1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Linear PSU for NAS & Router

Discussion in 'audio' started by Cereal Killer, Sep 13, 2018.

1. adamdea

adamdea pfm Member

Not if “worst offenders” are identified by vague assumption and they are replaced by products which are only vaguely assumed to perform better.
    Especially if not CE certified.

2. Cereal Killer

Cereal Killer fourhundredandthirtytwo

So much neurosis and self disbelief - what’s so difficult to comprehend? It’s made a very positive difference ..... and what’s a CE certificate outside the U.K.? Is the rest of the world going to burn down... ?

3. Whatsisnaim

Whatsisnaim pfm Member

I am not advocating retail therapy as a solution (or DIY unless you really understand how to do it safely), and I wouldn't suggest changing anything that isn't noisy. There are plenty of SMPS out there that are well designed and not noisy at all, and a whole lot more that are bad.

4. adamdea

adamdea pfm Member

There’s an interesting thread on computer audiophile where various eBay Lpsus are measured with predictable results.

5. Cereal Killer

My ears hear much better than my eyes do... ;-)

My eyes read a temp of 39c and Volts are 12.0 DC

The Chronicals likes this.
  6. notevenclose

notevenclose pfm Member

Really? Probably assembled by a 7 year old girl whose principal tool is a teaspoon.

7. Cereal Killer

You recon, that doesn't sound like a preconceived derogative based superiority complex at all

The Chronicals likes this.
  8. notevenclose

notevenclose pfm Member

I'll have to look that up and get back to you.

9. Sonci

Sonci pfm Member

Are you using video streaming with the Nas? Do movies look better?

indus likes this.
  10. Cereal Killer

Yes i have it split into 3 shared folders, M:Music, V:Videos and 1 for P:pics
    Can't say the pics sound any better, no..... then again my music doesn't look and different either

11. Marky-Mark

Marky-Mark pfm Member

I'm going to try one. If it shaves :20 from my fap time it's money well spent.

joe9407 likes this.
  12. Cereal Killer

13. JensenHealey

JensenHealey pfm Member

You had better look it up. Urban Dictionary might help - not safe for work though...

14. Yomanze

Yomanze pfm Member

What I find difficult to believe is on one hand, you are supposed to have an Audionet amp that is totally immune to any switching / digital nasties, yet an improvement has been heard. Without a doubt the new PSU is not improving the signal, but it will be reducing switching noise into the mains. How audible this might be would be extremely system and mains dependent.

15. Cereal Killer

Like i mentioned in my USB cable thread, the SMPS was chirping away.... has been for a few months now...

16. Cereal Killer

What makes you so sure the SMPS nasties where not entering the 5V rail in the USB output on the NAS thus going to the DAC>analog out?

17. Cereal Killer

I see, there's some skill involved then, as MM wants to be speed things up maybe some blue pills may help him.

18. Cereal Killer

Anyhow, the point of this little gamble was to see if an LPSU makes a difference to a server, which it absolutely does. Now it's time to investigate further....

19. Yomanze

Yomanze pfm Member

Yes, a potential issue, which is why I interrupt my +5V rail with a dedicated linear supply, however, I don't think your unit is self-powered, like my USB to SPDIF converter is, so +5V shouldn't even be connected?

20. Cereal Killer

Who knows!! :) I've not got one of those USB cables, my QED USB A to Mini B Performance Cable is USB 2.0 certified.