1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

looking at powering a Japanese made dvd player 100 volt

Discussion in 'd.i.y.' started by valvenut, May 23, 2020.

1. valvenut

valvenut pfm Member

Would anyone have anything clogging up there draws that would run a japan voltage 100v dvd player on our 240v supply .
    I have a 110 volt convertor but would rather get a 100 volt to be on the safe side.

2. AudioAl

AudioAl pfm Member

3. martin clark

martin clark pinko bodger

It's a DVD player - does it have a switch-mode PSU inside? (default = yes; unless you tell us, 'actually, the unit is rather heavy in one rear corner near the mains input..')

What does any plate on the back actually say?

If it does have an internal SMPS (as is usual) - you simply do not have to worry about the nominal c. 10vAC discrepancy, at all :)

4. valvenut

valvenut pfm Member

This thing weighs a ton ...It says 100volt. how will I know if it has a switch SMPS.It is a DVS10a. THANKS

5. valvenut

valvenut pfm Member

Found a link to a picture with the lid off one does this help identify weather it has a SMPS. THANKS
    https://www.gzhifi.com/ls/gallery.php?id=1193&img=4893

6. valvenut

valvenut pfm Member

JUST SPOTTED THIS IS A 220 VOLT MODEL :( sorry

7. valvenut

valvenut pfm Member

8. mansr

mansr Objectionist

9. valvenut

valvenut pfm Member

Is the 220 volt model in that picture likely to be the same as the 100 volt one I have do you know ?thanks

10. mansr

mansr Objectionist

Presumably there's some difference, but most likely they both use an SMPS.

Regardless of power supply type, it has to be designed to cope with normal variations in mains voltage. Even if it is marked 100 V, it should be fine with 110 V. Of course, if your own mains is a bit high (mine hits 250 V now and again), the output of the 240-to-110 transformer will be somewhat higher still. It's impossible to know what upper limit it was designed for, but it's probably safe.

11. valvenut

valvenut pfm Member

Ok ,thanks, out of interest what difference does the SMPS make.

12. mansr

mansr Objectionist

The output voltage of a traditional transformer is simply the input voltage multiplied by the turns ratio. If the input voltage increases by 10%, then the output does too. An SMPS works differently. Simplified, it chops up the input voltage at a high rate and adjusts the pulse width or frequency (different designs are possible) to get the desired average voltage. This makes it much less sensitive to input voltage variations. Many switching power supplies can work with a wide range of input voltages. I'm sure you've seen equipment that can run on both 115 V and 230 V without a voltage selector switch. It's bit surprising, actually, that this DVD player comes in separate voltage versions.