1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for recommendations for a 'warm' sounding DAC

Discussion in 'audio' started by duckworp, Jan 14, 2020 at 12:27 AM.

1. Rosewind

Rosewind Lost in Translation

I thought that it was the flat-earthers among you Brits who outlawed tone controls.

booja30 and davidsrsb like this.
  2. DavidS

DavidS pfm Member

Indeed the 82 requires the best ps you can put on it to tame the harshness.

3. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

Adjusting tonal balance by swapping boxes and cables seems insane when Peter Walker solved the problem generations ago with the slope or tilt control

booja30, NeilK, Julf and 1 other person like this.
  4. Ptah

Ptah pfm Member

The Exposure 2010S2 is a great and sweet sounding DAC for not too much money.

5. lazycat

lazycat pfm Member

6. 406v6

406v6 pfm Member

I’ve got an 82 and Chord Dac in my system after demo’ing the DAC through several sets of speakers at the dealer including various B&W models. To my ears all of the B&Ws were top heavy, bass light and close to the point of being harsh. Agree with the point made by DavidS about the 82 benefitting from a decent power supply. All of the above leads me to the conclusion that you’ve got, irrespective of the source, a system tuned to creating the toppy thin sound that you don’t want. The latest Chord Dacs are detailed and neutral to my ears, not harsh. My advice would be to correct the underlying problem (the speaker / amp combination) rather than over compensate with a dull DAC. Keep the Chord Dac and replace the speakers.

duckworp likes this.
  7. Stuart Frazer

Stuart Frazer pfm Member

Another option is via Mark @MJS at Witch Hat, who will mod the 82 to be more like a 52 with various power supply options.

My advice is to power the 82 better firstly and then see which way you want to go after that.

8. lazycat

lazycat pfm Member

So. A guy asks for a component for his system which 'fits-in'.

All we get is your amps need upgrading, your speakers are sh*te. etc etc and backed up with diagrams/charts.

There are some valid points, especially with regards to Naim (I had Naim amps for 26 yrs).

But all he wants is a dac which suits his system. Can't we just get with the task in hand? Instead of dissing his whole system.

Sometimes I despair of this forum.

RichShortland likes this.
  9. JezmondTutu

JezmondTutu pfm Member

That’s exactly my experience of B&W and Naim amps.

10. JezmondTutu

JezmondTutu pfm Member

I don’t know why you feel that way as they are valid comments based on experiences. Easy to blame one component when the core issue lays elsewhere.

11. ryder

ryder pfm Member

Which Chord DAC?

If it were me, I would either replace the B&W 804S with a Harbeth or replace the Naim 82/180 with 282/250DR if the music is hurting my ears.

12. Thetiminator

Thetiminator Painfully virile

I agree with advice re an older DAC. Trichord Research Pulsar would be my choice. Mega bucks in its day and £200-£300 will get you a total minter. Lovely analogue sound...

NeilK likes this.
  13. lazycat

lazycat pfm Member

Yup there are valid comments, some of which I agree with. But, he justs wants a piece of kit which fits into his system.

And his experience with Chord dacs compares with my own. My Proacs are IME are far more neutral than any B+W speakers.

Sometimes British kit, of any kind including dacs, is vastly overrated.

14. russel

russel ./_dazed_and_confused

It was but we like to blame everything on everyone else, it's the national sport.

Rosewind likes this.
  15. maccar

maccar pfm Member

Either the RME ADI2 or an Audiolab M DAC+
    Mac

16. Electrostat

Electrostat Active Member

If you are able to solder I would consider an Audio Note UK kit. The entry model I heard sounded like it rolled off around 13 KHz.

17. DimitryZ

DimitryZ pfm Member

I have an NOS DAC - modern made, that is not doing anything. I will be happy to send it in, for a donation of your choice to an animal charity of your choice. It is 120 vac, but it's easy to get an adapter.

18. andrewd

andrewd pfm Member

I also have an aversion to metal dome tweeters. I like Dynaudio tweeters myself, but have by no means heard all the alternatives.

19. Hayche

Hayche pfm Member

DBX 215 or any graphic equalizer. Turn your hotspots down.

Julf and booja30 like this.
  20. geodiak

geodiak pfm Member