1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Live mobile video of Homs shelling by Syrian Gov forces

Discussion in 'off topic' started by john.luckins, Feb 6, 2012.

1. john.luckins

john.luckins pfm Member

I noticed that one of the video feeds on BBC News 24 was from a site called Bambuser.com and gave it a visit. There is quite incredible delayed live footage of the skyline and closeups of the city streamed from numerous mobile phones. You can hear the Arabic comments of the families and individuals near the phones and the cries of "God is Great" out of fear whenever a shell hits and booms out over the city. Intensely personal and horrific stuff that anyone can view, even the Russian and Chinese people (if they can get round censorship). From the little Arabic I can uderstand it is clear the residents are aware that the Chinese and Russians have in effect suported the regimes actions and that Assad is utterly discredited amongst these peoples.

To take a look yourself go to www.Bambuser.com and click on Broadcasts (you don't need to join) and scroll through the screenshots for the Syrian ones. There are probably other sites providing similar live services.

John

2. john.luckins

john.luckins pfm Member

3. auric

auric pfm Member

Nothing at all wrong with countries exercising their right to veto, IIRC the US did the same with Nicaragua and that ended with the US invading Nicaragua and then forcing a regime change. Don't be too quick to slag off Russia and China just because their world view differs from the view held by others.

The sooner something is put forward that all veto holders can signup to the better things may be.

4. john.luckins

john.luckins pfm Member

From the commentaries on some of these videos that is not a view shared by the people being shelled in their own homes in Homs and I think we should respect that. It is they who suffer as a result.

The Russian position has always been not to interfere with internal affairs and take sides. That implies a balanced internal struggle but doesn't work to prevent indiscriminate slaughter of the population - a war crime. The Russian and Chinese approach serves to perpetuate a war crime in this instance. If they knew about the true horror of what is going on the Russian and Chinese people would object to what is being done in their name. The great thing about this new news medium is that they can now find out - it starts to circumvent the local press censorship.

Any UN resolution that the Russian and Chinese would be prepared to sign up to would be too weak to hold Assad back in his hour of desparation but as you suggest is probably the best that can be achieved. Many believe that the Russian and Chinese governments would not want to have their hands tied in dealing with their own people were they in a similar situation to Assad in the future, and that is the motivation for their stance here. Chechnya and Tibet come to mind.

5. auric

auric pfm Member

Unfortunately the UN security council is the best we have and as the International Court of Justice and the International Criminal Court do not have commitment by all members of the UN some things can never be brought before the law and judged in open court.

The idea of a negotiated peace and an escape clause for those in power is what the world may have to settle for.

Arming the those fighting the government may be one path to follow but I felt uneasy that France proposed this action for Libya (did they do it?) in addition to the UN mandate may well cause Russia & China many bad dreams.