital.

17. Marchbanks

Marchbanks Hat and Beard member

Don’t fall for it Steve, as soon as you run out of bog roll she’ll be off again.

18. Del monaco

Del monaco Del Monaco

Use face time.

19. BTC3

BTC3 pfm Member

Might be able to do it with FaceTime, definitely with Skype. With Skype you’ll need an account at each end. With FaceTime I think you may need an Apple account on each machine.

Del monaco likes this.
  20. Cheese

Cheese Bitter lover

Does Google Hangouts still exist ? It used to be pre-installed on more or less every Android phone. No logging in apart from the basic Google account.