1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Lloyd Cole

Discussion in 'music' started by deebster, Feb 7, 2020.

1. deebster

deebster Half Man Half Biscuit

Been enjoying listening to Lloyd's latest album, Guesswork since it came out.

He's not everybody's cup of tea I know, and it still makes me chuckle how my mate Kev has absolutely detested his music since we saw him at Milton Keynes in 1986, but I think he's maintained a pretty high watermark in his 35 years and deserved a thread.

Some great lines too, and like the sadly missed Mr Cohen, much funnier than that bloke in the office would have you believe. 'I'm a cold fish, nobody's choice dish'.

Rob998, Weekender and Vinny like this.
  2. badlyread

badlyread pfm Member

He has been with me since I was 17 with Rattlesnakes and his music has just moved with the times and me.

A much underrated wordsmith for sure.

Vinny likes this.
  3. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Rattlesnakes is an absolutely superb album IMO, though for some reason I never stuck around for anything else. I just have that and a couple of the 12” singles of the time.

Tarzan likes this.
  4. deebster

Rattlesnakes passed me by at 15 but the 1985 singles didn't. I guess you often initially favour the first album you hear and Easy Pieces was that for me, but in the end it was no contest.

Something he said on stage in '86 has puzzled me to this day. He walks on and says something like, 'There's a discus and javelin competition going on over there, but there are no prizes'.

5. deebster

Give that tab-dinged Love Story CD you've got a spin. Some nice fresh stuff on there :)

Tony L likes this.
  6. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

Thanks for the reminder - definitely on over the weekend - a reminder here is as good as one of those "jeez I'd forgotten this" moments as you flick along the rack.

7. Gaycha

Gaycha pfm Member

“Don’t Get Weird on Me Baby “
    Is a wonderful LP.

Do check it out if you are spinning som lc

Woodface, bobovox and deebster like this.
  8. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

Rattlesnakes yes.
    Mainstream.
    For no good reason these opening couplets have always stayed with me:

Walkin in the pouring rain
    Walking with Jesus and Jane
    Jane was in her turtleneck
    I was much happier then.

And

Life begins at thirty
    So I have been told
    I can easily believe it
    The way I'm getting on

9. Tarzan

Tarzan pfm Member

'Rattlesnakes' is a classic LP.:)

10. manicatel

manicatel pfm Member

Another LC fan here.
    Loved the Commotions albums, even if Easy Pieces was a bit more produced than Rattlesnakes.
    Of his later stuff, his Eponymous LP, as well as Don't get weird on me babe are really well produced, open recordings with some excellent tracks. I recently bought his Standards LP which is also good.

11. Operajulian

Operajulian Opera Julian

Gaycha and deebster like this.
  12. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Waiting for the streetcar..

Didn't he do some instrumental stuff?

13. deebster

Nice link that, thanks. A lot of the solo rarities are on Cleaning out the Ashtrays, a box set that came out a few years back and has some favourite tracks that got relegated to B sides, when they eclipsed plenty of the album stuff IMO.

Will have dig around on there as I spotted Love & Money as a recent addition. Another favourite band whose non-album tracks I often prefer.

Gaycha likes this.
  14. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

He’s a really good artist, stayed with me since schooldays. Worth listening to his interview with Pete Paphides on his ‘Long player’ blog. I have posted about this before so should be a thread on it somewhere.

15. puddlesplasher

puddlesplasher pfm Member

I got into Loyd Cole from the beginning with Don't Get Weird on Me Babe being in my top ten albums. Saw him in Vancouver in 90/91 If memory serves me well. He was good live.

16. deebster

It's nice to see DGWOMB get so many mentions. It's one of my favourites too (love the Sinatra-esque sound and strings) and also introduced me to Matthew Sweet.

IIRC it really didn't sell very well though.

17. early

early pfm Member

I'm a big fan , "Mainstream" is my go to album and in my opinion is massively underrated .

Seen him play a small acoustic set around twelve months back and he was superb , not just the music but the banter with the audience as well . The jokes and stories he told were worth the ticket price alone .
    If anyone gets the chance to see him play a small venue go , I guarantee you will not be disappointed .

18. Gaycha

Gaycha pfm Member

This is a great resource if you are an LC fan.
    http://www.lloydcole.com

Including -
    - Blog stuff and anecdotes from studio etc
    - From Rattlesnakes to Guesswork 2020 tour dates (UK April in Bristol, Cardiff, Exeter)
    - good on line shop with some rarities - such as:
    https://loydcole.myshopify.com/products/lloyd-will-cole-acoustic-sessions-2012

Good song, good sound.

Great recording and mastering too. For all the audiophile guff about 'accuracy' and 'as the artist intended it to sound', here is an honest account of how a great track just happened, without any real intent.

https://www.lloydcole.com/no-blue-skies-vocal-recording/

Hung out with Roedilus for some ambient stuff. Never listened to it, but am big eno fan so should check it out

https://loydcole.myshopify.com/collections/electronic-music

Seeker_UK likes this.
  19. Gaycha

Gaycha pfm Member

2020 tour dates UK in April:
    http://www.lloydcole.com/live/

20. Gaycha

Gaycha pfm Member

I couldn't get the Love and Money non-LP tracks link working...