1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Kobe Bryant RIP

Discussion in 'off topic' started by rough edges, Jan 26, 2020.

1. rough edges

rough edges pfm Member

Truly sad news. A helicopter crash of all things. He was such an amazing talent, and he displayed true humanity through his connection with his fans. His 13 yr old daughter died as well. Sad day indeed...

sean99 likes this.
  2. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

Helicopters. Not for me.
    Very sad. RIP.

vuk and matt j like this.
  3. matt j

matt j pfm Member

I was going to say the same thing, I know there's probably a whole load of statistics about them being perfectly safe but they seem to fall out of the sky an awful lot. I wouldn't get on one unless absolutely necessary.

RIP.

Weekender likes this.
  4. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

RIP. I have been on a helicopter once, the experience oscilated between "this is amazing" to "get me off this thing" every 10 seconds or so.

5. TimF

TimF pfm Member

RIP Kobe and Gigi.

6. Mullardman

Mullardman Moderately extreme...

Dreadful. RIP all.

7. Tarzan

Tarzan pfm Member

RIP Kobe and all those on board.

8. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

The statistics say that helicopters are about 10x more dangerous than light fixed wing aircraft. Too many single failure parts resulting in a serious crash

9. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

I’m sorry for the family, but I’m not sure it warranted being the lead item on the BBC 10pm news. If

10. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

Never heard of him

Snufkin and Roger Adams like this.
  11. Roger Adams

Roger Adams pfm Member

Now if it was Geoffrey Boycott I could understand the hullaballoo in the national media - not that our Geoffrey would ever get in one of those new fangled whirly things.

Sad when anyone dies in an accident - particularly a child of just 13.

gavreid likes this.
  12. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

Neither had I.

13. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

Not unless someone else was paying.

Roger Adams likes this.
  14. eternumviti

eternumviti Bloviating Brexiter

I'd not heard of him either, but it materialises that he was a great and much admired sportsman. It turns out that a friend knew him, he was a great supporter of young people in baseball, and that he had tutored her great niece.

15. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

Sad as it is it's American news, not a piece for the top headline in the UK.

16. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

17. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

sq225917 likes this.
  18. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Like others I didn't know him but I doubt the death of an England cricketer would be reported in USA front page news. Sad, because apparently he was very much a role model and increased sports participation etc. However just as sad is the fact that his daughter had one of her friends and her parent along and they were going to play in the same basketball tournament. Nobody is talking about them, they are just "7 others".

Snufkin likes this.
  19. deanf

deanf pfm Member

Tonight's lead story on the BBC: Lots of middle aged, middle class white folk had never heard of Kobe Bryant.

But it'll be fine, next week Panorama are doing a special from the Amaechi Centre where loads of working class black kids will be saying how much he gave them hope and inspiration.

RIP Kobe.

20. eternumviti

eternumviti Bloviating Brexiter

In fairness, I think they are.