1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Linn LP12, Akito - Adikt or Music Maker MKIII is a false choice of two?

Discussion in 'audio' started by Alexander454, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Klyde

Klyde pfm Member

My vote for Adikt. It's a super cart that works very well in your Akito. Goldring 1042 is a bit heavy in the bass in comparison. I've used both.

2. Alexander454

Alexander454 Member

So, was unsure, now unhappy :)
    Got the Lp12, half-dead, made the jig, completely disassembled, renewed re-adjusted some parts. Put together, with Shure M97eX - bass sounds like bass reflex speakers, lot of hummm, but no control, no attack. Trebble is also questionable.
    Tried tracking force 1,26-1,5 at 1,5 even worse.
    Will see if I can localize the prob...

3. Harry1212

Harry1212 pfm Member

Goldring Eroica Lo - cheap, fun way into MC's . . .

Fixing LP12's - Logic & Patience!

Best of Luck,

Cheers, Harry

;) :( :)

4. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

I don't recommend getting hit by a car prior to having a go at fitting a cartridge. It's almost certainly easier without. Sorry to hear that you are not entirely happy, the M97 *should* be very good at the price., so if you have a problem it's unlikely to be purely down the that. Your LP12/Akito should sound very goof indeed with this kind of cart.

5. Alexander454

Alexander454 Member

The world would be better if we could ride motorcycles all year around everywhere. Did not hear about anyone hit by bike.
    I beleive the cartridge is in place. It meets both null points, same as the grid inbetween on a linn protractor. VTA is also ok, tracking force dial re-checked with a digital gauge at the record level, confirmed by .01 gramm. It may still have issues with the total masss to compliance ratio. At least, low freq cones are getting to the wave-like resonans, pumping at about 6-7 Hz (did not measure yet with a test record), which seems to be too low. But the kick-drum, where it should be present, is not really moving things, and the snare is missing it's attack, sounding like it's being reproduced by a cheap vented BR enclosure. The whole sound is like it's put under thin blanket. A simple Macbook audio out to the same amp is ways clearer and more energy full.
    Everything is missing tightness.
    I use a strange DIY phono cable made of 47labs leads, it's receiving a noticeable humm on the ground wire, pucking it into phono stage. maybe it affects a little. Will change it anyway because of noise it catches.
    The armboard is also not virgin anymore, misused by pre-owners, overtightened arm-collar, with washers deeply intruding board's body. The subchassis to armboard mounting screws would also be happier in the tighter openings :)
    But this will be handled together with tonearm upgrade, if i beleive in vinyl as such.
    Can this source be very acurate at low frequencies? Is this "vented box" sound something belonging to the "soft and comfy" sign of true analogue record? :confused:

6. Howdy

Howdy pfm Member

No. Could be faulty power supply.

7. Alexander454

Alexander454 Member

Will the Akito with it's effective mass of 10g keep the 18th compliance of eroica at the ground? I think the sh..y result with m97 is a sign on non-cartridge-based problem. I mean, sound from "lp12 akito shure" should be at least at the level of the onboard macbook DAC...
    Or is it only MM/MC issue?

8. Alexander454

Alexander454 Member

TT or PHono stage?

9. Alexander454

Alexander454 Member

Don't throw hard objects on me please, but: was it wise to use tiny thin plastic washers supplied in the bolt-nut set for the cartridge mount, both sides? Not between shell and cartridge. Bolt to cart and nut to shell...

10. Howdy

Howdy pfm Member

TT. There are some known issues with old Valhalla boards. Plastic washers wouldn't make huge difference.

11. Alexander454

Alexander454 Member

And yes, the Akito is so user friendly for fitting third party cartridge with short leads :)

12. Alexander454

Alexander454 Member

Thanks! Will check this. But so badly? Is there that much braking force from the stylus?

13. Harry1212

Harry1212 pfm Member

All I wanted to say is that I have a Goldring Eroica Lo as a spare for my Troika & it's very good.

You need a decent power supply for your deck; either fix the Valhalla, get a Heed, or even better search "Naim Armageddon Clone {essentially a trasformer in a box} & make one of them.

Have Fun,

Cheers, Harry

:)

14. Alexander454

Alexander454 Member

Thanks, Harry, carefully noted for the times of MC and better arm.
    Alex

15. kg648

kg648 pfm Member

Neither, go for Dynavector 10x5!