1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Khadas Tone Board

Discussion in 'd.i.y.' started by tomek, Jan 31, 2020.

1. brumjam

brumjam pfm Member

Possibly. It’s not an easy task to remove the DC/DC converter as I said. Given that I had three older model Pi’s I was prepared to sacrifice one....plus there’s no such thing as half measures with DIY audio :).

2. misterdog

misterdog Not the canine kind

3. tomek

tomek pfm Member

4. sq225917

sq225917 Bit of this, bit of that

3.2A 5.5v will do, though the lt3045 gives it's best noise figures when dropping a touch more voltage

5. tomek

tomek pfm Member

you mean 6.5V ? The mezzanine prereg LT3086 (Module A) is delivering 5.5V to Module B which has to deliver 5V to PI.
    LT3086 needs min. 1V input-output difference, so maybe 6.6V ?

6. sq225917

That sounds fair with enough heatsink.
    3083 is 3 amp though, I'd use that depending on what else runs off the pi.

7. tomek

tomek pfm Member

HDMI and WLAN is off, Pi 4 is underclocked.

8. sq225917

I'd still give it 3 amp

9. sq225917

That works

10. tomek

tomek pfm Member

I have one 7A linear ps with LT1083CP.

[​IMG]

11. Thegus

Thegus New Member

Hi tomek. What pins are you using for Power inputs? Did you disconnect the +5 in your USB lead or as mentioned on the www, does the external feed automatically disable USB 5 volt feed?

Thanks

12. tomek

tomek pfm Member

Hi Thegus,
    i am using pins 1 and 21. When the Tone Board is powered from external ps on pins1/21, than it automatically disconnects power coming from USB, you don't have to change anything in the usb cable, tone board or Pi.

13. Thegus

Thegus New Member

Thanks for that tomek, that's great, a lot less work than I thought it was going to be. Had my Tone Board for a week or so, but haven't had a chance to hook it up yet. Hopefully it'll sound good and be worth the PSU upgrade. I'll let you know.

14. tomek

tomek pfm Member

You can play with different linear ps, o just take 2x ifi ipower 5v. One for Tone Board and one for Pi.
    Ifi ipower is IMHO probably better than many linear ps ...
    I used linear ps, because i had components from old diy projects, i only bought mezzanine.

15. Tom Bonjour

Tom Bonjour pfm Member

Has anyone here had the opportunity to compare the Toneboard with the Soncoz DAC(s), which were designed by the same person who designed the Toneboard?

16. glenn jarrett

glenn jarrett pfm Member

sorry to butt in guys
    but im looking to buy a pi to build a wireless streamer
    i the pi 4 looks like the best choice but is it compatible with all pi hat dacs ?
    or would the 3 B be better ?

17. tomek

tomek pfm Member

Go for Pi 4 ( and usb dac ?) , forget 3B. Hifiberry hat dacs are working well wit Pi4, can't say about others. Good power supply is important.

18. glenn jarrett

glenn jarrett pfm Member

Thanks Tomek
    what about ram 2 or 4 gig ?

19. misterdog

misterdog Not the canine kind

I have read that there is more electrical noise on the 4 due to the greater processing, there is certainly more heat from it. I bought a 4 because it has the issue of the shared USB/ethernet bus solved. I couldn't detect any difference in SQ though.

I then moved to Allo USBridge which is definitely a step up but also in price.

Though I have a dedicated 1TB USB SSD connected directly, so not streaming through the ether, or trying to upsample to crazy DSD, so the processor is not stressed.

Last edited: May 5, 2020
  20. glenn jarrett

glenn jarrett pfm Member

Hi guys where is the best place to buy a tone board ?
    and is the gpio compatible with a raspberry pi 4 if i used a header extender ?
    or would usb be better ?