1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Learning to Juggle aged 52

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Bjork67, Mar 28, 2020.

1. Big Tabs

Big Tabs hearing problems

Here is the longer version with commentary which at best is poor.

2. Bjork67

Bjork67 pfm Member

Improved my mood cheers, now to practice with Terry towelling socks.

3. Big Tabs

mmm, juggling has a lot to do with the weight of whatever you are trying to juggle.

Rolled up socks will work, but hard because they are light. Try oranges!

Ideally, you need something like the weight of an orange, but nothing so hard that it has no 'give'

Even onions would be better than socks!

4. Marchbanks

Marchbanks Hat and Beard member

Managed to get to thirty throws with three pairs of balled-up socks. Yes, not the easiest things to use but better than my previous choice, three La Pavoni filter baskets (pretentious old git.) Anyway, that will do for reliving old glories.

5. Candylion

Candylion Active Member

Nice, almost got a few tricks there, the box, nearly, mills mess started etc...

Big Tabs likes this.
  6. Big Tabs

It doesn't help that I was sat down. ( and there was probably alcohol involved if I filmed it) Thanks for putting the names of the tricks, I am bad at naming any.

Candylion likes this.
  7. Candylion

Candylion Active Member

Loads of tricks done, many half tricks.
    I used to teach Juggling , from international circus festivals to juggling shops, workshops, circus schools etc.
    Very popular early to late 90s.

I used to practice 8hrs a day min, though it never felt like practice, more fun especially when done with mates.
    I became very technical, not just about everything was mm perfect in height etc. Unfortunately only other Jugglers got the technical stuff.
    When performing to non jugglers never do the technical stuff as people couldn't relate to it. They couldn't explain what they seen to friends. Especially when doing blackout UV shows.
    So for non Jugglers, I like others would just do the standard cascade pattern, but with say a large knife, apple and an egg. Trying to eat the apple, with the danger stroke comedy of the knife and egg, or onion if using.
    Seems like a lifetime ago now. I toured with several modern type circuses as a knife thrower / juggler ( aswell as the usual other stuff you do with the circus, non performing jobs).
    Great times, after the last tour I went back to working in the music business, different, but still tour bus tape measure fun .
    Top tip number 12
    Whilst sleeping on a tour bus always take a tape measure to bed.
    That way if someone is snoring on an opposite bunk especially a lower bunk, then just pull.out the tape , prod them , then retract tape. No need to get up to give them a shut the hell up poke....

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
    Big Tabs likes this.
  8. Del monaco

Del monaco Del Monaco

When are you going to try blades and please don’t do a video when you do.

9. jtrade

jtrade pfm Member

Thanks for this thread, which has reminded me to find my juggling bags - it's supposed to be a great activity for maintaining / preserving neural pathways as we get older, along with drumming (I just today collected a Yamaha DT402K electronic set, which comes with a great learning app & can of course be played through headphones) & learning a new language (I'm considering Japanese or Arabic !).