1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Long forgotten bands - were they any good ?

Discussion in 'music' started by avole, Feb 8, 2019.

1. madmike

madmike I feel much better now, I really do...

Charlie...now forgotten but championed by John Peel in the late seventies. First albums were excellent, well produced played and recorded. Drummer was called Steve Gadd (no relation to the famous one, but still a fantastic drummer nonetheless; listen to Turning to You on No Second Chance and try to count...)
    Saw them at Preston Poly some time around 1979 I think.

2. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

Just been reminded of The Boothill Foot Tappers...

3. Vinniemac

Vinniemac pfm Member

Patto. Oddball prog rockers. Good strong vocals from Mike Patto, but the main draw was always Ollie Halsall’s guitar pyrotechnics. A hugely underrated player.

jackbarron and stephen bennett like this.
  4. Stidge

Stidge Member

+1 for Shack - a great band.

I would also recommend Cleaners from Venus - Martin Newell is another one who should have been huge. He is a great songwriter

5. guydarryl

guydarryl pfm Member

Mean red spiders (Ipswich UK blues band).

Saw them live in my twenties, absolutely superb.
    They only made two albums: "nude guitarist in wet lettuce frenzy" - should have got an award for just the title - and "dark hours", available at Amazon!

Last I heard (a couple of years ago,Toni Vines was still playing around the Suffolk area, criminal that they didn't "make it big".

6. billo

billo pfm Member

I remember seeing The Farmers boys live once, they were entertaining. Were they related to The Higsons ?who were also quite good.
    I have just come across a 12 inch single by Basement 5 in Dub who always sounded good on the Peel radio shows

7. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Amp design and repairs.

For Aussie bands how about Jet?

8. Stidge

Stidge Member

I don't think the Farmers Boys were related to the Higsons but I did see them both on the same bill at the Hammersmith Palais back in '83 so maybe they shared a record label or something. They were a good band. I still have a pig shaped picture disc of theirs.

9. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Waiting for the streetcar..

Muck it Out was a great single

10. Seeker_UK

Wow! Memories!

When I worked in Andys Records, the second album got released on Gray Brothers records, a label set up by Andy specifically to release Dark Hours - up to then, Andy had only released reissues on BGO Records. The album was produced by Andy's brother, Billy.

As a result, we had to play the album regularly in store to the extent that we all got sick if it. I seem to recall it wasn't a big seller.

guydarryl likes this.
  11. Seeker_UK

Any love for Boxer - Patto and Halsall's next band?

12. Seeker_UK

Other bands that are long forgotten (in many cases for good reason):

Wally - sort of prog but more famous for getting support from 'Whispering' Bob Harris.
    Hula - Experimental / Industrial outfit from Sheffield but never made it as big as the Cabs of Human League.
    Spriguns / Spriguns of Tolgus - Folk-rock in the Steeleye Span / Sandy Denny-era Fairport.
    Atlanta Rhythm Section - Southern Rock. Couldn't give the albums away in the 90s.
    Wang Chung - 80s 'grown up' electronic rock. The soundtrack to 'Live and Die in LA' is possibly one of the most 80s records you can buy.

13. stephen bennett

stephen bennett Mr Enigma

Both were based in Norwich. Higsons students, FB locals

Stephen

14. stephen bennett

stephen bennett Mr Enigma

Post War Nudes. One excellent single on Virgin. One Tube appearance. Then gone.

Stephen

15. guydarryl

guydarryl pfm Member

I didn't realise that Andys records was involved - you have bought back memories for me now.

I used to regularly visit Andys records in Cambridge (Mill road?) while studying Chemistry HNC on day release at CCAT. Brilliant shop, happy days :)

16. Vinniemac

Vinniemac pfm Member

Can’t get beyond the terrible, sexist cover!

17. bigjonny

bigjonny Active Member

I saw them live with 2 other bands, Crawler and Moon, nothing memorable about any of them.

18. egodissolve

egodissolve ....you're telling me Unicorns aren't real!

Jeez, there were loads of Indie Aussie bands back in the day...I remember picking up a compilation LP called "Beyond the Southern Cross" and it was packed with underground talent. Obviously The Triffids and Severed Heads made some waves but others like Tactics, Lighthouse Keepers, The Clean and I'm Sparticus were wonderful. Celibrate Rifles spring to mind as well...Hot Records was hot!
    (New Zealand also had some wondrous bands, Chills, Stones, Sneaky Feelings...Flying Nun was releasing some quality stuff)
    Other bands like Do Ri Me produced some typical Aussie signature sound, their LP "Domestic Harmony" and "The Happiest Place in Town" were quality Aussie.
    As for the UK bands Blue in Heaven and Savage Progress were criminally underrated. Savage Progress LP "Celebration" is a classic, you only have to listen to "Heart begins to Beat" to realise this band had talent, I remember seeing them live supporting Thomson Twins and thought they were better than the main act. I also remember seeing Blue in Heaven supporting China Crisis and was totally blown away, again the LP "Explicit Material" is a must, fantastic Irish band,
    Flesh for Lulu, Artery, Getting the Fear, Zerra One....I could go on and on....great days...I have an LP collection full of them!

19. JustJohn

JustJohn pfm Member

The Colorblind James Experience.

20. vinylslug

vinylslug Rebuilding my Vinyl collection.

I'm listening to shack now as I was reading this thread: The Corner of Miles and Gil. Spooky! I think Mick head is a genius song writer. Good to see his work is getting some appreciation on here!!