1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Liquid soap

Discussion in 'off topic' started by mik_rik, Mar 26, 2020 at 11:16 AM.

1. mik_rik

mik_rik pfm Member

Apparently soap is effective against this virus.Before starting a dirty job,I always apply liquid soap to dry hands as a sort of barrier ,made cleaning much easier.Could be just as effective as hand sanitiser,worth a try , Mick

2. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

This will make a mess of your skin. If you want to do this, there are Swarfega-type hand cleaners that need no rinsing and that can be bought in DIY stores /Car parts places/ Screwfix etc. Use as directed, wipe off on a rag, job done. Skin kind too.

Your method will work fine in an emergency though. Just rinse it off when you get the opportunity.

Darren and ks.234 like this.
  3. timH

timH Senior Moment Member

COVID has an outer fat layer (so I believe) hence soap is a good cleaner. Many household cleaners contain non ionic surfactants which makes them good at breaking up fats and oils - so again good cleaners. All these cleaners will also dry up skin so keep hand lotion nearby. As an aside when I was a kid we used soap to clean our hair and even washing up liquid at a push

wiresandmore and Big Tabs like this.
  4. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Correct. I think formally speaking it's a protein-fat complex but I won't split hairs. As you say anything that attacks fat will kill it. Soap, shampoo, washing up liquid, laundry powder, alcohol, they all work. Just keep on washing.

5. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

I used washing up liquid as a shampoo for years as a yoof. I've never used shampoo for washing up, though.

Darren likes this.
  6. PaulMB

PaulMB pfm Member

I suspect most shampoos are just liquid soap/detergent with a scent and colouring added and some imaginative writing on the bottle. My wife once bought one that said it contained "silk molecules," the idea being it would make your hair silky. I've used soap in a bar to wash my hair for the past 25 years and it looks gorgeous.
    Regarding The Virus, I wonder if diluted ammonia would work, since it de-greases very effectively, e.g window and windscreen cleaners which are basically ammonia, I think...

7. timH

timH Senior Moment Member

I’ve got some orange swarfega that might work. It’s got micro balls in it and citrus extract. Grease doesn’t stand a chance

8. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

9. deanf

deanf pfm Member

Hairy liquid?

10. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

Even though I went bald twenty years ago I've still got my favourite comb. I just can't part with it !

Darren, sean99, TheDecameron and 3 others like this.
  11. Dozey

Dozey Air guitar member

The use of silk has its origins in trademark law. The Sunsilk trademark was objected to as it was deceptive if it did not contain any silk. Of course if it did contain silk the mark would be descriptive, but they managed to argue it was not purely descriptive.

12. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Yes they are. I know this via a friend in NPD for Unilever (L'Oreal). Shampoo, hand gel, shower gel, all basically the same base mix, same set of chemicals, add fun stuff to taste. Generic own label shampoo works.
    Yes it would. Different chemical means. Ammonia is hugely reactive, that's why it's so toxic. Bleach works the same way. They are both very alkaline and that takes organic molecules to bits, thus killing stuff. It's academic though, when boring old soap and water works perfectly.

Yes, but see above. Why would you want to? I can take a Sherman tank to the shops, but a car is a damn sight better for that job.

That's interesting. We have similar things in food labelling. Milk, cream, and so on are protected and the food has to contain the actual dairy material. The getout is if there is historical precedent, so salad cream contains no cream, never has, but people have been eating it (ugh, but takes all sorts) for decades and that's what it's called. Likewise soya "milk" etc. The manufacturers of elderflower champagne tried this one, we all know there is no champagne in it, but the champagne houses had better lawyers and more money so they now have to call it "elderflower sparkle" or similar.

Darren and sean99 like this.
  13. Caledon1297

Caledon1297 pfm Member

Is Benzalkonium Chloride effective against Covid-19?

14. sean99

sean99 pfm Member

Caledon1297 likes this.
  15. Darren

Darren All Business

Ahem... small confession.... For one winter I found myself washing from a bowl using a kettle of water and some shower gel. Once dry I would add my pots to the bowl and wash up in the still warm , soapy water. It worked very well.

16. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Yes. It's a quat, it kills viruses the same as the other quats that are commonly used in sanitisers (CPC and DDAC).

Caledon1297 likes this.
  17. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

Thought that was the stuff they smoke (and chew?) in the Horn of Africa and thereabouts.