1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Led Zeppelin Nerdery....

Discussion in 'music' started by spet0114, Aug 28, 2007.

1. spet0114

spet0114 REMPI Member

A few years ago, I was browsing in a record shop in Oxford and found an early copy of Led Zep 1 (with the earlier catalogue number and red/purple label).

Yesterday, I thought i'd do a little research into this disc, and immediately became confused with a world of arcane terms - corrected masters, uncorrected masters, superhype credits, turquoise lettering etc. It fairly did my head in.

Does anyone know of a website or even a book that gives a clear chronology of the various issues of this record that have happened over the years? Most of the Led Zep sites don't seem to bother with such pedantry.

Cheers

Adrian

2. The Captain

The Captain ~~~~~~~~~~

The Great Rock Discography by Martin C Strong is pure nerdery- if that don't have an answer Im a dutchman..

3. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I don't know of any site, though if you find one please let me know as I have a very unusual copy of IV! The main clue with all of them is the matrix number stamped in the run-off - on the early Polydor pressed red / plumb pressings you will find a number with //Ax or //Bx somewhere around the middle, as an example my LZ IV is:

A side: 2401012 //A3 1 I 3

B side: 2401012 //B3 1 I 3

The first part is the catalogue number, the //x is the pressing number, i.e. a 3rd pressing in this case, and the following numbers relate to mothers, stampers etc (we don't care about them). The nearer to //1 you are the more valuable the record is (in almost all cases).

The really collectable LZ 1 is the very first issue which has 'Led Zeppelin' written in turquoise rather than orange on the front cover. These are worth 500 quid plus. These should have //A1 //B1 matrixes, if not it is probably a cut 'n' shut made out of two copies.

The credits are bewilderingly complex, and it is this that makes my LZ IV interesting - it has had them 'changed', i.e. it has factory applied stickers with the new credits stuck over the original label.

Tony.

4. charliem

charliem pfm Member

Fascinating stuff.

The Record Collector Price Guide is generally good at identifying which pressings are more valuable.

Charlie

5. foxwelljsly

foxwelljsly Keep Music Vile

6. Stuart Frazer

Stuart Frazer pfm Member

What about the Satanic verses when Stairway to Heaven is played backwards? I heard this on the DVD Documentary presented by Tommy Vance and it does sound like Saton etc.

Eeery stuff. I'm sure the band had no ill intensions though.

Stuart

7. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

Yep, Tommy Vance did indeed sound like Satan.

8. Milan

Milan pfm Member

I have a book called "Led Zeppelin - a Celebration" by Dave Lewis ISBN 0-7119-2416-3. It lists an official discography and a bootleg discography! Also it lists most of the solo ventures.

1 originally came out in March 69 with the Turquoise lettering it was then re issued with the same number Atlantic 588 171. There was a subsequent re issue in 72 as Atlantic K40031.

Enough nerdiness for one day!

9. jaf229

jaf229 pfm Member

Milan, where can i can my hands on that book?

10. Milan

Milan pfm Member

jaf229,

I got it as a present. If you use the ISBN 0-7119-2416-3 you may be able to order it from Waterstones or Borders.

11. RichardH

RichardH Bodging pleb

12. jaf229

jaf229 pfm Member

thank you both...order placed

13. rod

rod beach bum

14. Jim

Jim pfm Member

Noticed they were called The Led Zeppelin, like The Beatles, The Kinks etc. Jim

15. smegger68

smegger68 Mango Enthusiast

To quote Bill Hicks - "If you are sitting there playing records backwards - you ARE the Devil".

16. prowla

prowla pfm Member

I've got a turquise lettering Led Zep I. One went on ebay for a few hundred squids a couple of years ago.

17. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I'd estimate somewhere between 500 quid and £1k for a tidy copy these days - a very, very rare and collectable record.

Tony.

18. prowla

prowla pfm Member

Hmmm - mine's in the loft, along with my LP12...

19. prowla

prowla pfm Member

I found a link to the Led Zep I on ebay - went for £963.80!

20. spet0114

spet0114 REMPI Member

Looks like I should get out my turquoise paint! :)