1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Labour to abolish independent schools?

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Steven Toy, Oct 31, 2019.

?

Should we abolish independent schools in the UK?

1. Yes

20 vote(s)
    24.7%
  2. No

57 vote(s)
    70.4%
  3. Undecided

4 vote(s)
    4.9%
  1. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Mate of the bloke

'A self-ordained professor's tongue
    Too serious to fool
    Spouted out that liberty
    Is just equality in school
    Equality I spoke the word
    As if a wedding vow
    But I was so much older then
    I'm younger than that now'

2. Jim Audiomisc

Jim Audiomisc pfm Member

Well, the main school 'playground' was on the roof, with railings. You can deduce from this that we didn't really play cricket. The teacher kept the ball in his desk, or walked around the class with it in his pocket.

3. eternumviti

eternumviti pfm Member

Who is discriminating?

I guess prospective employers might discriminate in favour of better educated and therefore more suitable employees. I would.

4. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

I didn’t ask ‘who’.

5. eternumviti

eternumviti pfm Member

No, I did.

6. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

Why?

7. dweezil

dweezil pfm Member

One slight worry with his workers participation is how to cope with losses, we have years where we can lose substantial amounts. OK for us as we can extend the overdraft but for some of our employees living week to week that wouldn't be easy.

8. eternumviti

eternumviti pfm Member

How do you imagine you will achieve 'equality', or stop people from discriminating in favour of the best/most suitable?

9. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

Dunno. But removing discrimination might be a good place to start.

Snufkin likes this.
  10. eternumviti

eternumviti pfm Member

The only practical interpretation of that that I can envisage is the well-tried Labour one of abolishing excellence and dragging everyone down to the lowest common denominator. You'll end up with the brighter kids getting bored and going bad, and commerce and industry hiring bright, hard-working Asian, European and American people who have received decent educations. It's that old chestnut of having races on sports day in which no child is permitted either to win or come last. It is utterly anti-anthropological bullshit.

11. Rockmeister

Rockmeister pfm Member

Lack of discrimination might be that same sports day, but open to every kid in the town of a suitable age, to enter as they wish, or not, and, in the 5 years before the day, every child was allowed to go to the same training sessions and get the same coaching.
    Sound familiar? It's a comprehensive system and it would work too if only the Schools and the D of E understood that at some point, at a different point for every child in fact, that norm, the average training open to all, ceases to be good enough because some want to drop out / some to change to a new 'sport' / and some, to pull away more rapidly.
    Provide for that, and you have a proper system based on an even start and a diverse (not better, or worse) ending.
    And ta da, guess which Schools not only allow for, but encourage that approach?

Sue Pertwee-Tyr likes this.
  12. Jim Audiomisc

Jim Audiomisc pfm Member

The reality that we can't achieve perfection doesn't mean we can't seek to improve the situation. And a part of the current problems is that discrimination is sometimes used to give preference to those who are (and that which is) NOT actually 'the best' in terms of actual performance. But instead are chosen by a 'badge' which has been gained by other means.

So the *basis* of any 'discrimination' matters.

Covkxw likes this.
  13. Jim Audiomisc

Jim Audiomisc pfm Member

Yes, people often "envisage" such things rather than look at the real aims, etc.

My 'straw man detector light' flashed when I read your comment. Perhaps the scope of your ability to "envisage" needs widening a little. :)

Sue Pertwee-Tyr, ks.234 and ff1d1l like this.
  14. eternumviti

eternumviti pfm Member

I'll stick with the extensive empirical evidence. No straw men there, just men of straw, a bunch of humourless 1970s trotsky throwbacks. That only ever goes one way.

15. Mullardman

Mullardman Moderately extreme...

Yep.....

If only it were true..

But then that rarely bothers you.

Covkxw likes this.
  16. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

Exactly.
    I’ve never read such media fed shite as he consistently vomits into this forum.

17. eternumviti

eternumviti pfm Member

Morning Bob.

18. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

Nonsense. Labour has not tried to abolish excellence or bring everyone down to the lowest common denominator. Your ideas of excellence appear to be enshrined in institutions of privilege and inherited advantage.

If an education system is not designed for everyone, it's not fit for purpose.

If 'excellence' is forbidden to those who cant afford it, it's morally repugnant

Mullardman, Covkxw, gavreid and 2 others like this.
  19. cooky1257

cooky1257 pfm Member

Seems someone is a tad crippled in the envisioning department-if only you'd gone to private school just imagine how enlightened your contributions would be...

ks.234 likes this.
  20. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Mate of the bloke

I was bright but very lazy. That's grammar schools for you!

Gaycha likes this.