1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Low compliance MM or MC

Discussion in 'audio' started by Mark Packer, Mar 22, 2020.

1. Mark Packer

Mark Packer pfm Member

I have a Zeta on a Townshend Rock with brackets and a paddle which makes for an effective mass over 16g. Consequently I’m looking for a low compliance, reasonably priced MM or MC as a spare.

my Koetsu Rosewood is 10micro thingies and is a perfect match.

What would fellow fishes recommend?

2. early

early pfm Member

If it's just a spare than a Goldring E3 would fit the bill.

3. Mark Packer

Mark Packer pfm Member

4. Darren L

Darren L pfm Member

Mofi's range of MMs should suit and sound pretty good

5. chartz

chartz pfm Member

How about el cheapo DL-103 ?

Wilson and narabdela like this.
  6. Mr Pig

Mr Pig ^'- -'^

Audio Technica AT-3600L

Farcical cheap, less than £10 delivered, from China! Low compliance, high tracking weight, sounds ridiculously musical for the money.

"The AT-3600L. When you really are a tight b******!"

7. chartz

chartz pfm Member

I have a Rega Carbon, yes it is ridiculously good.

8. Mr Pig

Mr Pig ^'- -'^

Yip, same cart.

9. narabdela

narabdela who?

Same cartridge, big price difference. ;)

10. chartz

chartz pfm Member

I paid € 25. Not too dear.

11. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

10 micro thingies? Not sure what this is. The Rosewood (Red K) shunts out about 0.5 millivolts, I believe and has an internal impedance of 5 ohms with a rec. loading of 100. Regardless, I'm not at all sure you'd be happy changing to a more lowly spare should your K. need replacing/refurbishing. A low compliance m.m. looks like an oxymoron, so would be thin on the ground, I feel.

Maybe a Hana? Cheap but universally liked. Maybe a Benz, which is on the warmer side of neutral. Neither of these would require damping, I'd've thought.

12. PerF

PerF Member

I was about placing my order on a couple of these for spare duties, along with other stuff.

Better to wait as most carriers, flights etc are suspended next month or two

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020 at 7:23 AM
  13. Mr Pig

Mr Pig ^'- -'^

They're dirt cheap, just order them anyway. They'll turn up. I always have a few here.

14. Mark Packer

Mark Packer pfm Member

The 10micro thingies are the compliance. I couldn’t find a mu for micro

15. Mark Packer

Mark Packer pfm Member

Thanks guys keep the ideas coming.

16. audiopile

audiopile pfm Member

Not cheap as chips -but very nice and relativly low compliance -Goldring 1042 -I own 2 -a sure sign I like 'em -plus replaceable stylus and OEM styli still available.

17. Rockmeister

Rockmeister pfm Member

16g isn't that extreme...any compliance figure from 10-16 and cart weight from 5 and 12g will be fine.
    I owned a rock for many year...lovely sound.
    Assuming 'reasonable' to be in the context of the rosewood, and keeping some of the rosewoods warmth and bass weight, I'd have said the Hana SL, but the SL likes >400ohms. Perfect mini Koetsu if you can do the required loading.
    Otherwise I think a similar sound would be one of Ortofon's 'bronze' range, tuned for a slightly less cold and clear presentation over the blue and black. The Quintet is a fine all rounder, and at 9g and a compliance figure of 15, also a perfect arm match, and at >20 Ohms, probably an easier load for your phono stage?

Mr Pig likes this.
  18. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

As I thought (my post above). I've had Ks but not Hanas, so you've reinforced my idea of having a 'cheap' K. No idea about the Hana's output, though, and I think it depends as much on the phono stage as to the best loading compromise as the stated figures.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020 at 11:00 PM
  19. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Not AT ALL cheap. These were £120 plus 20 years ago, they were £200 when discontinued and replaced by the 2500 series (iirc). Great carts, but far from cheap.

20. PerF

PerF Member

I have recently aquired a 1012 & 1042 in need of new life, could you direct me to mentioned OEM styli and eventual any views ?
    Thanks