1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Less Boxes, Same Quality ?

Discussion in 'audio' started by musiclover, May 19, 2019.

1. Jamie

Jamie pfm Member

I was amazed it took so long.

2. duckworp

duckworp pfm Member

I moved from a 6 box Naim (552/300/CDS3) to a 2 box Vitus. Box count is fewer and the sound quality is better (yet the music is still presented in a style Naim fans will appreciate).

52 and supercap will net you at least £2k
    2 x 135 must be another £1k

A second hand Vitus RI-100 (integrated amp) is around £5k, maybe less, so it would be a net cost of maximum £2k to reduce the box count by 3 (and no sound quality compromises, quite the opposite from my demoing, though I was running a 552/300 rather than 52/ 2x135).

If you have a Naim XPS powering your CD Player you could sell that and buy a new Teddy Pardo power supply for the same cash, which is less than a third of the size and sounds just as good (it is a slightly different presentation but many prefer it). Or sell the CDS2 and buy a one-box s/h Rega CD player which are good value and sound excellent. The one-box Vitus CD player (RCD) is also very good but is rarer and tends to command higher prices.

3. DavidS

DavidS pfm Member

With Naim it was always the next upgrade that would take you to audio nirvana , never did for me so I changed brands.

4. Taff63

Taff63 pfm Member

Sell the Naim.
    Buy a second-hand Pioneer A27.
    Get the A27 re-capped.
    Job done.

5. Tigerjones

Tigerjones Bagpuss

Sexy.

6. Mr Underhill

Mr Underhill pfm Member

Hi Musiclover,