1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Leaving Vintage gear switched on?

Discussion in 'classic' started by retrospective, Mar 27, 2020.

1. retrospective

retrospective pfm Member

Your thoughts?

I have a particular amp that requires a bit of a warm up it could be a dry joint,iffy switch,dicky relay..after 5 minutes warm up it'll play fine all day and all night.

Should i just leave it switched on?

2. AudioAl

AudioAl pfm Member

NO !!! , get it serviced , after decades things do go wrong inside ( Fire hazard )

3. awkwardbydesign

awkwardbydesign Officially Awesome

I have valve amps that need a longer warm up than that as normal.

4. linnfomaniac83

linnfomaniac83 I bet you can’t wheelie a unicycle!

If it’s taking five minutes before the relay engages, there could be a DC offset issue which settles as it warms up, or a fault in the protection circuit itself, either way, it needs attention and I’d get it sorted before continuing to use it, it’s symptomatic of worn out parts, capacitors are the most common thing to wear out with age but other parts can get flakey too, I’ve replaced a lot of small transistors in kit from early 70s to early 80s. Trimmer pots which set the bias and dc offset can become very flakey with age too and often need to be cleaned or replaced.

5. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

As others have said just get it fixed so it is working as intended. If something is ‘off’ that takes an age to come ‘on’ then there is a chance it will fail more catastrophically and do some real damage. Vintage kit is wonderful, but I’m a firm believer of really getting is sorted as some parts in some kit are very hard to come by these days, so you really don’t want that rare transistor or whatever to fail because some crappy old electrolytic cap is way off spec.

6. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

You could well find that the short circuit protection no longer works the expensive way.
    New transistors and speaker drivers time

7. Martyn Miles

Martyn Miles pfm Member

Why leave any amplifier switched on ?
    Five minutes to ‘warm up’ is all you need, then switch off when you’ve finished.

booja30 and Arkless Electronics like this.