1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Low cost room correction methods

Discussion in 'audio' started by The Bish, Mar 25, 2020 at 8:53 PM.

1. The Bish

The Bish pfm Member

Hi all,

Can anyone point me in the direction of a good beginners guide to room correction for someone starting from scratch and wanting to do it as cheaply as possible?

Cheers and hope you are all bearing up.

2. tuga

tuga European

Do you mean acoustic treatment or signal processing?

3. The Bish

The Bish pfm Member

measurement and processing please, which I guess might lead to recommendations for room treatment as well as processing?

4. tuga

tuga European

First step is to buy a UMIK-1 USB measurement microphone.
    Then download RoomEQ Wizard and perform measurements of your room.

AV Nirvana, the home of REW, is probably the best site to ask for guidance in these matters.

5. zippy

zippy pfm Member

RoomEq wizard is indeed a good start, but the UMIKS are expensive, so borrow one if you can !
    There's a definite art to room measurement so be prepared for some learning !

6. barryb

barryb pfm Member

As above. One can then input the Room eq wizard filters into Roon for example, which is available for free demo on sign-up. You could assess whether room dsp is to your liking then, and worth further investment or exploration. It's a good tentative first step/ litmus test.

Most say DIRAC is best and most user-friendly, though it seems largely hardware driven at the minute, ie standalone demo/download for PC/ MAC not available.

Cheap Mini-DSP modules can also accept room eq filter recommendations. Some like the DDRC-24 can use both DIRAC and Room EQ, as well as proprietary EQ and filtering.

There are other software solutions available too, Sonarworks for example.

Most everybody with experience will tell you to correct up to approximately 300 hz only. Also, most will also tell you that Room DSP, while eminently useful in certain situations, is not a panacea. Something else we could do more with at the minute... ;)

Edit: https://community.roonlabs.com/t/a-guide-how-to-do-room-correction-and-use-it-in-roon/23800

7. The Bish

The Bish pfm Member

Thanks all, will get that measurement mic hopefully secondhand and start learning from there.

8. Paul Burke

Paul Burke pfm Member

Well worth a read to cover the first few parts and basics. Roon is very good for this if you can set up a trial too. It’s dsp engine has a lot of options, really get into it and can even use its convolution feature to go full on linear phase too. Lots to explore

https://www.roomeqwizard.com/help/help_en-GB/html/

9. al2002

al2002 pfm Member

Run, do not walk, to your keyboard and order this:

https://www.paradigm.com/en/wireless/pw-link

It is a stand alone box featureing Anthem DRC. Microphone included. It is the least expensive way to try out DSP based room correction.

You can use REW to measure your system before and after .

10. al2002

al2002 pfm Member

Bish, whether you get the Anthem box or not, a calibrated microphone is an absolutely essential tool if you want to learn what your room is like, acoustically speaking.

11. al2002

al2002 pfm Member

12. The Bish

The Bish pfm Member

Thanks Al. Can’t find that Paradigm box for sale in the UK - any idea where I could source one?

@Paul Burke thanks for that link, loads to learn there

13. al2002

al2002 pfm Member

Bish, best to order direct. I am based in the US and ordered direct from their site.

14. cnocmoy10

cnocmoy10 pfm Member

+ 1 for RoomEQwizard

15. Hoopsontoast

Hoopsontoast pfm Member

Mini DSP for a UMIK microphone, REW for the software.
    Then on value for the processing, one of the small MiniDSP boxes would do the trick.