1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Lingo 4 motor noise

Discussion in 'audio' started by hifiaf, Feb 2, 2020.

1. Wolfmancatsup

Wolfmancatsup Empire State Human

There’s an app I used with my iPhone last year. Didn’t involve putting it on the platter - I had to print out a strobe disc and point the phone’s light at it. Can’t recall what it was now though, unfortunately. I’ll see if I can find out.

EDIT: Ah-ha!

http://crushapps.com/truenote/

Mick

hifiaf and nobeone like this.
  2. YNWOAN

YNWOAN 100% Analogue

I don’t know if Linn still make it but they used to do a very accurate strobe disc and accompanying strobe. At the time this was a dealer item but perhaps it has become available to the public...

edit: A bit of Google searching later and I see Cymbiosis (and I assume others) sell Linn’s strobe disc. However, you will also need a 300Hz strobe to go with it - small LED items are a available from a number of eBay sellers.

hifiaf likes this.
  3. Charlie_1

Charlie_1 pfm Member

I thought the Lingo 4 and Radikal speed control (using marker on platter) was designed to counteract broad speed drift over time, not micro speed instability that's happening every few seconds, or sub-second. This was discussed on the forum a few months ago and I forget the correct terminology of these things.

4. nobeone

nobeone pfm Member

I would assume that is true, rapid big changes in speed would surely be a bad idea, equally if you have to wait one rev to even see what the speed is you have to wait longer compared to measuring it more frequently. How does the Radikal measure speed does anybody know? Is that a once per rev too?

5. Charlie_1

Charlie_1 pfm Member

Yep, a small black sticky tab is added to the inside rim of the outer platter.

6. YNWOAN

YNWOAN 100% Analogue

Yes, once per rev.

The actual sensing equipment, and method, appears to be the same with the Lingo 4 and the Radikal.