1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Long forgotten bands - were they any good ?

Discussion in 'music' started by avole, Feb 8, 2019.

1. avole

avole The wise never post on Internet forums

I mean groups, of course, as they were known before the term bands became the norm. I'm thinking not necessarily of one hit wonders, although many seemed to be, especially if you were in the UK or the USA, where really decent songs / groups from other countries were often not released so strong were the local artists, not to mention how powerful were the giants of the music industry such as EMI . No criteria, really, other than they haven't necessarily gone down in the annals of the all-time greats and seldom get much airplay een on the nostalgia shows.

Obviously many bands, popular in their own countries, tried to make the big time, and many, like the Mentals below, had some decent hits. Often they lasted much longer than you would think, at home, if you like, rather than away.

I'll start with one of my favourites, Mental As Anything, and their anthem, 'Live It Up''. They were an Sydney band from the 1980s that had an enduring presence on the Aussie entertainment scene, and scored a big hit with this song, at home and overseas.

The question is - is it worth including this song in a list of music produced by bands long ignored but worth playing, or has time done the right thing. I think "Live it Up" is by no means a bad song, whose poppy nature probably endures. As to the group themselves, is their music worth revisiting? Very dated, sure, but, hey, we all get that way.

Love to do some kind poll on opinions of this band and others that may get mentioned, but think the only way is for people to respond and give a 'like' to the post if, well, they do indeed like the music.

gavreid likes this.
  2. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

Great idea for a thread!

I was a big fan of The Shop Assistants, an Edinburgh indie band (group) in the early 80s. Saw them a quite few times, they played a great cover of Ace of Spades live!

Mr Cat likes this.
  3. Hip-Priest

Hip-Priest Not hip. Not a priest.

My favourite band that no-one has ever heard of is Shack. Along the lines of The Las but less well known. I could bleat on about them until the cows come home. Should have been so massive but drink, drugs and a healthy dose of bad luck put paid to that. Fantastic back catalogue though, and songwriter Mick Head (up there with the best this country ever produced IMO) is currently clean and working and putting out some good music. Quasi-religious experience seeing them live if you get the chance.

4. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

We're they the Pale Fountains originally - a bit 60s?

vinylslug likes this.
  5. bigjonny

bigjonny pfm Member

Mick and John Head were in both bands.

gavreid likes this.
  6. Spiderous

Spiderous pfm Member

Mick has been releasing stuff recently, an album “Adios Senior Pussycat” only last year.

7. Andy1912

Andy1912 pfm Member

I was a punk in these days, but I loved this lot, bought this one on 12 inch but it got nicked from my flat in Inverness.

gavreid likes this.
  8. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Waiting for the streetcar..

Guided by Voices - not so much forgotten but totally ignored...

9. droodzilla

droodzilla pfm Member

I'll go with the band that "Madchester" forgot: Yargo. I saw them live several times in the late 80s and they were superb:

I was at the above concert. It was just round the corner from where I lived (a rented room in Whalley Range).

They never quite captured the live magic on record but they were clearly a hugely talented band.

Moko and Weekender like this.
  10. guey

guey pfm Member

Seconded on Yargo.
    Great records; but another level live.

droodzilla likes this.
  11. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

Bought their first L.P. will have to dig it out. Vocals a bit weak imo.

12. avole

avole The wise never post on Internet forums

As may have been noticed, after years of pop music elitism, I've latterly realised one of the reasons Aussie music wasn't so well known had everything to do with marketing, costs, etc and not a lot to do with ability, which in some ways is why I started this thread, because it was equally true that in the mid-late 80s and 90s the more obscure UK and US bands often didn't get a heap of airplay there either, and I'm still discovering them. As always, only the guaranteed money earners toured.

So, my second choice, arguably a lot better know, but again haling form the southern hemisphere, is Yothu Yindi. I was lucky enough to see pretty much the original band back in 1998, playing a free concert in the park not far from where I lived in Darwin at the time. I already knew of them, of course, but it was a magical experience.

I'd just point out, by the way, that, as with many indigenous bands, Yothu Yindi always had a fluid lineup, and some songs were written by an equally fluid chain of contributors. There's an article on Wikipedia about them that makes for interesting reading if you don't know of the band.

13. gassor

gassor There may be more posts after this.

Trashcan Sinatras all the way from Irvine town in Ayrshire. Harmonies, hooks by the bucket load, delicious wordplay and heartfelt honesty. Totally wonderful.

stephen bennett likes this.
  14. wylton

wylton pfm Member

Yes, me too.

This thread could run & Run; there are more bands that don't exist any more than those that do!

gavreid likes this.
  15. matt j

matt j pfm Member

I've a bit of a soft spot for The Mighty Lemon Drops

TheManWhoBuiltTheMoon likes this.
  16. Vince Parkin

Vince Parkin pfm Member

Yeah I liked "Live It Up" by Mental As Anything but the rest of the stuff they did was rather naff. I think I've still got the LP somewhere.

17. Mr Cat

Mr Cat Owner

interesting thread...

my first initial thought are the likes of andy white, Robert forster (go-betweens), and the men they couldn't hang, but they or still of course going strong...

what about bark psychosis... they did some amazing stuff, notably the album Hex and their EP - Nothing Feels / I Know..

Labradford - did some great stuff too...

18. Taff63

Taff63 pfm Member

No Sweat - did one self-titled rock album and disappeared. Shame as there are some great tracks on it.

Euan likes this.
  19. ian r

ian r 401's Nakman

Gopal- a group mostly of second generation Indian.... i have a feeling young Lemmy was masquerading as an Indian in the group....

i still love Classical Indian music and at the time the George Harrisson Within You without you and Inner Light were rock indian fusions that meant i bought Gopal on spec....

20. Dozey

Dozey Air guitar member

You don't hear much about Beggar's Opera these days ...

Euan and Mr Cat like this.