1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Last orders please!

Discussion in 'off topic' started by pete the bus, Mar 20, 2020.

1. Rob998

Rob998 Scimmia Nordoccidentale

2. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

Vodka. Probably cheaper than IPA at the moment. Failing that cheapo mouthwash with CPC all over your mitts.

Paulicus likes this.
  3. ff1d1l

ff1d1l pfm Member

Vodka isn't strong enough. Needs to be 60 percent (when made up, as well) which is different to proof.

Paulicus likes this.
  4. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

we've been round that loop before. I've got a bottle of Strane Gin, 76%

5. MVV

MVV pfm Member

6. gintonic

found 500ml in the garage from the record cleaning......cancelled the ebay order. He refunded immediately......

ff1d1l and Rob998 like this.
  7. TheDecameron

Ive raided the sump in the record cleaning machine. I’m going around smelling of 70s vinyl now.

Rob998, paulfromcamden and ff1d1l like this.
  8. pete the bus

pete the bus pfm Member

I've had a go at making some sanitiser using 99% IPA, Aloe Vera gel and some essential oil.
    It hasn't worked out very well. The gel hasn't mixed and just formed into a gelatinous lump at the bottom. I then tried to blend it but now its just turned the gel into tiny lumps which have either settled at the bottom, or floated to the top. I'm not sure what I've done wrong, but maybe the type of gel makes a difference.

9. tqineil

tqineil pfm Member

probably need more water, Aloe Vera isn't soluble in IPA, suggest try 70% IPA 25%water and Aloe Vera to make up?

Rob998 likes this.
  10. NeilR

NeilR pfm Member

add some water!

Rob998 likes this.
  11. Rob998

Rob998 Scimmia Nordoccidentale

I made some, 75% ipa, a few squirts of hand soap (but any soapy stuff would do, like washing up liquid) to help break down the lipid layer, and topped up with distilled water.

Put into an atomiser spray and give it a good shake. It’s not a gel, but it works.

12. pete the bus

pete the bus pfm Member

Ah, ok. I was following a recipe that didn't mention water.
    I'll give it a go, thanks.

13. NeilR

NeilR pfm Member

It depends what the gel is, but presumably the aloe vera was extracted by mashing it up with water. so anything that was extracted from it would be highly water soluble. Therefore you need some water in your mixture otherwise the aloe vera extract might not solubilise. Not too much though, 25% sounds about right as per the other suggestions.

14. TheDecameron

The hardware shop in town was selling tiny bottles of ‘hand gel’ at £3 and slightly less tiny at £6. No labelling, so could be ineffective and/ or harmful. lots of money to be made.

15. gintonic

thats cheap ours was £4.50

16. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr Staying alert

I've started plunging my hands into boiling bleach whenever I come back into the house. So far, no coronavirus, bu t it'';s g eti ng a it iffficilt t o typp-ppe

TheDecameron and bob like this.
  17. pete the bus

pete the bus pfm Member

Rob998 likes this.
  18. eternumviti

eternumviti Bloviating Brexiter

My old dad used to say that heating bleach up killed it, so you should be OK.

19. russel

russel ./_dazed_and_confused

I guess you could use windscreen washer, that’s mainly ethanol, cheap and available.